Author Topic: I got scammed ( not on this site )  (Read 2503 times)

Offline sleek

I got scammed ( not on this site )
« on: October 18, 2021, 11:50:26 am »
I sent a guy 500 on market place to hold a car for me he was selling. I then took 2 days off work drove 6 hrs one way l, a full tank of diesel,, and got a hotel to buy the car. I get to Hanover PA where the car ( 67 charger ) is and he gives me some " somone in my family died sorry, I'll be back in touch" bs. I message him 5 times, he looks at it but doesn't reply.

Anyone on here know how to track a guy down electronically, through messenger contacts? I'll be filling a police report and reporting to Facebook as well, but id like to find this guy myself.  Anyone on here have skills?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline GlisGlis

Re: I got scammed ( not on this site )
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 01:49:11 pm »
I bet that almost all the current messengers (there are so many) operate through one or more servers so your client software is probably not allowed to see the ip of the receiver (that would allow to estimate where your scammer is)
I fear that you can access this kind of data only via legal procedure and that probably would take ages
you may try to contact the messenger helpline and see if they could be of some help but even if you get an Ip it wont let give you any certainty of the location and if the guy is an average scammer also the personal data would be no use

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 10:54:42 am »
Sleek I'm in Pa I think I seen one advertised in Hanover same year it was on craigslist.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 02:26:45 pm »
Bummer, Sleek.  No help from me, I'm afraid.  Hope you can get it sorted.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 07:32:36 pm »
That's a bummer. How did you send the money to him? A lot of services have a refund policy.

If you're texting them I assume you have their cell number, I don't know how good they are but there's services that'll fine all the info on it. Personally I'd leave it up to the cops though...
Trevor

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 01:23:36 am »
Plus 1 with Trevor!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 03:35:31 pm »
Sleek I'm in Pa I think I seen one advertised in Hanover same year it was on craigslist.

Is it blue with a bullet hole in the rear quarter? I found this one on Facebook. I'm still talking to him, he is offering to deliver it to me but first he needs me to send him cash for a tow company to pull it from the field it's in cause it's trapped between a stump and trees, and too sunk in to get a jack under.  Ballsy fella.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 03:36:01 pm »
I bet that almost all the current messengers (there are so many) operate through one or more servers so your client software is probably not allowed to see the ip of the receiver (that would allow to estimate where your scammer is)
I fear that you can access this kind of data only via legal procedure and that probably would take ages
you may try to contact the messenger helpline and see if they could be of some help but even if you get an Ip it wont let give you any certainty of the location and if the guy is an average scammer also the personal data would be no use

It's Facebook messenger.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 03:36:46 pm »
That's a bummer. How did you send the money to him? A lot of services have a refund policy.

If you're texting them I assume you have their cell number, I don't know how good they are but there's services that'll fine all the info on it. Personally I'd leave it up to the cops though...

I used Cash App

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 03:39:49 pm »

If you can find the link to the add on Craigslist and PM it to me that would really be appreciated. I can't find it.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 04:59:24 pm »
Sleek I'll try to find it for you.
Sleek I wouldn't send anymore money.
I just looked on craigslist I can't find it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 05:11:17 pm by Trapper Rob »

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 10:30:45 pm »
If anyone knows about scams it good old Trapper.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 11:06:31 am »

I used Cash App

Check this out, about half way in "What to do if you were scammed", I'd be worth a try -

http s://wise. com/us/blog/cash-app-refund (remove the 2 spaces)
Trevor

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 12:11:01 pm »
Yes I do I got scammed good by someone on here

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 03:22:16 pm »
You had it coming after what you did to me.