Author Topic: When is it too hot in temps for sinew backed  (Read 15775 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: When is it too hot in temps for sinew backed
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2021, 02:44:25 pm »
  Im not sure if what gets posted here is really a true representaion of of all bowmakers in the world,, its just a very small part of what is being made in the world, anything done to excess can damage or break a bow,, heat,, reflex,,overdrawing, bad tiller,,bad wood,, most the time I get the feelig over stressing a design, to reach a predetermined draw, blows alot of bows,, or a combination of several factors,, and most the time inexperience.. lately, keeping bows in very low humidity,, cause its winter,, lots of guys are working with marginal wood to start, because thats all they have, etc etc etc,, you can heat wood to your advantage, ,and when it is done to excess, then it would be pilot error, not the use of heat,, but thats just my thinking on it,,since I love to make bows,,and heat them when needed, maybe it is a superstition,, then I would be superstitious,, I blow sage smoke on my bows too,,and do other secret things that I dont speak of,, (-S

Offline RyanY

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2021, 02:57:06 pm »
The master has failed more times than the beginner has tried.

Offline Tom Dulaney

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 03:01:09 pm »
I haven't broken a sinew backed bow or a heat treated one. 

Lies.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2021, 03:24:51 pm »
RyanY,, wow such a great quote,, thanks for posting,, :)

Offline willie

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2021, 05:26:00 pm »
Pretty sure the mods are hovering  their finger over the red button next to your name currently.

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."– Eric Hoffer

Offline PatM

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2021, 05:53:59 pm »
"You can learn a lot about the experience of a person if  you've ever seen an example of their work".

Me

lol

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2021, 06:22:08 pm »
im getting ready to put the butane torch to some sinew on a scrap piece of wood,, will post results and pics later,, :)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2021, 02:37:05 pm »
   ok this is just a test piece of osage with sinew glued with hide glue,, just doing a bit of heat testing,,its not very scientific and keep in mind,, I did write a couple of articles for Primitive Archery, so Im kinda published,, right???
I made the hide glue myself from rawhide scraps and it seems as good as the stuff I buy,, and holding up pretty good so far,,enjoy,, ;D

Offline StickMark

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2021, 04:19:37 pm »
Got to be some knowledge coming out of that test right there...

Offline Morgan

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2021, 07:53:17 pm »
I haven't broken a sinew backed bow or a heat treated one.  Sounds like you've made neither.

Pretty sure the mods are hovering  their finger over the red button next to your name currently.

Needs to happen imo.  Information on any site like this will never be totally correct, and a good deal will be regurgitated info. That is very different than spewing bs for the sole purpose of stirring the pot. New bowyers look to this site for help and direction,  Many of which never getting an account or making a post. Blatantly false bs is detrimental to what I believe this site to be. Valid arguments with actual first hand experience, or even “research” that extends beyond hand picked snippets to prove a point is good and helps our knowledge grow. Stirring the pot for the sake of being different is very different. The knowledge pool will be better with this nonsense culled.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2021, 01:55:11 am »

https://www.atarn.org/chinese/Yanghai/Scythian_bow_ATARN.pdf

The core's back was made round as the original's, scraped smooth, lightly
grooved, well sized with glue and the limbs backed with sinew (soaked in 25%
glue) over the (future) deflexed sections. This backing was done before bending
the mid-limbs for the added security. The sinew did not need to be applied in the
final thickness at this time. Since the heat required for bending could cause
delamination of the limbs, the entire mid-limb section was then bound with
sinew.[/b]

The ambient humidity should be no less than about 60%RH for the materials to
have sufficient moisture content for bending. The 60%RH represents moderately
humid conditions, which would likely be encountered in a human-occupied tent
even in a dry climate of Central Asia, perhaps augmented by a pot with boiling water.

The sections were exposed to slow heat, making sure the surface  temperature did not exceed 60⁰c, for about 1 hour. Then the limbs were bent  over pre-made formers (similar to the Turkish tepeliks for the replica). The forces  needed to flex the core were not excessive at all. The pressure was maintained  until the curvature exceeded the desired profile to account for spring-back. Since  the bow‟s core, unlike in the finished bow, was wider than thicker at this stage  and the bending was done in the plane perpendicular to the greater dimension of  the laminated limb, no problems with limb twist was encountered and the limbs  remained perfectly aligned.  After the limbs had cooled, the sinew binding was removed, leaving the sinew  backing in place. There was some slippage of the parts at one of the wood splices  within the core, now visible on the belly. It did not, however, weaken the limb in  any way and the splice held well. Interestingly, on the original bow's back, a  small step was found at the location of one of the splices where the parts joined.  If the step was caused by the slippage at the splice, it indicates the original bow  could indeed be heat-bent after the core was laminated together, following the  same methods as in the replica, with the slip under the sinew left unseen by the  bowyer and never corrected. There is no doubt this method was the most logical  and practical for the bowyer to force the limbs into the permanent deflex.

3:50 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6AUq6f5SD8

This is the part where JW Halverson publicly apologizes to me for his barbaric arrogance and stupidity.

You have gone too far. I demand an apology from you for your insults. You have never once posted a lick of your work, and recently have become nothing but a thorn in the side of this entire community.

Furthermore, I am calling you out publicly. Post your work or shut up.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fox

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2021, 02:24:51 am »
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline sleek

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2021, 07:57:49 am »
I guess all those world record holders didn't know what they were doing when they set their bows in the full sun to get hot in the Salt flats before the competition. Weird.

And I guess I was clueless when I get treated the bow that set a new world record. Man I wish I'd have met Tom before hand!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2021, 08:58:06 am »
He's been warned and a record of the warning logged.  Next time he will be banned
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2021, 09:20:00 am »
Hey Tom, I set a world record using the very methods you scream about. I challenge you to come to the salt flats and prove your points.

You keep telling people to shut up they are wrong and they have no idea what they are talking about. You demand a breakdown of the logic they use to inform you that you are incorrect, but don't return those expectations to them. All you say is they don't know what they are talking about. Here lemme teach you a new phrase. It goes like this: "I have no idea what you are talking about." You should repeat that over and over until your light comes on.

You said you haven't broke a bow in two years. I guess thats probably like my perfect golf score. You don't build bows and I dont play golf.

You limit reality to the confines of your ability to understand and lemme tell ya, you live in a small world.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others