Author Topic: Young newbies on the forum.  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Young newbies on the forum.
« on: February 11, 2021, 11:19:07 am »
I’ve noticed a new interest in the young folks on our site. It’s exciting for me to see this. The problem I’ve had and should apologize for is my ability to be the grouchy old geezer being a bit hard on there enthusiasm not knowing there ages. Maybe I should apply that to the old geezers also. Any how youngsters we mean no harm. A simple I’m young and new to bow making should make us old geezers aware to be more kind and have more patience. . Y’all youngsters keep it up and share with everyone of your buds that have interest in bow making. This is how this will continue for years to come. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Young newbies on the forum.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 11:43:55 am »
I was a young newbie just a few years ago Arvin. All the sudden I'm a almost 60 year old fart. Hopefully not to grumpy.
I’m really glad to see the young and young at heart newbies to. I hope they understand that some of the grumpy old timers have answered the same questions hundreds of times.

It takes time and patience to do that. I also hope they realize they can learn a lot from them if they can put up with us.

Brogg

PS thanks all you grumpy old farts who have helped me on this journey. Many have become really good friends
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 11:51:33 am »
I was a young newbie just a few years ago Arvin. All the sudden I'm a almost 60 year old fart. Hopefully not to grumpy.
I’m really glad to see the young and young at heart newbies to. I hope they understand that some of the grumpy old timers have answered the same questions hundreds of times.

It takes time and patience to do that. I also hope they realize they can learn a lot from them if they can put up with us.

Brogg

PS thanks all you grumpy old farts who have helped me on this journey. Many have become really good friends

Yes the PS part is the very best part. My friendships can’t be counted and still  counting . Arvin

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:58:58 am »
What about those who are young, but have just enough experience to be dangerous? >:D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 12:11:02 pm »
What about those who are young, but have just enough experience to be dangerous? >:D

Oh that’s still me!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 12:18:41 pm »

Oh that’s still me!

Me too

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 12:29:01 pm »
Arvin... I haven’t caught any old grouchyness from you yet  ;)

I’ve been making bows for 3 years (I’m 16 now) and it’s been a fun and slow path to making successful bows, and I’m still just not quite there yet. But you all have been incredibly helpful.... many bows wouldn’t have made it without some advise from y’all.,.,

I do sometimes feel like I’m pestering you all with questions though ;D so sorry about that  ;)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 12:38:41 pm »
Thanks maybe I will know more of you thru this thread.
Arvin

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 12:50:43 pm »
Fox don’t be afraid to ask those questions. I’m sure every time someone asks them several more lurking out there are happy someone did.

Also don’t be surprised if you get several completely different answers. It’s always interesting how many different ways people do the same thing.

Bjrogg

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 01:24:03 pm »
Of any hobby I’ve been a part of, the bow making community is by far the best. I’ve never met a more supportive group of people. Bow making is addictive in and of itself but if the community wasn’t as kind as it is I’m sure I’d have wandered into some other hobby to keep out of trouble.  (lol) One thing that comes with this enthusiasm is A LOT of feedback. If you can take that through a positive lens things will be fine.

I’ve been making bows for about 13 years on and off. Not sure where that puts me. All I know is I still learn new things all the time.  ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 01:57:09 pm »
Arvin... I haven’t caught any old grouchyness from you yet  ;)

I’ve been making bows for 3 years (I’m 16 now) and it’s been a fun and slow path to making successful bows, and I’m still just not quite there yet. But you all have been incredibly helpful.... many bows wouldn’t have made it without some advise from y’all.,.,

I do sometimes feel like I’m pestering you all with questions though ;D so sorry about that  ;)

Over the years, and I have been here since 2008, some of the BEST contributors have been young persons like yourself. A very few have stuck around and are still here, but most have gotten incrementally busier as they become adults and all that responsibility crashes down onto their shoulders. As much as I would love to see them still around, I know that they are carrying the acquired knowledge and skills with them as they start and finish college, and/or start a family, get married, or find other interests. What I wouldn't give to have them stop by here once in a while to update us on where they are with their lives.

And some we know will never come by again.
R.I.P. AliciaArchery
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 02:11:29 pm »
 This is a great topic Arvin. In this world of instant gratification it's very pleasing to see younger people interested in bow making.
    I made my first selfbow in 1999, killed a deer with it opening day, then life got in the way. About 4 years ago the bug bit bad and now I have a little more time to build. I agree with Ryan about the bow building community. Probably, the most generous group of people I've ever met. Thanks to all the more experienced bowyers who selflessly share their knowledge. This is a great site.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 02:27:23 pm »
We saw a huge influx of people asking to join ghe "board bow building" Facebook page this last year as people were cooped up at home and looking for things to do. A lot of the homely grey-grizzled faces you see in here, yes, but also a whole lot of fresh faces looking for a budget friendly way to get a start. It's been great seeing the ambition and excitement in their posts.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 02:53:19 pm »
I started about 2 years ago, If I remember right I got about 15 attempted bows. 3 I gave up on, 1 is my first one, 4 came out really bad, I made one really good one that’s out of commission and the rest I broke... a lot of those you guys haven’t seen I believe. But I am trying. I know I don’t make a lot of useful threads and that I can kinda be annoying in other threads since I don’t normally bring a lot to the conversation, but I have been learning a lot. I’m always taking notes (figuratively and literally) I’m always going back to old threads, and all I can say really is thank you! I’m glad I’m in this community of awesome and knowledgeable people!

Maybe I’ll post about all the things I done in the last little bit... it’s just not that good or interesting... anyway, I’m just glad I’m here  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:58:19 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 03:03:43 pm »
Russell, you are one of the people I referred to above. I'm happy you are still here and still swinging for the bleachers with ever time at bat!