Author Topic: Photo size  (Read 1928 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Photo size
« on: November 02, 2021, 02:59:36 pm »
I don't know why but my photos are coming in to PA WAY too big, my image host may have changed something too cause this. What size image do I need to use?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Photo size
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 05:19:06 pm »
640x480, 250mb
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 05:31:02 pm »
Thanks Pat

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 03:50:22 am »
EAsiest to set the size on the camera first.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 09:01:49 am »
I know nothing about smartphones. Like bownarra, I set my digital camera for it's lowest resolution which is 640x480. I also use Imgur to store my pics and have it set for low res pics for use on Forums.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 11:43:17 am »
small oversight Pat
it's not 250mb max
it's 250 kb (this largely depends on the image quality due to compressions. more compression or less quality lead to smaller files)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 06:54:15 pm »
Thanks for correcting me. I don't know anything about this stuff anyway. I got him close.  ;)

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 12:24:13 am »
Sign up for imgur account, upload to imgur, copy the sharable link with IMG in the link. post link here.  Incredibly easy, and no more worrying about the size and having pictures post all distorted. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 09:18:44 am »
I often get an over sized warning here on pictures I have stored that I know are the correct size.

The photo sharing here is flawed, it doesn't give you the option of showing your photo in the text as you write, any pic you insert are lumped at the bottom of your text so you can't add captions.

I have been using IMGUR lately to have more control over how I insert a photo in a post plus I am not limited to how many photos I insert into my text.

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 03:46:47 am »
Same as photobucket though...eventually they will start asking for money. If I make my images smaller on the camera I can miss out all this uploading, resizing etc...
It is very quick once you have small images to start with.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 06:09:46 am »
if your pictures comes from phone you can download (free) apps that make resizing and compressing a breeze
Just make a quick search depending on the operating system you run on your phone
for example search for: android picture resize

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 11:58:58 am »
All the resizers seem to be full of adds and/or in-app purchases or require upgrading to premium?  Any recommendations??

Also,  I use flickr sometimes.  I've set an image to public. Copied the URL, but it doesn't seem to open in. PA. Any ideas?

My "camera" is my phone.  I use snapseed at the moment but I'm not enjoying it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:20:18 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 12:53:38 pm »
If I make my images smaller on the camera I can miss out all this uploading, resizing etc...
It is very quick once you have small images to start with.

Yeah, but then you're stuck with ridiculously low res images that look like 1980's technology.

Mark

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 02:07:44 pm »
Don't know if this will help. When using flickr you need to choose bbcode and insert your pics into the text section of your post. I do each pic individually because I'm not sure how to compress them. Weylin has a tutorial on the top of this page you may want to look at.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 04:46:57 pm »
Did everything, saved photo to an album, used small size, but share will only give me a URL, doesn't offer a bbcode. Dunno what I'm doing wrong