Author Topic: Year of the Patriot: Gardens  (Read 33122 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Year of the Patriot: Gardens
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2021, 09:23:37 am »
Hybrid. Known to have a thick skin and does not split easy.

You know a woman shopping for a few tomatos wont take a split.

Think i have six kinds in.

Ready to put peppers in this week.

40 again last nite. My tomatoes look pitiful!

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Stoker

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2021, 10:19:19 am »
Taters popped out. Seeds ready to go in a week.
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2021, 09:11:40 am »
In the picture I posted the larger tomatoes are a Defiant hybrid, these are the best I have grown so far, it is very rare to have any splits in the tops of these. In my garden every better boy I planted was sure to split.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2021, 01:01:29 am »
My "go to" tomato around here has been a variety called Jet Star. It's a good eating,canning and freezing tomato and handles the heat well. I planted six today, a couple romas and some pepper plants before work today.

Offline HH~

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2021, 09:26:19 am »
Done Jets before too. Mountain Fresh was the first in the Mountain Hybrids with thick skins aimed at the female tomatoe squeezers in the local markets. I always put a few good plums out for making sauces and such.

42 this morning, this winter weather spring feels like it wont quit. Wont be a seed grown outdoor tomatoe sold before 7 Aug here, no way.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2021, 09:38:03 am »
Replanting okra today, I only got about 30% germination on the last go round, to cold for good okra germination so far.

A little row will do me, the stuff is very prolific and hard to give away. I probably still have 5 or 6 gallons of it in the freezer from last year. I love it fried with squash and green tomatoes but only allow myself this high calorie treat every now and then. I can some stewed with tomatoes but still never use what I grow.

Offline HH~

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2021, 09:55:28 pm »
Loved stewed tomatoes and okra.

HH~

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2021, 09:14:52 am »
Anybody else have trouble getting seeds up  this year? Okra and cantaloupe were pitiful, thank goodness I started squash, tomatoes and cucumbers in pots so I had something growing.

My next door neighbor had the same problem, he gave up, plowed everything in and started over.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2021, 09:55:53 am »
Yep. Planted lettuce twice and it never came up. I planted spinach at the same times and only the later row is showing any plants.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2021, 10:20:59 am »
I like blueberries, I have been helping some friends start a patch of their own and buying year old plants. I have 7 plants in my patch from 1 year old to 20 years old.. Yesterday I decided to try to root cuttings to produce bushes that I can give a way to more friends. I watched all the youtube videos and found out my previous rooting from cuttings attempts had been done all wrong.

Round two, 4 different varieties;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2021, 10:39:21 am »
Eric, does YouTube suggest using a closure to maintain high humidity around the cuttings? A plastic bag works good for this. It will keep the leaves from loosing too much moisture as the rooting takes place. If you use this method you'll need an air change every couple of days to keep it all healthy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2021, 11:47:38 am »
Got to get hose and stuff to rig up my watering system, everything is in tubs that are about 19" wide and high.  The blueberries will have a sprinkler with a cutoff valve, everything else gets a section of soaker hose.  Put in JetStar, a Parks Whopper, TripleCrop, and a bush Early girl that has blossoms, still have to put in the Roma's and pear and cherrys.  Planted basil with each tomato.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2021, 03:12:23 pm »
Nice I took some blackberry roots cuttings and they are doing fine. easier than B Berry.

Gone from 40's to 90's in course of seven days! Long cold spring, boom, now its summer. Glad al my stuff is in and set. If we get a supper hot summer its gonna be a bear to get a really bumper crop however.

Hedge

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2021, 08:13:53 pm »
I have a top for the cuttings tub I have it in place and will take it off every few days to let the air change out.

Offline HH~

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2021, 10:03:06 pm »
Strawed in my tomatoes. Gettin ready for 90 degree heat this week. Need to straw my peppers soon.
Got a gella that sell straw down road at farm. They toss all busted bales out trailers. I go rake it up and truck it to house.

Hedge~