Author Topic: New bow started(again, 1/4/2022)  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
New bow started(again, 1/4/2022)
« on: November 12, 2021, 12:51:44 pm »
A few months back a friend from Norway sent me some moose leg sinews. I decided to make an appropriate bow with this Norwegian moose sinew. The stave I'm using is a 59" red elm stave I got from a friend after his Dad passed away from a brain tumor. Patrick(lil Pat) and his Dad(Tom B) were both members here. After Tom passed Patrick gave me most of Tom's bow building supplies and I shared it all with other members that were also Tom's friends. I kept this red elm stave for a special bow.
  A few months ago I started reducing the stave to floor tiller stage then I got distracted. Yesterday and this morning I started with an initial heat straightening and here is where I am now...

I was thinking about a Holmgaard or Molle style bow, possibly recurved or with reflexed tips but I haven't really decided on that yet. It will be sinew backed with the Norwegian moose sinew.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 03:14:47 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
Re: New bow started
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 02:21:23 pm »
sounds like an awesome build. do you just prefer the heat or do you use steam some as well? For my limited amount of bow building, I have used both but can see where one can be more practicable in like what you are doing there. I need more steel clamps, they lend themselves better to the heat. heck I need a lot of better things than what I have but it is what it is LOL. 

Offline Will B

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 03:23:14 pm »
Looking forward to this build. I was gifted an elm stave awhile back and am currently straightening it. Good luck with it Pat!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 04:20:32 pm »
Looking forward to this, thanks for posting Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 05:56:48 pm »
Thanks guys.
 slinger, for this kind of straightening and removing twists I just use dry heat and veg oil on the wood. If I decide to recurve the limbs I will steam or boil them before bending. If I go with just reflexed tips I'll use dry heat with oil like I'm doing now. I want this to be a simple, sinew backed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 10:54:22 pm »
Pat, I have never had good luck with red elm. They all take so much set, in the range of 3 inches, it's disheartening. I've over built them, dropped weight, and heat treated till its black. I don't know what your experience is, but if it were me, I'd put a lot of reflex and heat treat it to the point of obscenity then sinew it.

I see you want a simple bow but thats just my offering of experience. Still watching with interest.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 11:59:31 pm »
Sleak, I've had good luck with elm, both red and winged. I've only made a few elm bows but was impressed with it. I will add reflex and heat treat the belly. 

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 12:28:50 am »
Don't the Norwegians call the Moose an Elk.
I wonder how Americans and others began calling them Moose? Perhaps an Indian word for the animal?
The sinew must be as tough as it gets, those critters have a lot of muscle in their bustle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 08:23:25 am »
The name for this bow will be "Elg Bue", Norwegian for Moose Bow.  I think it was the elk that was misnames by early immigrants to North America.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 04:21:20 pm »
Yes, in northern Europe an elk is the Alces alces (even the latin name means elk) that in North America we call moose. But in old English an elk is any large member of the deer family, so when they brought that language over to North America they tagged the Cervus canadensis with that name, though many are using the name wapiti for them.

Yup, it's a living language and it they say the English and the Americans are separated by a common language!

All that being said, I'd love you to take this bow moose hunting with you. Maybe Marc St. Louis will let you shoot one out of his back yard?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bowmonk

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 10:05:30 pm »
Looking forward to the results :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 03:13:16 pm »
Just so you guys don't think I'm too lame and since it's the beginning of a new year I had the urge to do some bow work. I thinned the limbs a bit more so the straightening would be a bit easier and started more straightening and untwisting. The last 6" of one end had a slight dog leg I straightened and the other limb had some twist and bends I wanted out do I got some veg oil and my heat gun and went to work. With most of my clamps and one of my reflex forms I went to it. I'll let it sit a day or 2 to cool and relax then release it from the form and see where I stand. Here are a few pics...

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: New bow started(again, 1/4/2022)
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 06:33:20 pm »
Looks like it's going to be a great one, Pat.  Should be a good shooter with some great "magic" to it.  Keep us posted.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 08:16:12 pm »
Looking good Pat, question for you a little off topic, is that the man that came to the Classic with his son several years back, I know he had cancer and died that same year, just not good on name but remember he was a very fine fellow and was thinking his name was Tom, supplied a lot of meat for the Saturday night supper and hung out in the shop and all around for the whole weekend.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 09:27:27 pm »
Looking good.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!