Author Topic: Set With trilam bamboo Kanuka bamboo  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Manolovis

Set With trilam bamboo Kanuka bamboo
« on: June 10, 2021, 01:20:00 am »
You knowledgeable bowyers enlighten me please!
I just finished a bow and don’t understand how I got to that much set.
Bow is 62 inches DL/DW 28/50. It s 35 mm at the widest. The bow is a trilam bamboo kanuka bamboos and design is a bit of hybrid flatbow, with stiff 1/3 D crossed section outer portion. Decided to experiment  with a mixture of features from different bowyers ( Eric krewson, opa, to name a couple). Thanks to bamboo bow , Leon wood, dragonman and Eric I  managed  to put that first trim lam together. Tiller looks good to me ( used a gizmo) , but bow lost a Lot of reflex.
2” of reflex when tillered the back-core bit and another 2 when I tiller the belly.
Well I d be accepting that and move on if it stayed like that but it seems that when I unbrace  it  doesn’t come right away to that 0” reflex. Which I read is sign that it’s still taking set /too much stress.

How from here can I settle the set if the gizmo shows me that tiller is good ? Drop the weight to 45# maybe ? Drop more mass ?
Why do you guys think it took that much set ?  Scraping belly power fiber  too much ?
Design? I thought I would go quite narrow as since I read that bamboo is the the “wood” that takes most set per mass.

Thanks lots for your help all of you :)

bownarra

Re: Set With trilam bamboo Kanuka bamboo
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 03:22:11 am »
Bamboo bellied bows have the belly lam heat treated really dark. This improves the compression resistance of the boo. Not heat treated it is....ok...in compression. A key thing is to not touch the belly lam during tillering. It should not have any material removed off the face. These bows are 'tillered' before glue-up. You put the taper into the lams before glue-up and through experience/judgement/luck to begin with you arrive at the correct taper rate.
They are a tricky design to get right and it would normally take a few attempts to work out the 'recipe' for your particualr bow design.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 03:22:51 am »
Also unless your bow is a bendy handle design it is too short.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 07:48:59 am »
Mikes' right.It takes a fair amount of diligence and experimenting to get the tapered combo right.Worth pursuing though.Documenting the measurements in a tablet for future bow building.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Manolovis

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 04:50:59 pm »
Thanks guys yeah I suppose it scan error trial. I did tiller glued core and and back but added way too thick belly so I had to scrap that down. I heat tested belly too bit maybe not enough ( caramel colour)
Do you guys think I can still limit set now? I just don’t want the bow to take anymore than she already has...I just assumed it might get worse observing that the limbs are tasking a while to get back to there initial position after shooting few arrows and unbracing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 06:09:23 pm »
I watched James Parker heat treat the bamboo belly lam. It looked like he was totally burning up the boo. He started at one end of the boo slat with a rosebud propane torch and literally carbonized the outer surface of the boo all along to the other end. Flame, smoke and black boo. I was totally surprised when I watched him do this but he said it's how it should be done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline darinputman

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:09:19 pm »
I have tried to get the bamboo back, belly bow design down to where I can make them as easy as a selfbow. Hopefully one day I will be able to consistently do so. I will say this if you need to loose some weight do not be scared to tiller the bamboo belly , just pretend the nodes aint there and start scrapping.
  I have made a great shooting bow that way. It took many scrapes for it to start dropping poundage but once it did it settled in quickly. If it had been a right handed bow I would have kept it as I was and still am very proud of that bow. One day I will hopefully get the process down, untill then I will keep reading threads like this one and trying to learn something.