Author Topic: Almost Twins: Bamboo-Apple-Osage & Bamboo-Bulletwood-Osage ELB Stylish Bows  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Lehtis

Greetings from Finland!

Quite proudly presenting the latest Corona time products from my workshop: Bamboo-Apple-Osage & Bamboo-Bulletwood-Osage ELB Stylish Longbows. Both bows have bamboo back (from a hardware store) and Osage Orange belly (grown and harvested in Hungary).

The first bow has apple tree core which I made from ca. 35 cm long log from an old apple tree. That tree grew at my childhood home and has been cut down several decades ago. I have saved and used pieces of itīs trunk for citchen cutting boards, knife handles etc. and this log was the last piece of that tree. I bandsawed it  to slices and V-glued it to core laminate. Propably Iīll nominate this bow as Spirit of Apple. This bow is ca. 71,5" and shows 83 lbs @ 28".

The second bow is actually a refurbished or fixed older bow, named as 12 Pieces Stick. Itīs belly was made from several pieces of osage and also the core was V-glued at handle so it was really made from 12 pieces of boo, wood and horn. Unfortunately itīs puzzle belly didnīt last and started to break below handle area; a knot and glue joint. Itīs back and core were OK so I removed the belly totally and replaced it with a solid piece of osage. This bow turned actually a bit heavy, 86 lbs @ 28", but I think my muscles will learn quickly.

Both bows have water buffalo horn nocks and arrow pass. The strings are 16 strands of BCY 55 (to meet IFAA competition rules). The bows have several layers of Tru-Oil and their handles are leather from flea market.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:03:38 pm by Lehtis »

Offline Lehtis

More pics...

Offline Lehtis

... and more ...

Offline Lehtis

... and the last ones.

Offline silent sniper

Both of those are beautiful laminated longbows! Excellent job 👍🏻
-Taylor

Offline Kidder

Very nice! Apple wood is really beautiful and this is no exception. Am I missing seeing a full draw photo?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Very handsome, like the leatherwork on the grips.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Beautiful pair, nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lehtis

Full draw pics will follow as soon as I get some extra hands to handle my camera... patience, please.  :)

Offline Lehtis

The bows got names also.

Offline Lehtis

Very proud to tell that these bows work fine. A couple of weeks ago on Saturday I participated a traditional archery competition with the ”Reborn” bow in south-west corner of Finland. We shot traditional American Round, now 14th year, and I succeeded to wint the game. My score was 554 which is now our national record and so far the second result over 500; still far from my well over 600 excercise results. No glass or other modern materials allowed in bows (adhesives and string excluded) and wooden arrows (no plastic nocks).

On the following Sunday some 100 km towards east from the previous place I participated National Championships on Animal Targets, IFAA’s rules. The ”Spirit of Apple” was in duty shooting 406 and I won gold in AMHB Class. That score meets my European Record shot in Holland just before Corona started to spread world wide.

By the way, dou you shoot American Rounds there in USA still today (with non-glass-bows)? I know in earlier days this was more or less common competition as well as York Round, a real manhood test.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Congratulations Lehtis.Nice successful way of sandwiching splices under overlays.Impressive and great looking bows.
In the U.S. they have in this state a 3D accuracy shoot throughout the summer adding up scores from multiple shoots.It is mostly dominated by compound shooters.In other states they might very well have traditional shooting contests.
My buddies and me shoot traditional at the same shoots.I shoot self and horn bows.We cannot oust their accuracy but we do have a lot of fun.We are all hunters here.Mostly white tailed deer,elk,hog,and turkey.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:25:42 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline hoosierf

Outstanding- congratulations. 

Offline Lehtis

Finally got Full Draw pictures for BOM. Hereīs Spirit of Apple on duty:

Offline Lehtis

... and hereīs Reborn.
As some may notice there are now a couple of bandages on the lower limb. I found two pin knots there and very tiny compression fractures around them so I decided, just in case, to wrap those with BCY55 thread. The bow still works fine.