Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 122880 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #780 on: July 07, 2023, 04:02:06 am »
That sure is a nice spot You have there. Have to say, that East side of the "Thumb", is My favorite part of Our Great State ! Lots of Deer and Great Fishing. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #781 on: July 07, 2023, 01:12:36 pm »
That sure is a nice spot You have there. Have to say, that East side of the "Thumb", is My favorite part of Our Great State ! Lots of Deer and Great Fishing. Bob

It is a great fit for me to Bob. Nice mix of farms, creeks and woods. It’s really a shame the ash all died. It was prettier when they were alive.

It took me way too long to realize how beautiful of a place I roam. I don’t take it for granted now. I truly appreciate it.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #782 on: July 08, 2023, 06:18:26 pm »
Well, we just got home.  Sure did enjoy your state, though we mostly explored the more western side of the thumb, around Petoskey, Gaylord, Grayling, Ludington, and Traverse City.  Some of the towns are pretty touristy for my taste (everybody said we were in TC at the absolute worst time), but I liked the hilly landscape around Petoskey and northwest of TC.  I get to feeling lonesome if I can't see a mountain range on the horizon.  Those maple/oak forests blew me away--we don't have trees like that in Wyoming.  Fireflies are amazing.  And the Badgerling and I got in some quality fish-watching at Ludington state park.  There's a whole lot of biodiversity in your waters, which we really enjoyed.

Too bad we didn't have time for a side trip your way--maybe next time. 
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #783 on: July 09, 2023, 06:19:03 am »
I thought about you a lot the past couple weeks. Wondered how your visit worked out.

Yeah you would’ve been in TC during the Cherry festival and Fourth of July too. I’m sure their population triples then.

The sunrise side of the thumb is pretty cool spot too. No mountains though. Unless you count the Verona hills. I’m guessing you wouldn’t.

It’s not touristy at all. I don’t really know why, but that’s fine with me. I like it that way.

Glad you enjoyed your visit WB. Sure would’ve been nice to meet you and the rest of the Bagers.

I’m heading to the beach now to meet my cousin for one last cup of coffee at the beach. He is getting on a plane to California about noon. Going to miss him, but part of my old body is going to be glad to get a little break.lol

Was definitely nice to have him back though

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #784 on: July 10, 2023, 11:13:54 am »
We don’t have mountains, but we’re blessed in many other ways.

I shared a cup of coffee with my cousin at the beach yesterday morning. Then gave him a hug goodbye. Less than a year till I see you again he says. We’ve been doing this for a lot of years and it seems to be getting harder for me every year. I don’t take our time for granted.

I was working in my garden last night when I text him to see if he was home. I sent him a picture or two and told him good night.

Bjrogg

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #785 on: July 10, 2023, 06:10:01 pm »
Beautiful garden BJ. Beautiful place, too. I learn a lot reading your posts.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #786 on: July 12, 2023, 09:02:15 pm »
Beautiful garden BJ. Beautiful place, too. I learn a lot reading your posts.

Same here.  Always enjoy your pictures and hearing what you're up to.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #787 on: July 13, 2023, 09:20:18 am »
Thank You Steve and Mr Badger.

I’m glad you enjoy the pictures and extremely happy to share this passion of mine with you all. It’s been over 39 years since I returned from the city to farm full time. Spent many hours farming growing up on one before going to city. I honestly don’t miss the city even a tiny little bit. I think this is where I belong. It definitely has its challenges, but it also has its rewards.

We finally got a good rain everywhere. I got 1.35” and that’s the first one over an inch in a long time.

Of course we are quickly approaching wheat harvest so the rain is a double edged sword. It could turn our valuable wheat crop into feed wheat. We can’t afford that. The rest of our crops really need it though so we will gladly take it.

Doesn’t look like the greatest weather forecast for our wheat for the rest of this week though.

The dilemma of a farmer. Can’t imagine being the good lord sorting out all those prayers for rain here but not there.lol

I’m not complaining though. I’m going to be happy for the rain that we did need and got. Worry about the other stuff latter.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #788 on: July 13, 2023, 10:15:29 am »
I’m hoping our wheat is still not mature enough to be hurt by the rain. It’s getting really close though. I think it’s about seven good days from harvest. Weather sounds like dripping around little showers everyday for the next week. It has cooled down considerably though. Had to find my jacket again. Never get too far away from my pickup and extra clothes.

Wheat looks really nice. Hope we can get it off milling quality. We already have a bunch of the money spent and need some income.

Bjrogg

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #789 on: July 13, 2023, 08:52:44 pm »
Good luck on the wheat.  I heard it rained here the whole time we were in Michigan, while Michigan (at least the part we were in) was in a drought.  Weird.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #790 on: July 14, 2023, 12:33:00 pm »
This time of year is feast or famine. Usually spotty showers and the places that get them seem to keep getting them, while the ones that don’t get them continue to not get them.

We’ve had some of both this year, but I’m not complaining.

Our personal crops look good.

The sugar beets have 30” wide rows filled out nicely already and the rain they just got should really help them put some tons on early. We want them to get and use their nitrogen early. Put on tons and then in the fall start making sugar and storing it in their roots.

Sugar Beets

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #791 on: July 14, 2023, 12:49:04 pm »
Our pinto beans are starting to blossom. The cool moist rain and weather predicted is ideal for white mold. I’m trying to put a fungicide on them between showers.

White mold can be devastating around here. We do as many things as we can to help control it.

We plant lower populations and wide row spacing to help give plants a little more room.

We try to grow varieties that are narrow and stand well to keep them off the ground.

We rotate crops

And we use fungicides much like a person would for a yeast infection or athletes foot

The fungicide we use is very short lived and the timing of applying it is very important. If I have the environmental conditions favorable for it I would really like to get an application as soon as the plants have their first blossoms. The fungus enters the plant through the blossoms. We put a protectant on the blossom to help prevent the fungus from growing on and entering into the blossoms.

It’s raining again. I have to put it on a dry plant and it needs to dry on so I’m waiting to mix anymore

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #792 on: July 16, 2023, 07:40:15 am »
Yesterday morning I managed to spray one more batch in between rain showers.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #793 on: July 16, 2023, 07:44:38 am »
Then it was time to go to the county park for my favorite granddaughter’s birthday party. She’s my only granddaughter so I can say that. She might be my favorite even if I had another. She is a sweet heart and I have very much enjoyed watching her grow up. Can’t believe she’s 17 already and going to be a senior this fall.

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #794 on: July 16, 2023, 07:48:05 am »
We no more than cut the cake and it started raining. It poured for probably about 45 minutes. We all crowded into the camper and she opened her presents. Mostly books. She is a real bookworm and whenever she gets a chance she has a book in her hand.

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 07:57:46 am by bjrogg »