Author Topic: 11th century style crossbow  (Read 2040 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
11th century style crossbow
« on: June 06, 2021, 05:49:42 pm »
Its half term and I spent some time catching up with half finished projects,  in this case following the archaeological drawing of an original tiller and trigger to mount a lath sent to me by Del last summer. The original finds date to the 1040s AD and are from Lac du Paladru, Colletieres a Charavines,  in France.

The lath is a lightweight 30lb in walnut sapwood,  it took 1.5 inch set on a 33 inch ntn with 10 inch draw

Have to say, this is a really sophisticated design, you lean against the trigger with your thumb which you activate by pushing it (not pulling) while lightly laying a finger on the bolt and holding the back end of  the cut-out section, all with one hand, the other hand being at the fore-end holding up the bow.  The trigger has a stop designed into it and gives a lovely positive action,  clicking into place on both ends of its movement, though carving the stop into the trigger channel is a bit of a potch.  I messed the geometry up and had to put the nose of the trigger into a groove in the string notch to stop it gapping as it reached the top of its arc.  Its all mated to a 30lb walnut bow with a late gothic type binding as no-one knows what the binding should be and this type of binding is as likely as any as well as being very effective.

The bow is correctly mounted but I drew it badly in a rush to grab the photo
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:23:41 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: 11th century style crossbow
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 06:14:34 pm »
Meant to say, the original bow was 110cm long in yew and 1.5 inches thick, with a 12inch draw, a really serious bow, not at all like the garden toy I built

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 06:24:53 pm »
Looks great :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 06:31:54 pm »
Thanks for all your help on this project Del, its been very much appreciated.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 02:33:24 am »
That's cool. Glad it worked out for you.