Author Topic: Trade bow - ERC-boo with mammoth and stingray  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Kidder

Trade bow - ERC-boo with mammoth and stingray
« on: May 15, 2021, 01:25:46 am »
So I finished up my trade bow last night. It’s a 66 inch TTT boo backed ERC. 40lbs at 26 inches. It maintains a little less than an inch of reflex after shooting it in (100 arrows over two sessions). I’m really happy with how it came out but I would have liked to have had a little more room on the draw weight to tweak the tiller a little, but it is what it is. I didn’t put a rest on it but did do an inlay with mammoth tusk for the strike plate. The tip overlays are mammoth over Buffalo horn. The grip is stingray. Finally the finish is 2 coats of tung oil finish followed by 4 coats of Truoil, buffed to a nice shine with pumice and oil. I hope my trade recipient likes it and gets many years of enjoyment from it.
2021 primitive archer trade bow by B Kidd, on Flickr

Offline Fox

Re: Trade bow - ERC-boo with mammoth and stingray
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 01:32:01 am »
Oh goodness, that's so pretty! I love the stingray wrap! How do you procure mammoth tusk?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 01:35:28 am »
Oh goodness, that's so pretty! I love the stingray wrap! How do you procure mammoth tusk?
Thanks! Traded a dragon egg to a mysterious man in a tavern for the mammoth! Actually picked it up in a trade with a member here. Its not rare but also not super easy to find either - there are some online vendors, mostly that specialize in knife scales, I’ve found.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 02:01:56 am by Kidder »

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:17:58 am »
Kidder,
you did an extremely nice job, I don’t know how it could get any better. Fantastic work 👍🏻
-Taylor

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 08:32:57 am »
That is a beautiful bow!  I love everything about it.  The tiller looks great, tips are beautiful and the contrast between the boo and ERC is fantastic.  Nicely done Kidder.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 08:57:03 am »
*wolf whistle*
In the woods I find my peace

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 09:07:15 am »
Very nice Kidder. Excellent job!
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 09:11:42 am »
Well done. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 09:17:41 am »
Very nice.  I wonder how warthog tusk would work for ivory....  :)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 09:23:45 am »
Absolutely beautiful. Anyone would be lucky to receive that!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 10:18:21 am »
Very cool!  Was it made from an ERC stave?  You did a great job preventing frets that I see when using the pretty heartwood instead of sapwood.  Well done! :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Kidder

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 07:17:02 pm »
Very cool!  Was it made from an ERC stave?  You did a great job preventing frets that I see when using the pretty heartwood instead of sapwood.  Well done! :OK
It was from an ERC board. And funny that you should say that about frets...I was looking at it in the light this morning and low and behold was about a dozen small frets on the upper limb spread out over a foot or so. I almost cried. Went and turned on some music, it was Van Morrison playing “days like this”...how appropriate. Not sure what I’m going to do now. And funny that it happened on this bow that i feel was better tillered than my other two ERC boo bows.

Offline Fox

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 09:03:56 pm »
So sorry to hear that kidder :(

I had had a bow break my heart recently from frets... same with me just about finished, was shooting in I thought the tiller was perfect. I’d spent about 3 months on it, it was my first sinewed bow... looking at it under light and little frets running down most of both limbs :(

Really difficult when the just fret after looking so good.... I’d rather them explode on the tillering tree
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 10:15:15 am »
It was from an ERC board. And funny that you should say that about frets...I was looking at it in the light this morning and low and behold was about a dozen small frets on the upper limb spread out over a foot or so. I almost cried. Went and turned on some music, it was Van Morrison playing “days like this”...how appropriate. Not sure what I’m going to do now. And funny that it happened on this bow that i feel was better tillered than my other two ERC boo bows.

Oh man I hate to hear that...so sorry.  I have a hickory backed ERC heartwood bow sitting in the corner for that very reason.  It's not nearly as nice as yours, but it still hurts...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Will B

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 11:14:57 am »
Wow that is a beautiful bow. Great job!!