Author Topic: Non Electric Fridge and a look at Curling along with a outlook on Life  (Read 1708 times)

Offline BrianS

Here is a link to a video I made about a option for a non electric fridge, a look at the sport of curling and a outlook on Life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDDVElNEKLA
Take care Everyone,
brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Non Electric Fridge and a look at Curling along with a outlook on Life
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 09:19:07 am »
Enjoyed Brian, nice ice box. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 09:56:07 am »
Use to run lots of non electric stuff in camp. Had a fridge that was propane. Fact its still there and prolly almost 70yrs old.

My grandfather had an ice house on his place up north on lake. They cut ice by hand and hauled it into ice house and layed it up in sawdust layers. They sold it all year for non electric ice boxes. The Dairy would deliver it with the milk to house.

Not sure what was in video?

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline BrianS

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 10:27:24 am »
HH,
Here are a few pictures of the ice. Maple sap collection should start soom so my friend was making a cooler of sorts to store the sap when it starts flowing and before he can boil. His lower collection area is near a creek so this is what he came up with. The ice blocks were quite heavy but he came up with a system to get them out and in place.
Take care,
brian
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:51:38 am by BrianS »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:33:43 am »
The rest of the video was about a saying about Life. It went like this. When I asked a Pastor how he was doing one day. His response was Always Good , Sometimes Better. Kinda like Pappy's Life is Good saying. So I called the video Always Good Sometimes Better. The Curling part in the video was just about the same friend building a big ice rink to play curling on. Thought maybe some folks may have never heard of curling.
Have a good one,
brian

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 10:42:33 am »
HH,
I never played curling but it looks like fun. I think there may be some consuming of adult beverages involved. Here is a picture of the 80lb stones they use. Looks like a warmup is coming soon so all this Winter stuff may be gone in a Month or so.
Take care,
brian

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 10:50:09 am »
Another Winter time sport up here is snowsnake. It is played by Members of the Iroquois and they look like they take it very serious. Weighted spear like darts are thrown down a frozen slightly elevated icy track (not the best description) and I believe the object is to "throw / slide" your shaft the farthest. I have only seen it in videos but would love the opportunity to try it sometimes. Maybe someone on this board has some experience playing the game?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 01:05:48 pm »
about curling, with the target i believe its a huge game of sorry or trouble or whatever its called. try to get your stone on the bullseye and try to knock others stones out of it.

this was probably my favorite video!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 05:19:30 pm »
Looks cool. Why take dap so early in season?

My grand dad cut it with hand saws and then hauled it on horse drawn sleds. Went into a stone block building that was half in ground Filled with sawdust from sawmill. I guess it was easy $ cuz it was right in front on his cabins on lake and main house was up hill across dirt road.

We use to make many gallons of maple syrup in March mostly had a stone firepit and large custom stainless pan with mesh cover 5’x6’ maybe. Back when you did buckets not pec lines. We barreled it and hauled it to pit. Last refinement was done on a propane outfit.

I like making cider vs syrup. Both are hood but nuthing like fresh mixed apple cider. I showed my wife last year how to make it after i found a bunch of wild trees that had lots of fruit.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW