Author Topic: 69" Osage Flat Bow Till check  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
Re: 69" Osage Flat Bow Till check
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 08:30:13 am »
I must have posted that after the second Bourbon! The Osage is 45#@28"
Don

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2021, 10:24:18 am »
When using a chronograph to measure bullet speeds, averages are the best indicator of what is happening because there are variations in how the powder loads and super tiny variations can yield different speeds.

But when I measure arrow speeds off a bow (assuming fairly closely matched arrow weights), I tend to dismiss all but the top arrow speeds because the variation comes more from differences in draw and release. I put my confidence in the top arrow speeds because the bow cannot exceed that speed and thus consider that the actual measure of what truly is happening when an arrow is shot....so long as I can do my job with a good, smooth release.

Your top speeds have you shooting around 147 fps from a 45 lb bow. Most folks consider draw weight plus 100 to be a benchmark for a good shooting bow (45+100) when shooting a 10 grains per pound of draw weight bow. Your fat arrows are coming in at 11.3 grains per pound, so it is an easy assumption to say that a 450 grain arrow would spit out a fair bit faster. Nothing sluggish about this bow. You got yourself a bow I'd confidently carry to hunt big game!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Don W

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 10:40:33 am »
I agree. I typically only use 1 arrow. (Gives me extra exercise) and adds to the consistency. I can tell a difference how I release and arrow speed. I try to check speed the same way I shoot, but I draw and hold typically, which reduces speed a bit. Once in a while I throw in a quicker release, but it's still not a snap shot, I don't want to put an arrow through my new Chrono
Don

Offline Don W

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 01:57:20 pm »

Don

gutpile

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 04:02:54 pm »
Don your bows have improved dramatically.. you are really cranking them out... tiller looks good.. only thing I can comment on  is osage doesn't need to be that wide , it can handle 1 1/4 if need be and still hit 70 lbs... gut

Offline Don W

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 05:32:06 pm »
Don your bows have improved dramatically.. you are really cranking them out... tiller looks good.. only thing I can comment on  is osage doesn't need to be that wide , it can handle 1 1/4 if need be and still hit 70 lbs... gut

Thanks. I made this one narrower. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70190.msg986403.html#msg986403

That pretty much depletes my osage stash!!
Don