Author Topic: Sturgeon Backed Hackberry Static  (Read 6822 times)

Offline PaSteve

Sturgeon Backed Hackberry Static
« on: March 22, 2021, 12:37:28 pm »
    This bow came from a straight 58" hackberry stave that had been cut in 2018. Never having worked with hackberry I decided to try something else I had never attempted... a static recurve. The stave was 1 3/4' wide so I wanted to try and keep width reduction to a minimum. Every bow I learn something new and this was no exception.
    The first recurve cracked so I decided to soak the other tip before boiling and it worked out great. Lesson 1 (when doing a sharp bend soak the wood at least overnight to facilitate a good bend with no fracture). After rasping through the crack I Figured it was best to strengthen the wood with a belly overlay. Thanks to Pat B for his advice on the overlay process. I wound up using maple mainly because that's what I had on hand.
    The bow was heat treated twice during tillering and I used dry heat for tip and handle alignment. After shooting the bow a little I was happy with the way the bow performed so I decided to dress it up a little. I had a small pair of sturgeon skins and figured black aniline dye may help cover up the scorched belly from the heat treating. I always liked the way thread wraps look so I I did some with nylon serving thread. Laying out the sturgeon skin I slightly miscalculated the width. This skins were narrow and the width would fit but the scutes wouldn't be centered. I decided to go with it anyway since my bow back was prepped and already sized with hide glue. Lesson 2 (when working with sturgeon skins pay better attention to the pattern of the scutes). This was my first time using sturgeon as a backing and I can say that it reminds me more of rawhide than a snakeskin. I like a matte finish on my bows for hunting. I decided to try pure tung oil as bownarrer recommended. It's a little more timely on the finish end but it was easy to apply and gave me the finish I was looking for. It also really made the grain pop with the aniline dye. Lesson 3 (pure tung oil makes for a great looking matte finish). I made some tung/mineral/beeswax mixture as a top coat to apply and buff off after the tung oil fully cures.
    Overall, I'm quite impressed with hackberry. It's easy to work with, very light in physical weight and performs well. The bow has a bulbous style handle with virtually no shock, is pretty short and will be perfect for deer hunting this fall.
     Thanks for looking.

Specs: Asymmetrical   58" NTN 47#@26"  1 3/4 wide at fades tapered to 7/16" tips    Red heart tip overlays    Maple belly overlays
                   Dyed elk leather handle wrap with kangaroo lace     Inlaid beavertail strike plate (left 1/32" proud)    Sturgeon skin backing
                    6 strand 452X string        7 coats pure tung oil finish
Static Hackberry by Steve Woodruff, on Flickr Static Hackberry by Steve Woodruff, on Flickr Static Hackberry by Steve Woodruff, on FlickrStatic Hackberry by Steve Woodruff, on Flickr
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline PaSteve

Re: Sturgeon Backed Hackberry Static
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 12:43:39 pm »
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 12:48:22 pm »

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 12:54:19 pm »
Awesome static!!! Very well done 👍🏻

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 12:57:36 pm »
Very nice steve, I think it turned out great
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 12:57:44 pm »
That's sweet! nicely done!.... one question that always comes to mind though when I see someone with a sturgeon skin backing.... aren't surgeons greatly endangered?  (don't mean to be so grouchy)  (lol)

really sweet bow you got there... :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 02:12:55 pm »
Beautiful Steve.

I think those lessons all came with very little damage. Bow looks fantastic to me.

Like the bend. Actually for its length it doesn’t look overstressed. It really looks like if it had to it could go a little more.

I keep hoping to come across some sturgeon some time.

Bjrogg

PS fox I could be mistaken, but I think if you know where to find them. They are raise commercially. It’s the wild ones that are protected and they can live to a very old age.

Like I said though I could be mistaken. I’ve never seen one. I know fishing season here is over in a couple hours. They don’t allow very many and I’ve never tried fishing for them.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Will B

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 03:40:26 pm »
Nice bow Steve. Beautiful finish work. I really like the look of hackberry with a dark stain. Brings out that nice grain. Should be a great bow to take hunting. Best of luck with it and Great job!

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 03:45:07 pm »
That is a pretty sweet lookin' bow. Very nicely done and I hope it does its job in the deer woods for you.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 03:46:42 pm »
That’s about perfect! Really doesn’t get any nicer than that.
I believe that most of the sturgeon we see here are raised commercially, but there is also a fishery in the Pacific Northwest that is pretty heavily regulated but also very attainable.

Offline HH~

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 07:26:39 pm »
Steve
That came out nice. Hackberry dries nice and light, bet it's a snappy little devil. Those little hooks go well with a short bow! I see fu and blood in that bows future.

Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 09:09:37 pm »
   That’s a looker for sure! Looks well balanced Mr. Woodruff, really nice...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 10:50:20 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Much appreciated. Fox, the sturgeon skins are totally legal to obtain. They come from a sustainable fishery.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 11:39:05 pm »
The bow came out real nice, Steve. The full draw, braced and unbraced are all exceptional. Skins look great too.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smoke

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 09:10:19 am »
 Wow!  You really nailed that one!  Great job!