Author Topic: Draw length  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Fox

Draw length
« on: September 04, 2021, 11:53:44 pm »
my draw length seems to keep settling at 24" which I don't like, but I am so much more accurate at this short draw, when I'm drawing 27" I can't even hit the target, wheres I've got a 6" group out to 20 yards with a 24" draw... I really worry about arrow speed though, for hunting, my bows are all 50@26" so 45@24 ish... is that going to be okay for whitetail?

My next thought is that I should try shooting lower weight bows and 26-27" and see if I shoot better? 50# isnt uncomfertable at all and i've been shooting that weight for 2 years so it seems odd that it would be too heavy, but could that be my issue?

any insight to these issues would be wonderful :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

bownarra

Re: Draw length
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 02:26:49 am »
You test drawlength on a bow that is very weak. Waste of time trying to do it on a heavy bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 04:35:30 am »
IMO.
You will never shoot better with a longer draw until it becomes the draw you always use.
It's like trying to shoot left handed, you'll be hopeless... but if you continue to do it you will eventually become proficient.
It's not the "draw" so much as the aiming with a different anchor.
If you want to shoot with a longer draw, just do it and stop going back to the short draw.
It really is that simple...
Del

Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 08:41:27 am »
What do you use for an anchor at each weight? At age 16 you still have some growing to do. It would be a shame to go through the exercise of changing your anchor, only to want to change it back in a couple years.

Don

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 09:21:41 am »
Snap a cloths pin on your arrow just short of 24 inches ,and draw the bow to your full draw making sure your string arm is in a straight line  to your bow (see Arny Moe, and Jim Blackmon utube). You have to use good back tension to achieve this.( J hook.)  Once you have your form down your draw length will get longer, and you will be shooting accurate.Measure from inside of cloths pin to the arrow  nock cut out . That will be your new draw length. Shoot a bare shaft with your feathered arrows to make sure your form is not breaking down with every group. If you want to shoot Howard Hill style  refer to John  Stewart utube.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 10:59:41 am »
Sorry, I meant to say John  Shultz not John Stewart showing how Howard Hill shot a bow. Both were amazing shots with longer string follow bamboo bows. Fluid motion release.

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 11:16:30 am »
Alright guys... My anchor point is always the same, it's always the corner of my mouth, but I can shoot 23" or 27" with this anchor point.....

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 03:06:04 pm »
Alright guys... My anchor point is always the same, it's always the corner of my mouth, but I can shoot 23" or 27" with this anchor point.....
How??? :o
Do you move you head fore/aft or bend your bow arm... either is a recipe for inconsistency.
Or do you have a telescopically adjustable bowarm? :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 03:12:01 pm »
You must be scrunching over and/or bending your bow arm a lot to change that much.  Try videoing yourself and see if you look funny! 

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 03:45:55 pm »
How??? :o
Do you move you head fore/aft or bend your bow arm... either is a recipe for inconsistency.
Or do you have a telescopically adjustable bowarm? :o
Del

(lol) (lol)

I’m not sure what I’m doing…  (lol)

I think like you said crunching up Timbo, I’ll try videoing myself

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 08:21:53 pm »

Something is deeply wrong with that, you are compromising your form somewhere to be able to anchor the same over a 4" draw length change.

Mark

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2021, 08:43:13 pm »
Yes something is going really wrong…. I really can’t hit anything anymore…. Getting worried as hunting season is getting close. I shot several hour over today and I can’t figure out my issue… after trying to make my DL longer now I can barely even hit the target, I’m wondering if I should’ve just let it be and shot From 24” where I was accurate….. definitely need some help :-\

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 08:56:31 pm »
An accurate shot from a 45# bow with arrows tuned to that config is fine for deer. A bad shot from any weight bow is not. Seems like a no brainer to me
Don

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 02:36:45 am »
Do what is comfortable....then practise.....don't keep searching foir a quick fix....there is no short cut to shooting well.....practise.....practise and then maybe practise some more.....but for goodness sake don't keep changing things or you will definately never become an accurate shooter.

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 09:07:48 am »
I would go golfing, or bowling or shoot some hoops. If you have a friend, have them pitch a baseball to you. Maybe you like tennis. If you’re not into sports, try chopping wood or knife throwing. In my experience, activities that require aiming and fluid body mechanics are all very similar and practicing one can help with the others, much like learning a new instrument will help your musicianship or learning a new language will help your poetry.
Bellaire, MI