Author Topic: Perfection  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Kidder

Perfection
« on: November 15, 2021, 01:51:43 am »
Maybe it’s a silly question. Maybe it’s a question without an answer. Maybe it’s dependent upon the eyes of the maker. But is perfection in wood bow making possible? Is it possible to have a perfect tiller? Or is every tiller capable of being improved upon even if it’s ever so slightly. Seems like the more experience I get the more I see the imperfections, chase them, and realize it’s a never ending endeavor.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Perfection
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 03:50:09 am »
Good question...it's about satisying yourself and setting your own challenge.
A case in point:- I was given a gorgeous Yew stave with marvelous undulations, it had been split from the log and had tear outs and drying cracks. It was a challenge but made a stunning bow. Because it was so good looking, I went above and beyond what I'd normally consider a good standard and wanted to make it a masterpice.
It exploded after a few hundred shots.
So, it's easy to make a "perfect" bow with premium quality materials and a safe design... but would it be worth a second glance?
Conversely it's easy to go overboard with decoration and end up with something that wouldn't look out of place in a tourist's trinket emporium.
Just gotta do your own thing... you don't have to justify it to anyone!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 05:33:25 am »
tryin' to make the perfect bow is like tryin' to count to infinity twice...maybe chuck norris can do that, not us  ;) still it's a nice goal...
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 07:34:02 am »
As the saying goes"Perfection is the enemy of good". As a perfectionist myself, its something that took a long time for me to learn.

After a certain point you risk making things worse, pushing things too far, or coming in underweight. You also have to learn what is the best that can be expected, and reasonably ascertain how close you really are to this goal.

All you can ask of yourself is the best you can do at your current level of experience. Don't get ahead of yourself. Keep an open mind and learn from mistakes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 08:32:43 am »
Prefect is very possible. It's not arrogant to think such.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 09:40:07 am »
Kidder, What a can of worms you have opened up. (lol) (-P

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 09:57:18 am »
You must first define perfection before asking if you can attain it.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 10:22:28 am »
Jim Hamm said he never made the perfect bow. This , or that could have been better.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 10:31:56 am »
Let me throw my worm into this can... my goal in building "primitive" bows and arrows was to be as simple as possible and still be effective. Perfection never came to mind. You can look at any of my bows or arrows and there are plenty of imperfections from tool marks to the tiller being slightly off or arrows that look like snakes. I understand folks striving for perfection but when using natural materials like tree staves and hardwood shoots for arrows perfection is in nature itself and not necessarily the end result of our creations.  (--)  )-w(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 11:13:47 am »
Shakers built the most beautiful furniture...simple but beautiful.

They always intentionally built a little imperfection.

Good luck with your quest.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 01:12:52 pm »
I’m a perfectionist. When I say it’s perfect, it’s perfect. No matter how many imperfections it has.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 02:09:15 pm »
A good definition of perfection I heard was something like 'perfect is when nothing can be taken away or added without detracting from the item'.
Of course we are all different and therefore our personal definition of 'perfection' is by default different from somebody else........

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 02:50:30 pm »
Prefect is very possible. It's not arrogant to think such.

Except for spelling, in your case!  LOL!!!

(Sorry, just had to take a poke atcha.)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 04:05:49 pm »
I'd say don't take too much time perfecting a bow, take time perfecting your skills, the bows will follow.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2021, 03:28:53 am »
There are plenty of great answers already. But, as to your specific question, I personally could not say as to whether or not a primitive bow can attain perfect tiller. I know there are some dern AMAZING bowyers here on PA...and most if not all of their tiller work looks pretty much perfect to me.

I also know that I certainly have never attained a perfect tiller. I have, however, achieved a tiller that is definitely good enough on a handful of bows. They feel balanced and smooth...balanced and smooth enough, that is. And when I draw these bows in a mirror their tillers look darn good.

But not perfect.

Again, though, good enough. But I know I am not satisfied with good enough myself. Because every time I start a new bow I am striving to make its tiller better than that of my previous bows.