Author Topic: Out of curiosity  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Nasr

Out of curiosity
« on: January 04, 2022, 11:25:53 pm »
Why does my draw length change depending on bow? I seem to have a longer draw on a d bow with no handle then a bow with a stiff handle that is 1.5” thick. Also the d bow is heavier. I know that a heavier bow would make me compress my draw more but doesn’t seem to be the case. So my only theory is that the d bow has the arrow closer to the center of the bow then the stiff handle bow. Am I missing something here? So the d bow is 3/4 inch thick at the center while the stiff handle is 1.5” thick but I draw the d bow to 26.5 from the back of the bow. So I would think my stiff handle draw would be a little over 27.

Offline Kidder

Re: Out of curiosity
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 12:14:52 am »
Could it be the angle that you are holding your wrist as you grip the bows based upon different handle styles?

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 02:00:58 am »
You measure drawlength to the back of the bow. It doesn't make any difference how deep the handle is. Probably something to do with your anchor,arm/shoulder positions.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 03:47:40 am »
Could it be the angle that you are holding your wrist as you grip the bows based upon different handle styles?

Checked the video doesn’t seem my bow hand grip change from one to the other.

You measure drawlength to the back of the bow. It doesn't make any difference how deep the handle is. Probably something to do with your anchor,arm/shoulder positions.

How could it not? The thicker the handle the further my palm is from back of the bow. Imagine putting a block between your hand and the handle then pulling the bow, your gonna be pulling the bow further back. Am I missing something here?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 10:44:36 am »
Nope thicker handle longer draw if measured to back of bow considering your body’s draw does not change. I can’t see that being more than a 1/2 or so. How much is your draw changing. My guess is it’s you.Back tension that is not consistent will change your draw length.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:57:33 am by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Nasr

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 11:47:30 am »
Nope thicker handle longer draw if measured to back of bow considering your body’s draw does not change. I can’t see that being more than a 1/2 or so. How much is your draw changing. My guess is it’s you.Back tension that is not consistent will change your draw length.

It’s about 26” with the stiff handle. Where I would expect it to be 27”. I have had my draw measured at a archery shop and at one point my draw was around 28 but their bow is basically a kids bow with little to no weight on it. I do think you are right though I was thinking of getting a clicker set up on my bow and revisit my form. I haven’t been shooting in a very long while but I have been the past month or so and I think I may have let my form slip.