Author Topic: Hamachek Entry for Bow of the Month  (Read 2456 times)

Offline GHamachek

Hamachek Entry for Bow of the Month
« on: August 12, 2021, 03:36:46 pm »
This bow is a Perry Reflex design, see The Traditional Bowyers Bible vol. III, page 91-95. Nock to nock length is 68" and draw weight is 45lb at 26 ". The belly is hickory and the back of the bow is bamboo with a diamond-back rattle snake skin overlay. The riser section is of a green and red phenolic material. Phenolic is very dense and as a result it adds more weight to the riser section and seems to me to reduce hand shock. Also this materials allows you to reduce the thickness of the sight window down to 9/16th if you want to, and still maintain the integrity of the bow. The stone point on the lower limb has a glued leather backing. It is then glued to the bow with an inscription of initials and date. I didn’t flint nap the stone point as that craft is an entirely different skill I have not learned. The artwork on the upper limb was painted by my wife, Marilyn, who is a wildlife artist.                 
Those "want to be bowyers" and those struggling sometimes get the wrong impression when they look at the bows of the month and think, wow is this a guy or gal's first bow?  And also, are they experts in woodworking too? That would be rare if that were true. But I would like to encourage those of you with my story. I have been making bows for 25 years as a hobby and have made as many bows as in those many years that all turned out failures. I'm not like my brother Bruce who is a skillful woodworker who can build spiral stair cases, Windsor chairs, and houses. But I did read a dozen or so books, the Primitive Archer Magazine, watched 5 videos and spoke to bowyers. I want to acknowledge the following bowyers who patiently advised me and who many of you know from their contribution to this magazine.  I would be remiss not to mention several of them that have passed on already, way too soon. Thank you Paul Comstock, Stim Wilcox, Tim Baker, Mike Yancy, Jim Boswell, Larry Hanify, Dean Torgas and Jim Hamm. Therefore when I made my first successful bow it took a village.  Here is the whole point of my article. Every so called failed bow is not a total loss because you learn from those mistakes. With persistence by trial and error and by learning more from others you will eventually make a bow that is a shooter!  In fewer words; gather knowledge and slow down, see Proverbs 19:2

Greg Hamachek

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 06:18:05 pm by GHamachek »

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Re: Hamachek Bow of the Month
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 05:26:55 pm »
Very cool bow, Greg!

For the record (if anybody is wondering) this bow qualifies as a primitive bow for BOM purposes per the following criteria:

"Any use of fiberglass or phenolic in the bending portion of the limbs shall not be included in either category."

In this case, the phenolic is clearly not in the bending portion, so we're good.

...Tom

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 06:42:11 pm »
Interesting handle;  Some orthographic shots of unbraced, braced, and full draw would be nice to show the tiller.

Offline Ken

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 09:01:32 pm »
Very nice Perry reflex is a favorite of mine. I have one I made 20 yrs ago still shooting. How much reflex did you use in your glue up?

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 09:03:21 pm »
Happy  to see your patience paying off! Nicely done!
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 09:18:26 pm »
That’s awesome! Well done. What is phenolic and where do you get it. Looks awesome on the tips and riser there.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 09:19:07 pm »
Interesting handle;  Some orthographic shots of unbraced, braced, and full draw would be nice to show the tiller.
I’m seeing all that.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 12:15:31 am »
Gorgeous bow!  Amen to all the failures that got you to this point.  Nice work indeed
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 02:37:33 am »
If you want to make a selfbow with a cut out window simply add thickness to the shelf section. As long as there is a decent amount of wood in the cross section there is no need to add modern materials. In a way phenolic is a little too stiff for this job :) Als it does nothing for the handshock - lack or presense of handshock is a tiller profile or limb timing issue.

Anyway that is a pretty cool bow regardless of how it was made, the limbs are holding a lovely reflex.  Cool bow and well done :)

Offline GHamachek

Re: Hamachek Entry for Bow of the Month
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 06:33:20 pm »
That’s awesome! Well done. What is phenolic and where do you get it. Looks awesome on the tips and riser there.

Thank you for your positive comments. Phenolic is a synthetic polymer resin that comes in sheets. I got the thicker sheets from Plastics International. And the accent strips come from Bingham Project.

Offline GHamachek

Re: Hamachek Entry for Bow of the Month
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 06:40:07 pm »
Very nice Perry reflex is a favorite of mine. I have one I made 20 yrs ago still shooting. How much reflex did you use in your glue up?

Hi Ken, I used 6 inches of reflex. Wow still shooting your bow after 20 years is amazing.