Author Topic: is holding reflex overrated  (Read 7522 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: is holding reflex overrated
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2021, 07:40:59 am »
To me it's an indicator as to just how well I tillered the bow of the design I chose and the type of wood used.A skill seeking more refinement.Some pursue it and some don't.
Pushing the envelope is the only way to achieve that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2021, 08:25:54 am »
I don’t think it is necessary for a good shooting, hunting bow and some might even find they prefer shooting something with a little string follow.

For myself with my short draw I really prefer about 3 or 4” of reflex. Some short not tremendously radical static recurves. Start out with about 1” reflex over entire limb and hold as much as I can.

If I can find the wood to accomplish this I usually have a bow that fits me well. I like the early string tension from the reflex. It works well with my short draw .

I don’t like giving up anything. Of course I’m pretty sure I’m going to with every build. I’ve eaten a few bugs before. I think set tells us a lot about our wood and or tillering. Most wood is going to take a little.

I think keeping it to a minimum and probably more importantly keeping it from continuing after the bow is well shoot in are things I strive for. Not things that are always accomplished or 100%. Necessary, but things I try to accomplish

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman211

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2021, 12:08:35 pm »
Don't think I have ever seen a bow of the month, or flight bow etc with string follow with may be the exception of an  English long bow. Bowyers have an image of what they want a finished bow to look ,and shoot like. To much string follow is not one of them. God knows I have made my share of them. Still have about 3 dozen of them from my earlier days of building bows that do OK. Smooth drawing,and fun to shoot.... and will kill.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2021, 07:30:32 pm »
  +1 Howard, A good shooter can't be beat...Kinda like a pair of broke in boots...
                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badger

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2021, 09:46:20 pm »
      Not necessary at all for a good hunting bow as has been proved for centuries. I think once you get used to that early string tension and snappiness in a bow it is very hard to shoot a bow that doesn't have it.

Offline HH~

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2021, 08:56:54 am »
Dont really care for eArly string weight. In fact my target rigs i usually take heavy preload off the bow. Just me but early SW and a short bow, no thanks. For a short armed fella OK , grab what you can get.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2021, 12:13:19 pm »
 I like to make my bows as fast as possible with reflex and it brings a smile to my face when a arrow leaves the bow with such speed, however I will say some of my favorite bows to fling arrows at a target in the backyard are lighter draw self bows with normal string follow. It's more relaxing not to be around all that tension of high early draw. 

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2021, 04:01:39 pm »
Yep.  I am always proud to see one unbraced and see it holding reflex.  It is a testament to good tillering but it is hard to dislike the sweet shooting, soft send off and quiet accuracy of a bow with a little string follow.  I think the great Howard Hill (also from Alabama lol) said some good things about a string follow bow, but I don’t remember the quote.  I think it was about their accuracy. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi