Author Topic: How do I approach this?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
How do I approach this?
« on: June 18, 2021, 03:28:22 pm »
This is a scotch broom billet bow, it has been heat treated for twist and sideways bend, there's an inch of reflex glued in but both limbs are naturally curved giving 4 inches overall. The bow is 60 inch ttt but target draw length is 24 inches, there is no target draw weight but it looks like it will end up about 35lb and that's fine by me as this is a bit of a prototyping exercise.  The one limb is much more curved than the other.  Would you straighten it or increase the curve of the other?  Any advice on how to tiller the outer thirds, it seems to be heading in an r/d direction at the moment, and I've never tillered a heavily reflexed bow, in fact only tillered two with any kind of reflex.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: How do I approach this?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 04:10:48 pm »
just depends on what you want,,
i usually just tiller them without trying to make the limbs match,,
but alot of guys prefer to make the limbs match to start,, either way will shoot,,
when I first started heat bending was not to popular,, so I have done it both ways,,

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 04:41:33 pm »
I'm just trying to get a handle on thickness/width to draw length/draw-weight as there are very few examples out there that I can study (none that I can find stats for) .  My next one will be better informed, this one is very much an experiment.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 02:09:30 am »
Match the limbs. I'd decrease the more reflexed one with a wood I wasn't familar with.
I had a friend who made a sctoch broom bow - he really liked the wood.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 09:32:08 am »
Agree with the above. Match them in my opinion. As Brad said, early in I just tillered what I had. Tillering uneven limbs taught me that what it looks like is less important than how it functions. With heat straightening you get to have both form and function, and tillering is easier.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 08:04:40 pm »
I would not boil or steam the whole limb to reduce reflex. If the reflex can be reduced in the process of belly heat treating, that would be a win win.