Author Topic: Green straightening  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Green straightening
« on: September 29, 2021, 08:57:13 am »
I've noticed on some shoots I'm straightening that the wood seems to collapse a little in some spots and then it feels rubbery after and doesn't want to stay as straight. Anyone else experience this phenomenon? I'm not sure if it's the type of wood or just my inexperience. I'm hoping it won't affect the final product but maybe I should be more selective in my shoot gathering and choose straighter shoots. Perhaps using heat after it is seasoned for the greater bends would be a better option?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Green straightening
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 07:12:35 pm »
After the shoots are dry there shouldn't be any obvious weak spots. If they are still green I wouldn't use heat but just hand straighten the best you can. Once they dry you can heat and straighten any obstinate crooks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 08:09:35 pm »
Pat what I'm experiencing is on green wood. Do you ever have spots that feel rubbery while green straightening?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 11:33:20 am »
You shouldn't. What kind of shoots are they?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 04:43:34 pm »
On most woods I had trouble green straightening as if I took the bark off they would split length wise on the ends and run much of the shaft.

Multi-flora rose was the only wood I had success with green straightening. I could cut them in the morning and strip and thorn them and lay in the bed of my truck and keep hand bending them straight. By diner time they were staying straight. As they started to dry they would stay straight. I also found this rose didn't heat straighten like other woods. Too much bending and it split length wise and green straightening work best for it.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 08:39:33 pm »
It is bush honey suckle. I wonder if I am collapsing the middle on the more extreme bends. Rob I haven't had any problems with checking on these. I also cut some more and left the bark on to see if it makes a difference

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 09:44:24 pm »
Green straightening is only good for mild bends. Save the more drastic bends for dry shoots and heat.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 10:12:49 pm »
Well poop, that was my problem then, thanks Pat