Author Topic: Hide glue???  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Hide glue???
« on: October 26, 2021, 09:55:01 pm »
How easy is it to make hide glue?

Offline Fox

Re: Hide glue???
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 11:25:53 pm »
fairly easy
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 02:18:41 am »
Sorry... how do you make it?

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 04:30:35 am »
Yes quite easy :)
Take a big pan of water (with a lid) and add your scraps. Hides, sinew, fish air bladders etc...Slowly raise the temperature to no more than 65 deg celcius. This is key do not let your water get over this temperature. You will still get glue but it won't be as strong. Too high a temperature will break down the collagen instead of 'releasing' it. Keep it at this temp for 8 hours.
Then strain the mix to remove any lumps/pieces left. Keep these as you can do a second cooking.
Now gradually reduce the mixture to a thicker consistancy. Lid off the pan - still not going over 65 degs.
Once it has got thicker you need some baking trays and parchement paper to line them.
Pour your glue over the trays until it is about 1/4" thick.
Let it cool and gel.
Once gelled you can cut it into small cubes.
Now take a fan and blow air over your glue cubes until they have dried and are completely hard all the way through.
You can skip the drying process if you are willing to freeze your gelled glue. This way is nice as you simply unfreeze , warm up and it is ready to go. The dried cubes need soaking in water until they go soft before heating them.
Good hide glue is amazing stuff. :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 06:55:36 am »
Take a big pan of water (with a lid) and add your scraps. Hides, sinew, fish air bladders etc...Slowly raise the temperature to no more than 65 deg celcius. This is key do not let your water get over this temperature. You will still get glue but it won't be as strong. Too high a temperature will break down the collagen instead of 'releasing' it. Keep it at this temp for 8 hours.
Then strain the mix to remove any lumps/pieces left. Keep these as you can do a second cooking.
Now gradually reduce the mixture to a thicker consistancy. Lid off the pan - still not going over 65 degs.
Once it has got thicker you need some baking trays and parchement paper to line them.
Let it cool and gel.
Now take a fan and blow air over your glue cubes until they have dried and are completely hard all the way through.
You can skip the drying process if you are willing to freeze your gelled glue. This way is nice as you simply unfreeze , warm up and it is ready to go. The dried cubes need soaking in water until they go soft before heating them.
+1 and you can pulverize your cut up dried cubes into a finer grain so it will dizzolve quicker when you want to rehydtate it.It is some extremely hard stuff.It can ruin conventional coffee grinders so beware.I use a  mortar and pestal.
There's a build-a-long posted.http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,67763.0.html
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 01:44:08 pm »
I cheat and use knox jello.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 02:14:43 pm »
I have that too.It's cheap.
First pourings from the right temperature produce better glue IMO.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 02:19:12 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 08:36:27 pm »
I make is by walking down the baking section isle in Walmart and buying Knox Gelatin which is hide glue disguised as a product for baking.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 09:52:11 pm »
Let it cool and gel.

How much water do you use? And will any hide do?

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 04:16:18 am »
You want to cover your scraps and add the same again.
Intially you just want to be able to leave the pieces in for a long time without having to add more water. Eventually it will be dissolved off so it doesn't really matter as long as you have enough.
Gelatine is not bad glue but it gels very quickly leaving you with less 'open' time. Homemade glue is superior and once you have you basic method down you can use experiment with different starting materials eg. yellow croaker air bladder glue is incredible stuff with a low gelling temp (long open time). Hide glue gels quicker than sinew glue. Hide glue is better for a dry climate, croaker glue handles humidity better etc etc.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 10:57:47 am »
Some more detailed insight about making your own hide & sinew glue.Before heating reducing the pieces to as small as possible increases surface area.More glue can be gotten from the first pouring then.I reduce my pieces to less than an inch square.The sinew it does'nt matter much if it's waste from stripping sinew.
One side benefit from brain tanning is that I keep as much of my 1/4" wide hide thinning scrapings and hide powder from sanding hides for making glue as well.
As far as gell time when applying sinew.Controlling your enviornment helps extend gell time too.I do most of my sinewing during the winter by the wood stove or in the same room as the wood stove.Keeping it to 80 degrees F. or more will extend the gell time beyond 10 minutes or more depending how warm it is in the room.Leaving you time to adjust the layment of your sinew for a more perfect job.
Some comb the sinew before applying and that works good too.If you can get it to look good immediately after sinewing it will look darn near perfect once dried.
Once your hide glue gells.It's set.You move it and you've lost your bond.Unless it is warmed up again with a hair dryer slowly.
One reason I think why some sinew jobs I've seen done by others get a raised sinew splinter when flexing their newly made bow.
Sidenote.....Is this the same Jakesnyder I sent a hickory stave to?Maybe it was Justinsnyder.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:04:28 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 06:49:30 pm »
It was me Ed! It got burned up in the fire though.. grrrr

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 09:53:09 pm »
Gelatine is not bad glue but it gels very quickly leaving you with less 'open' time.

That it does. Sometimes that is a good thing, sometimes not so good... Are there any tricks people can share to help extend the gel time on the Knox gelatin?

Mark

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 02:41:03 am »
No!
Only way is to heat your shop....
That's why the other glues are worth having.

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 02:44:50 am »
If you are struggling in the cold...croaker air bladder glue is amazing. It also resist humidity way better than hide glue. Hide glue was traditionally used in very dry climates. Sinew glue can take a little more humidity and croaker is top of the list for humid climates.
I had to take a horn strip off once (glued with croaker glue) it had only been in place 5 minutes and was incredibly difficult to remove, I had to use heat to remove it. Well worth the effort to make, it is night and day compared to gelatine.