Author Topic: Eastern Two Fletch  (Read 11382 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Eastern Two Fletch
« on: May 12, 2021, 08:12:25 pm »
  Wanted to show the orientation I use on the Eastern Two Fletch...I guess there's more than one way to do it but I've done some research and also from trial and error I've learned early on that I need rotation of my points for accuracy and to guard against wind plain...I have seen 2 fletch many ways even representing a flu flu type with wind drag...I prefer to use a 90 degree helo that gives me a rapid spin that delivers point control and quiet speed...I have here some pics that might help explain the orientation...You will see an overhead view of feather clearance of the handle along with the amount of helo to create spin to stabilize my points in flight...This is from a hunters perspective and what has been working for me...
                                                                                                                                                                            Don
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 06:04:28 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Eastern Two Fletch
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 08:13:43 pm »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 01:28:41 am »
Thanks so much for making this post! This will definitely help me with my next batch of arrows... very excited to give this a try! Those look really nice  ;)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 05:38:23 am »
   Glad you have an interest Fox...Let me know if I can help...I soak the feathers in water before attaching and pull tight while wrapping...I found I have to use a sinew thread to tie the center of the feather down against the shaft to make them scary quiet...Once tied and dried I use pine pitch shellac to water proof all the sinew wraps...These can hunt in the rain
                                                                                                                                                                          Don
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:48:24 am by burchett.donald »

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 01:55:36 pm »
Great thanks! Do you use any glue? or is it all just sinew holding it on? also any chance you know what volume In TBB they had this type of fletch?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 04:10:01 pm »
Fox,
         Yes, I soak my sinew in a light hide glue mixture...After it dries and pulls tight I brush pine pitch shellac over all the wraps...

Don
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:22:07 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 05:48:14 pm »
 Here are a few pics of the rear folded wrap...Looking closely at the photo you can see the folded quill, this isn't necessary...I start at the rear "90 degrees" perpendicular to the nock/string groove with a few wraps then fold over and continue wrapping until secure...I then move to the front and pull the wet quill tight, in line with the nock/string groove and finish wrapping, taking care to cover the quill well to protect my hand...You can pull the wet quill end tight towards the point end of the arrow as you wrap and then trim...The first time I made these I had a loud buzz from the quill vibrating against the shaft, it was remedied by the small tie in the center to hold it tight against the shaft...The artist's rendition in the above photo was probably very accurate showing the gap between feather and shaft...Keep in mind this isn't the only way to tie a 2 fletch but works for my personal application...
                                                                                                                                                    Don
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:27:23 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline Fox

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 10:09:06 pm »
Thanks for the detailed pictures and description! excited to work on my arrows :)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 02:05:18 am »
  I Found Patrick's  "build along"   He uses the fold over method in this one... Very informative thread       

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=13025.0

Don

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 04:35:39 am »
Beautifully fletched :) I've never really given these 2 fletch arrows a proper try out. These should work well with the goose feathers we get around here.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 10:46:38 am »
I never wanted to try this until now, thanks for posting this Donald
In the woods I find my peace

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 02:08:42 pm »
   Thanks for the compliment bownarrow...Goose should work just fine...

Allyn, no problem...Be sure and check out Patrick's "build along" I linked above...That guy has talent

Don

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 07:33:18 am »
Great looking fletch job, Don! Your sinew wraps are as clean as it gets. When you say ‘pine pitch shellac’, do you mean pine pitch soaked in turpentine? Or some other mixture? Thanks!
Bellaire, MI

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 08:57:33 am »
   boomhowzer,
                        Crystalized pitch, hard crumbly pitch dissolved in denatured alcohol...When the alcohol carrier evaporates the pitch returns to it's crystalized state...I apply with a small paint brush and the alcohol helps it penetrate into the sinew wraps or sinew backing...Haven't had any cracking or flaking either...Seems to be flexible also...Water resistance is awesome!
                       Don

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 09:38:36 pm »
Okay, so it sounds like the same concept, just different solvents. I've finished a bow and a few arrow shafts in the turpentine/sap solution and its wood protection properties are amazing. Better than anything I've ever used from the store, but I never tried it on sinew and hide glue because I was afraid the turpentine would dissolve the hide glue. I'll have to give it a try next time.

One more clarifying question before I get into it though. I know 'pitch' to be pine sap and charcoal dust mixed together and heated up (very strong glue). Do you mean this type of pitch? or are you referring to plain tree sap?

Bellaire, MI