Author Topic: lumber  (Read 6643 times)

Offline mmattockx

Re: lumber
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 03:42:30 pm »
They should be prosecuted for price gouging.

There is no such thing as price gouging in an open market. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Competitive markets just don't work like that

I see at least two of us understand basic economics.  :OK

Mark

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 02:28:17 am »
Virtually all materials to make 'stuff' are rising by about 20 - 25% over here......that is serious stuff. Nothing to do with supply and demand.....

Offline scp

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 11:01:16 am »
As usual, it's not either or. Some higher demand than expected, some monopoly by large corporations, some money gouging by retailers, and even some consumer hoarding going on. “Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative.” I would look into unseasoned lumbers at local sawmills. But I only plan to build a shed and basement shelves.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 01:47:01 pm »
Last year at the end of April I applied and got hired at a big home improvement store. The hot item for people was privacy fencing material. Treated posts and planks were "unobtanium" at any cost for a while and people were not happy about that.
Same store one year later, materials are in stock and people are unhappy about the cost.

If ya want to flaunt your wealth, shoot a box of 9mm shells into a plywood target...  ;)

Offline willie

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 03:13:01 pm »
There is no such thing as price gouging in an open market. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.
Mark

consider also, the open market includes some speculators
https://www.thebalance.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-speculation-in-commodity-futures-808944

Its taking a bit for the logging industry to catch back up to the mill reopenings, some places more than others.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 05:30:19 pm »
consider also, the open market includes some speculators
https://www.thebalance.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-speculation-in-commodity-futures-808944

It sure does and they can cause some wild price swings over the short term. Still not gouging, however.

Mark

Offline Stoker

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 06:40:54 pm »
Being in construction for 40 years I've seen stuff go up and down. Always a reason. Plant burnt down, Ice storm, supply chain, markets and my favorite Tariffs. No different than gasoline. I was going to rebuild my deck and put up a new fence this year. Guessing it's only the fence.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2021, 01:40:41 am »
Last year at the end of April I applied and got hired at a big home improvement store. The hot item for people was privacy fencing material. Treated posts and planks were "unobtanium" at any cost for a while and people were not happy about that.
Same store one year later, materials are in stock and people are unhappy about the cost.

If ya want to flaunt your wealth, shoot a box of 9mm shells into a plywood target...  ;)
Not when someone is asking $24 for a 100 ct package of small pistol primers! >:D >:D. That is gouging.  Big time!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 02:57:44 am »
I went to an estate sale of items from a retired person going into nursing home facility.Some very well kept items there.Lots of guns,reloading supplys and eqipument,and ammo too.The fella was pretty well armed.Bullets were outrageously priced.Guns went for a premium also.Glad my supply is in good shape and like Paul I don't shoot my ammo indescriminately.Not like when I was a kid.
At least with a bow and arrow most times you can retrieve your arrow....ha ha.
A used stand up freezer went for over $1000.00.It seems because new ones are'nt available or way too expensive.[I've never checked out buying a new one though].
I bought am 8' aluminum step ladder for $50.00.
Went to a chain saw supplier and they can't get bars for chain saws.
What does all this mean?A combination of a lot of things like scp said.People are scared.Hoarding amoondo.People are'nt working.Supplys are indeed down in some areas.Business's are being opportunistic even with supplys available.These are all facts.
Speculators or paper shufflers as I call them have been around for half a century and all through my farming career.These middlemen are indeed price gouging or manipulating the market.Same with meat processing plants.These people trim the fat off of all commodity items.It's legal yes,but is it right?You'd have to be in the business of raising commodities to really understand.
As for me I'll hunker down and be as independent and self doing as I've always been.Glad I'm retired though.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:25:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 08:00:45 am »
Not when someone is asking $24 for a 100 ct package of small pistol primers! >:D >:D.

Just how much are spent 9mm shells running for these days?  I got a few last year for arrowheads, but if they are worth more than judos now I may do some swapping...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 09:43:13 am »
Even during normal times estate auctions have been a disappointment for me, people go crazy bidding, I guess it's the gotta' win syndrome. I sat all day waiting on some 4' tractor  implements, (tiller, bush hog) to be auctioned off, they were the last on the list, stupid people bid them up over new price.

I sat at another just out of curiosity because they had some beat up old 22 rifles up for auction, they went for over what a modern made new one in the same style sold for, the ones being auctioned were at least 50 years old.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2021, 10:20:00 am »
I've had my best luck at farm sales,but it can get out of hand there too sometimes depending on the item.I'll keep going to them though.If there's an outside chance for a buy I'll be there.
Some people are funny.My neighbor has a round 1/4" rod paneled ear corn corn crib standing with trees a foot thick growing in it.These storage cribs have been outdated for decades.I have taken many of these down for free in the past for use as fencing and reused it.I offered him $50.00.He won't take the bait.He has no plans for it.It is an eye sore.So it is with people.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2021, 04:19:51 pm »
Some types of lumber has gone up nearly 400% last I heard.