Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 119908 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #930 on: September 23, 2023, 08:32:59 am »
Back in the truck this morning.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #931 on: September 25, 2023, 02:43:53 am »
Was gone a few Days at Squirrel Camp with Bruce n Sons n Grandsons. Glad to see some productive weather for You!  (=) Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #932 on: September 25, 2023, 07:06:03 am »
Tell Bruce and Cindy I said Hi Bob. Really miss them both.

Yes this weather was much appreciated. Pinto bean harvest was a test of my nerves, but our black bean harvest was a once in a lifetime experience. We had fantastic weather. Fantastic yields and quality. We don’t have all the trucks unloaded yet, but I’m pretty sure we broke all of our previous records for our black bean yields.

The biggest thing this year was white mold control. Bean yields are all over the place from 4,500 lbs per acre to 400 lbs per acre. Our growing conditions were perfect for both our beans and white mold.

Harvest went so smoothly that I almost wished we had a couple hundred more acres to harvest. Opening day bow is less than a week away though and I still have a lot of work to finish.

Today I’m hoping to get trucks unloaded and back at planting wheat.

Bjrogg

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #933 on: September 25, 2023, 12:57:30 pm »
Glad to hear you're finally getting stuff in, BJ.  I wish we could grow black beans around here; they're my favorite kind and seem to make one a little less aromatic than most other kinds.  But our season just isn't long enough.  Anyway, sounds like you finally had some cooperative weather.  About time!

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #934 on: September 26, 2023, 12:44:28 pm »
They certainly are a good survival food too. Lots of protein and very nutritious. They are one of the shorter day growing season crops that we grow. They don’t like it cold though and a frost will kill them.

Got another 127 acres of wheat planted but rained out now. Got a chance to catch up on some stuff in the office.

Don’t know if I will have everything done I was hoping to by opening day bow season, but we put a pretty good dent in it. About 140 acres of wheat to plant yet. 32 acres of my son’s black beans

Should be able to get it if it doesn’t keep raining

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #935 on: September 28, 2023, 07:19:20 am »
Hope it works out for you BJ for opening day, seems yall are getting all the rain, it is dry as a chip here, we need some pretty bad but September is usually our driest month , supposed to rain yesterday evening but all went south of us. They are cutting corn everywhere here , mine is ready and supposed to be cut early next week, be glad when it is gone, hard to hunt a standing corn field.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #936 on: October 01, 2023, 09:22:34 pm »
Thanks Pappy. I did get out this morning and watched the sunrise from one of my trees.
Almost got a shot at a nice big doe, but she changed directions.

We aren’t actually really wet. We haven’t been getting big rains. Mostly just drizzle. Just hard weather to get beans dry.

I did finish planting our wheat. Finished my sons black beans this afternoon.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #937 on: October 02, 2023, 04:04:28 am »
Great Pic ! Treestand therapy cleanses the Soul  :-D.   (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #938 on: October 02, 2023, 07:13:14 am »
Yep beautiful picture, love them kind of mornings. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #939 on: October 06, 2023, 06:47:10 am »
Great Pic ! Treestand therapy cleanses the Soul  :-D.   (=) Bob.

It certainly does cleanse the soul.

Gotta admit it doesn’t make my sciatic nerve feel any better though. And my floater’s in my eyes don’t help for seeing deer either. Still was good to be able to get out though. Still the only chance I had.

We did finish up our neighbors Black Beans and another neighbor’s soybeans. They were both very happy to get them off and get wheat planted.

We got parts to fix my son’s header for his combine. Tore it apart and replaced stainless steel floor. Pretty big in season job, but we got it finished yesterday. Really only missed one day harvesting with it.
It rained yesterday and it is supposed to drizzle around here for the next five days. Really glad we got as much done as we have.

We still have to harvest our soybeans, but they aren’t quite ready yet. Permanent pile regular season beet harvest is probably only a couple weeks away now. The weather is supposed to be highs in the 50’s lows in the low 40’s to upper 30’s now. That would be ideal weather to harvest and pile our beets, but it’s a little early yet. Normally we start permanent piles about oct 20. We need cool enough temperatures that our beets will store well. However we can’t pile beets that are frozen.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #940 on: October 06, 2023, 06:50:22 am »
Yep beautiful picture, love them kind of mornings. :)
 Pappy

Me too Pappy. They are extra special from my tree stand, but I love watching them from my tractor to

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #941 on: October 12, 2023, 09:21:22 am »
Haven’t had much nice weather for hunting since opening day. Mostly been very windy and drizzle. We have been working in shop and office.

One of our neighbors borrowed our litter spreader and broke the apron chain. They pretty much ruined it. We pulled it out and cut all the pieces we need off. Was hoping to fix the chain but decided to get new one. They aren’t cheap.

My nephew cutting apart old chain.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #942 on: October 12, 2023, 09:34:45 am »
Yesterday I had to go to skin doctor. I had a melanoma spot removed about four years ago and it came back last winter. Had it removed again about six months ago. Doctor said it looked good. Couldn’t find any other spots or anything he wanted to biopsy. That’s good.

When I got home from doctors, I did a few things in the office and then I went to the woods.

The wind finally died down and the sun was even shining.

I saw a quite a few deer. One doe came from behind my tree on my right side. I don’t really feel comfortable with that shot. She was nervously looking at something in the trees ahead of her. I couldn’t see what it was. I was thinking about drawing my bow when she decided whatever it was she wasn’t staying there anymore. She turned tail and left. It was nice getting a chance anyway.

I didn’t get any pictures of deer, but here’s a sailboat for Bob.

Felt good to sit in a tree, but I sure was hurting when I climbed out of it. Dang sciatic nerve.

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #943 on: October 12, 2023, 09:41:15 am »
I really like this location but I think I might move stand to a different tree next year.

I like having all the apple trees here and I think they will bare more fruit when I get the rest of the dead ash out of them.

Most have dropped their fruit, but I can see two that are still hanging on to it. Nice to have some late season fruit for hunting.

The deer aren’t interested in apples so far. They have all the beans and sugar beets they want. All the apples are rotting on the ground.

Maybe a little later in the season when these drop. I’m hoping so

Bjrogg

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #944 on: October 12, 2023, 09:43:43 am »
Thinking of moving to a different tree to get better shoots behind me.

That’s where all the deer where last night

Bjrogg