Author Topic: Tillering advice  (Read 2446 times)

Offline NewBowyer

Tillering advice
« on: January 07, 2022, 03:41:38 pm »
Seeking opinions on my tillering of this 68” (66” NTN) honeysuckle stave. I chose the concave side as the back to use the natural bend as reflex. It’s at 20” (40#) now and it looks like the left (top) limb is stiffer- am I accurate? Are both limbs’ inner thirds bending too much? To my uneducated eye it looks it’s already bending an awful lot, yet has 8” more to reach 28”.

I’m also wondering about adding a rawhide backing- should that come after final tillering, or at some point before?

Shooting for 50# @28” but I’ll settle for upper 40s; TBH I’ll just be happy if there’s a working bow here. Thanks, all.

Offline Nasr

Re: Tillering advice
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 04:02:23 pm »
 the left limb doesnt look to be bending more overall but it does look like it needs to bend more mid and outer third of the limb. the right limb looks like it also need to bend more outer limb and a little at the fade. 

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 04:05:10 pm »
the red is where you need to remove wood. But you can wait till more people chime in. its better to get more opinions.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 06:24:39 pm »
the red is where you need to remove wood. But you can wait till more people chime in. its better to get more opinions.
That's what I was seeing too.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 04:43:06 am »
I agree  - watch those unmarked areas!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 06:23:39 am »
I wouldn’t touch that right inner limb as Nasr marked but I would agree with the other areas.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 11:46:40 am »
Would it be better to add the rawhide backing after final tillering, or at some point before?

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 08:30:09 pm »
Now 43# @ 24", still see a stiff outer third of left limb. Fire harden now, or after final tillering? Planning to back it at the end. Thanks, all.

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 04:28:05 am »
I would scrape that outer left limb a little and then heat-treat immediately. If you plan on heat-treating I have had better results doing so before she’s tillered out fully...

...but, then again, there might be differing opinions on the when-to-heat-treat issue...

Offline SpringyWoodPassion

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 09:03:16 am »
I agree with TimmyDeNorCal. Is the left limb slightly longer or is it just my impression? Great work space.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 11:11:50 am »
Left limb is actually 1” shorter; it’s the lower. I’ll work on that until its outer portion bends better, hopefully to around 26” draw, then fire harden it. That’ll have to wait until later because it’s wet here and the Colts play today. If anyone has ever fire hardened or rawhide backed a honeysuckle stave I’d like to hear about it. Thanks, all, for the great input and direction. Fingers crossed…

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 08:55:48 am »
Hingy left limb, you need a tillering gizmo.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 11:02:24 am »
I think the end of the fades needs to move a bit more. But feather in wood removal. In other words don't hit short areas with  What I do is mark the end of the fades with a  nice dark pencil line and using a scraper get the wood starting to move there. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 03:46:51 pm »
EK where are you seeing a hinge? I do have a gizmo

Offline Nasr

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 06:02:43 pm »
this is what i see