Author Topic: Golden chain tree character flattie 40#/26“ (No. 125) PIC HEAVY!  (Read 2506 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
After a long break due some health issues am finally here again. Let's start with a GCT (goldenchain tree).

The draw length of this bow is limited to 26”, as the stave was a crooked thing about 62½” and about 2½” thick. Only one side (half) of the stave was useable. You can see the pith in the fade area. It was also twisted like hell. Last but not least it has a changing crown which caused the also changing hollowed out limbs. I will not call that thing a real HLD bow as the limbs are thick and doesn’t flatten out, so let’s name it a semi HLD.

I could heat correct most of the problem zones, several sessions were necessary. Much work, but that GCT wood is just too beautiful …

Good thing was the sap was mostly intact, so I worked down to the second sap ring (for a nice contrast to heartwood) and let also some portions for natural grown “overlays” at handle and nocks. Arrow mark is a brass cylinder.

I have some older GCT bows, the heartwood darkens up to a chocolate color. I’m curious how this bow will show up in some months.

dw/dl:      40#/26”
ntn:       61”
bh:       5”
max. w.:   1⅜“

reflexn:   -½”

mass:   456 gram

asymmetrical
stiff handle
species: laburnum

08”:   04,8
10”:   09,4   (+4,6)
12”:   13,5   (+4,1)
14”:   17,2   (+3,7)
16”:   20,6   (+3,4)
18”:   24,0   (+3,4)
20”:   27,5   (+3,5)
22”:   31,3   (+3,8)
24”:   35,5   (+4,2)
26”:   39,8   (+4,3)

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Golden chain tree character flattie 40#/26“ (No. 125) PIC HEAVY!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 03:01:03 pm »
Beautiful, more art than weapon, This will take SBOM hands down.  Glad I saw this before I posted my latest project, that will wait till August. ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 03:03:31 pm »
That's a nice wonky one, Simon. GCT sure is a beautiful wood.
Hope you weren't adversely affected by the flooding over there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 03:38:42 pm »
A poem  (-S once more congratulations to munich!

greets and my best wishes

--- the queen rules ----

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 04:48:10 pm »
Great to see you posting again Simon. Hope your health continues to improve. Your bows are always a work of art and this is no exception. Excellent job as usual.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Likemp

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 06:15:20 pm »
So so beautiful...Your work is always an inspiration!!

Online RyanY

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 06:26:25 pm »
Glad to see your work again and to hear your health is doing better. That thing is gnarly yet beautiful at the same time! Excellent work as always. Love the growth rings left for the tips.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 11:58:32 pm »
Another ringer. Congrads.

Offline simson

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 07:34:25 am »
Beautiful, more art than weapon, This will take SBOM hands down.  Glad I saw this before I posted my latest project, that will wait till August. ;D

I hope I have a nicier bow in August than this one  ....  ;D ;D ;D
Trad, let's see your bow - you make us just curious.

That's a nice wonky one, Simon. GCT sure is a beautiful wood.
Hope you weren't adversely affected by the flooding over there.

Pat, we had big luck. We had some heavy thunderstorms here, the last one with hail that brought four or five inches of ice. Our fruit trees lost all the leaves and fruits, vegetables are distroyed about 50%. But we had no flooding. Some neighbours weren't that lucky.

Great to see you posting again Simon. Hope your health continues to improve. Your bows are always a work of art and this is no exception. Excellent job as usual.

I'm recovering Steve, but lost a lot of my strength. Luckily I cab work again in my shop, so you can expect some upcoming projects.

Thanks all!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 07:59:23 am »
Absolutely fantastic to see you here again Simson. I was hopeful you would say you had something even better for august. Maybe I can find some time to finish up one to. Got a lot of coals in the fire right now. I need to finish up a couple trade projects yet to.

Really wonky bow.

Wishing you good health

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zugul

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 09:23:06 am »
that's an absolute work of art! just a little question, how thick and wide are the nocks where the string groove is? I'd love to replicate their shape on one of my future bows

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 10:20:02 am »
Glad to see you back in the shop! Great job on a challenging piece of wood!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 11:18:55 am »
 That's a beauty Simson, so much character and beautifully balanced...You never disappoint Sir
                                                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline simson

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 03:12:15 am »
Absolutely fantastic to see you here again Simson. I was hopeful you would say you had something even better for august. Maybe I can find some time to finish up one to. Got a lot of coals in the fire right now. I need to finish up a couple trade projects yet to.

Really wonky bow.

Wishing you good health

Bjrogg

Hi Brian, I also have a couple of coals in the fire. Oh man, how interesting would it be working some day together side by side ...

that's an absolute work of art! just a little question, how thick and wide are the nocks where the string groove is? I'd love to replicate their shape on one of my future bows

Zugul, its 6mm wide and 11mm thick (measured in an 90° angle). Dimensions depend on the wood, specific quality and the draw weight, willsay with osage you can go smaller with the 40#.

Thanks all again!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Zugul

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 06:06:26 am »
Zugul, its 6mm wide and 11mm thick (measured in an 90° angle). Dimensions depend on the wood, specific quality and the draw weight, willsay with osage you can go smaller with the 40#.

unfortunatly I don't have any osage, but I plan to use that design on a 45#ish Black Locust bow, so the dimensions shouldn't differ that much. Thanks for the answer!