Author Topic: Black Locust  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Piddler

Black Locust
« on: January 17, 2022, 09:13:45 pm »
Have a question on a piece of black locust. Currently roughed out to 68" tip to tip. I have it 1.5" for half limb then tapering to 1/2" tips.
Question is should I leave it as is or change to straight taper from fades to tip. Its a pretty good stave has one pin knot I got too close to but should be ok. I do plan on some small recurves that will use approx 4 1/2" to 5" of the ends.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 10:48:09 pm »
Black locust is a great bow wood but is susceptible to fretting if the tiller isn't perfect. I think your first design would be a good one for locust. What draw weight at what draw length are you shooting for?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M2A

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 09:32:27 am »
I agree with Pat. That would be too narrow for me to make a stiff handle average draw weight/lenght but could be done. but I dont put much recurve in anything, so that may add another factor into things     
Mike         

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 10:02:59 am »
I agree with Pat too. That's the design I use for it. If you find the stave not responding to wood removal, as I don't know the poundage you want or our draw length, then you can slowly narrow it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 10:21:29 am »
Your first design is good. Straight taper would leave a lot less wood which isn’t a good formula for a wood that can fail easily in compression. At only 1” wide at mid limb (with the straight taper) you’d want a lot more working limb like a bendy handle longbow.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 09:24:09 pm »
Thanks fellas first design it is and thanks for the replies. Always good to have some help. As far as draw weight I was shooting for 50 to 55 at 27". It is going to be stiff handle and have a bit of a knot to swirl around at the arrow pass so that will work out good. Not 100% committed to the recurves just yet but was in the original plan. I curved a real shorty of the same wood and went ok with no issues. Boiled them. Still need to finish that bow one day.
Thanks again
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"