Author Topic: Start of an osage ALB  (Read 22838 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Start of an osage ALB
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2021, 10:02:47 am »
Good Allyn, Glad it has helped.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2021, 01:10:40 am »
I got back in the shop today. Early on in the tillering process I continually check limb thickness using my hand and a pencil as a thickness gauge. You can see here where the pencil line highlights this thick area. I'll use the #49 Nicholson to remove the bulk then a scraper to remove the tool marks and even out the area...

I continue this pencil line through the handle area from limb to limb to keep the thickness consistent...

I'm using a slightly loose tillering string here on the tiller tree and after exercising well I pull to 17" on the tiller tree. She is pulling 50# at that 17" so I have plenty of weight to loose to adjust tiller...

Now it's time to get the good ole tiller Gizmo and tiller stick out. I don't use a tiller stick much except when using the Gizmo. My tiller stick only has 4 settings, 4.5", 7.5", 11.5" and 14"...

...and here you can see the Gizmo in action. The pencil line is where a few scrapes are needed...

Well, that's it for now. More to come...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2021, 05:04:03 pm »
Looking good Pat, I like to use the Gizmo also with my tiller stick at least until I get it to brace, seems no one much uses the tiller stick anymore but i always do until braced. Different strokes.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2021, 05:09:17 pm »
Pappy, like you I only use it early on. That's why my stick is so short. Using it only to brace should have little adverse affects on the bow and less chance of adverse affects on the bowyer too.  :o I've had longer tiller sticks slip and come close to beaning me.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2021, 05:20:52 pm »
Ya I just use them till brace, just seems most now just floor tiller and straight to long string, I just see what I am doing better with the stick to start out,also that's how I learned,I just take my time until I get it ready to brace. either way your bow is looking good. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2021, 09:16:07 am »
Enjoying the progress, Pat.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2021, 12:41:22 am »
I got the bow to brace today. The tiller is off with most of the bend at mid limb on both sides. The left side not as bad as the right. I still have at least 10# to sweat so I should be good.

This is pulled to 22", going for 26"

The one limb tip with the twist had a lateral bend near the tip so with as little oil, a little heat and a few clamps I made the adjustment. I also narrowed the tips to 1/2".  Once the string tracks correctly I'll start working on the handle.

Online Will B

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2021, 08:11:16 am »
Looking great Pat. Thanks for taking time to document the process with photos. I’m getting a lot out of this build.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2021, 08:11:21 pm »
Great build along!  Lots of good info!  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2021, 11:58:59 pm »
I decided to Draw the handle and shape it. I use a compass to draw 3 circles for a bulbous handle. On the center line of the handle I draw a circle 1 1/4" diameter and 2" either side of center (handle area) I draw a circle 7/8" in diameter then draw a line joining these circles on either side and then out to the 1 1/2" limb width at the fade. I also shortened the fades to 3" instead of the 4" I originally planned.

then I start shaping the handle with the farriers rasp and #49 Nicholson...

I keep drawing these reference lines around the handle area throughout the handle shaping to help keep me on track.

and here is the back profile of the bow. This bow is symmetrical but the pic shows otherwise.

I made a new string, got the bow to brace and sweated it for about an hour. Sweating is keeping a newly built bow braced for a period of time. Only do this if things are close to even. After the 1 hr sweat she still held 1" of reflex.  I still haven't determined top and bottom limb yet. That will after I shoot her some. She'll tell me which way is up.  ;)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2021, 08:02:43 am »
Dang pat all these little nuggets of info are awesome
In the woods I find my peace

Online bentstick54

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2021, 10:11:51 am »
Looking good Pat. Can’t wait to see itbending.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2021, 10:21:39 am »
It's coming along. Pat. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2021, 10:50:51 am »
Thanks guys.
 Allyn, that's why I did it. Passing on the knowledge someone else gave me.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2021, 11:43:10 am »
Perfect timing for the method on a bulbous handle. Headed to the basement to try and replicate your instructions Pat. Hopefully it'll turn out.  Thanks.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges