Author Topic: skin, and sapwood backed osage  (Read 1739 times)

Offline rps3

skin, and sapwood backed osage
« on: January 05, 2022, 01:13:02 pm »
Just finished one up I've had in the works for a while now. 64" long, mid 50's at 28" draw. Somehow I was off with alignment and had to heat the limb after the skin was on for correction, and realized that snakeskin doesnt like the heat gun. It is a minor imperfection, and a lesson learned.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: skin, and sapwood backed osage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 01:29:17 pm »
Very nice. I like the looks of snake skin. I won't be using it, but I'm glad when a rattler or copperhead gives his up. ;-)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 03:02:46 pm »
Rps3 bow looks great. Top limb might need a bit off from mid limb to tip. May be the angle your holding the bow though. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 04:02:19 pm »
beautiful congrats :)

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 05:11:09 pm »
Very nice bow. Got some good wiggles. I agree with Arvin about the top limb.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 07:36:10 pm »
Looking at the unbraced side profile, left limb I’m guessing is the top limb, has a natural kink about mid limb, and the the limb from there out angles up with some reflex. Full draw may not be to far of considering the starting point.

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 08:10:04 pm »
Thank you for the comments and critique. I figured I would get some suggestions on the top limb, but with the unbraced profile vs full draw, I was happy with the bend, although I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting a little more bend there. Its maintaining its profile nicely so I'm pretty sure I'll keep it as is.

Offline Will B

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 08:26:37 pm »
Beautiful bow!  I like the looks of the sapwood on that osage stick. I will definitely have to try that on one someday. Nicely done!

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 09:50:35 pm »
Your assessment is right bentstick, and as you mentioned, it might not be too far off. I spent alot of time looking at this area and definitely can see how one would want a little more bend there, but in the end I think I'm happy where it is.

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 05:57:22 am »
Can't beat a nice snaky osage :)
I suspect it is the angle of the picture that makes it look 'worse' than it is. Set will always give you the best tiller critque! If its holding its profile...the wood thinks its ok ;)

Offline M2A

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 09:24:27 am »
Real nice bow! always like the way copperheads look on osage.
Mike

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 01:05:40 pm »
Cool lookin snake bow. Love the sap wood, snake skin combo. And as that osage ages it will really pop
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Rowan Bows

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 02:25:57 pm »
Thats BOM stuff right there. Looking for the tiller its hard to discuss about. you have to see the clean stave before any draw or heat treat. I can see reflex and deflex spots in the upper limb unstringed and seriously I think you knew exactly what you were doing cause limbs are even. tiller discussion among uploaded pictures is always difficult. Very nice bow -even limbs - individual handcrafted details
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:59:44 pm by Rowan Bows »

Offline rps3

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 10:27:34 pm »
Thanks again. I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments. I have made quite a few sapwood backed osage lately and really like it. Helps get an extra split from a stave sometimes.