Author Topic: Study finds coronavirus in whitetail deer  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Study finds coronavirus in whitetail deer
« on: August 15, 2021, 05:02:47 pm »
 I thought this was interesting. Study by Tony Goldberg of U of Wisconsin
A Third of White-Tailed Deer Tested in Survey Were Exposed ...https://www.nytimes.com › white-tailed-deer-coronavirus
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Study finds coronavirus in whitetail deer
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 06:02:48 pm »
Does that mean I have to wear a mask while hunting ??  ;) :) :) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 06:27:05 pm »
Does that mean I have to wear a mask while hunting ??  ;) :) :) :) :) :)
 Pappy

I think it means you need to get the deer to mask up before you shoot them.

Mark

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 09:48:54 pm »
I think it means if you consume venison you will not need the vaccination  (SH)  :-D
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 10:59:31 pm »
Don't know what it means. Just thought it was interesting. Not just bats that carry coronavirus.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 11:49:33 pm »
Interesting!  I think I would be sure to have a mask along, as well as rubber gloves and some disinfectant.  If you have had the vaccine, it may not be too much of a problem.

Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 01:36:56 am »
There are many Corona Viruses out there besides Covid 19. Not sure if these tests can really tell one from another.

They found Corona infections in zoo big cats and there's a feline corona virus that can infect house cats. As much as cats sneeze it would be a disaster if that virus jumped species.

IF Covid 19 became chronic to rodents and could pass from them to humans we'd be in a world of hurt.

They've said that covid can be spread by flatulence, gives a new meaning to silent but deadly.

The shortage of TP early on in the pandemic was due to if there was a crowd of fifty people and one of them coughed the other forty nine would poop themselves.

Get the vaccine.
I had a bad reaction to the second dose that lasted quite awhile but got over it, it beats the alternative.

BTW
In Italy at one time the upper classes never left the house without an ornate mask hiding their features. Perhaps that will become a new custom. There have been a number of sci fi books and TV shows that had this sort of tradition as common place on various planets.

I'm thinking of getting one of the LED masks that you can program with any face you like and change faces in an instant.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 07:22:05 am »
If they lost their sense of smell it could be deadly.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 08:13:12 am »
Are you our Doctor, Glimlis?

Anyway, Covid is defiantly the worst thing that could ever happen to a deer. ::)  Never mind starvation, traffic, coyotes, and carrot colored bipeds.  They should defiantly stay home forever and wear triple masks; at least then we could find them before they smelled us.  ;D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 09:33:52 am »
I think it means if you consume venison you will not need the vaccination  (SH)  :-D

Only if they get vaccinated first  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 10:58:19 am »
Are you our Doctor, Glimlis?

No that would be the guy who signs the death certificate and buys a new Mercedes from his profits on treating you in ICU for weeks.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 12:13:21 pm »
IF Covid 19 became chronic to rodents and could pass from them to humans we'd be in a world of hurt.

How would that be worse than now? It's already as infectious as the common cold, which is pretty much unstoppable.

The shortage of TP early on in the pandemic was due to if there was a crowd of fifty people and one of them coughed the other forty nine would poop themselves.

;D ;D

Funny of the week!

Mark

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 03:02:28 pm »

Only if they get vaccinated first  :)

I think the shots we give deer are almost as dangerous, but they have been tested much longer.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 06:49:56 pm »

How would that be worse than now? It's already as infectious as the common cold, which is pretty much unstoppable.

Mark

There is no sure way of getting rid of any disease that rats carry. You could kill 99.9% of the rat population of a city and the whole cycle would start up again in months. Rats are everywhere and can get into anything.

Many years ago a truck loading dock of an old factory nearby collapsed opening up a basement similar to the one in the Stephen King novel "Graveyard Shift". Thousands of rats poured out of there like water out of a hose infesting the entire neighborhood including a High School and Grade School.
Very large Rats began showing up in my home a couple of weeks later.
Turned out they had climbed into a bush next to my kitchen outer wall and tunneled through siding and thick plywood to gain entry.
They did so much damage to pipes and wiring I had to replace the entire kitchen floor, joists and all, replumb everything, replace half the drywall and send my dishwasher to the dump. Later I had to replace the bathroom floor as well.
Look up Hanta Virus outbreaks in New York and of course the Black Death, the later required the burning down of most of London during the outbreak of 1666.