Author Topic: Wild apple bow design ?  (Read 5477 times)

Offline freke

Wild apple bow design ?
« on: February 04, 2022, 11:52:12 am »
Hi,
I have got my hands over a stave of wild apple, it has dried for about two years and I think its soon time to start working but I have no experience with apple and what dimensions, length with etc so I hope someone can share some advice as I have find very little information, have seen few really stunning bows made and want to try it out.

It is nearly straight and a minor correction in handle section should be enough, and no twist or checks but the back has several small knots that I think should be fine if I can avoid damage em durring build.
The diameter is about 2 1/2",  It has a deflexed center area and if I use the deepest point the stave would allow up to about 72" ntn although I prefer 68" or bellow.
My draw is length is 28" and would target 50-60# if material allow.

My thinking was to keep the natural deflex middy section and add long reflex tips so final result is slightly positive reflexed, what concerns me is that I not really know how wide I need to make the limbs and if the crown is an issue, please advice?

Thanks in advance,
Jonas

Offline Hamish

Re: Wild apple bow design ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 09:30:36 pm »
I haven't used apple for a bow yet(I do have a bunch of crab apple billets seasoning).
Stemmler, a bowyer, author mentions it as a genuine bow wood. It will definitely make a flatbow, and I suspect it might make a good bow of English design(narrow and thick).

Reported to be very easy to bend corrections with heat.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 02:04:00 am »
Wild apple wood will make a fine bow.
Gordon

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 06:40:29 am »
It is a great bow wood, the crown is not an issue. It is very responsive to heat and you can straighten out rediculous amounts of bend.  I would cleave that, see where you are and then make a decision.  Apple with that many knots can be very tricky to cleave, so go carefully. Starting the split at the handle can be a good idea with wood like this. Obviously I can't say for sure but it looks to me like there's a fair amount of heli twist in there, be interesting to see how it comes out.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 06:55:06 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline freke

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 07:14:44 am »
It will be interesting how well it answer to heat as it need some TLC to get even shape.

Once I collected the stave and still fresh I removed about half way down to the pit on the back side. I choice the easy way removing the side with the big branches leaving the side with the small - done to prevent check and twist once drying. Added the a picture from the back side, may show better how the wood looks like, but I can't tell if it is twisted for sure but it looks promising.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 07:24:34 am »
Looks really good, it should make a really nice bow

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 08:30:43 am »
I made this one https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/crab-apple-flat-bow-im-knot-ready/

It's still shooting much to my pleasant surprise.
Don

Offline freke

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 11:48:44 am »
I made this one https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/crab-apple-flat-bow-im-knot-ready/

It's still shooting much to my pleasant surprise.

Nice bow bow and a really built description (have bookmarked it), looks to have been challenging with all knots what width of your bow?

Most says easy to form with heat, is it dry heat, or including steam? 
( I usually use steam for bigger chunks and dry heat(or steam) thinner sections)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 12:12:12 pm »
That's a really wacky stave, I hope you have experience. 

I also wonder how much seasoning the stave did with bark on, even over 2 years.

Offline freke

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 11:09:55 am »
That's a really wacky stave, I hope you have experience. 

I also wonder how much seasoning the stave did with bark on, even over 2 years.

Well my experience with apple is zero, but from what I read do all fruit wood check and warp easy and must dry slow.  Both ends and all branches has been well sealed with white glue, yesterday I cut off little at one end and check the moisture and it show nearly 10% so It is not dry and I re-sealed it.

Another year waiting or can apple be roughed out to speed up the drying process at some point, and if from what percentage is it safe to to start work?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 12:33:55 pm »
If you are at 10% now I'd say to reduce it to floor tiller stage, seal the back and ends again and start tillering slowly. 9% to 11% is about average M/C for a selfbow
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline freke

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 04:14:25 pm »
If you are at 10% now I'd say to reduce it to floor tiller stage, seal the back and ends again and start tillering slowly. 9% to 11% is about average M/C for a selfbow

Thanks, I will start working it slowly and see where it leads

Offline freke

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 05:47:33 pm »
Well after last post, I start carefully to work but I realize as advised the stave was not fully dried so I left it for another year...

After some steaming, heat treating and a lot of sweat I finally get a bow out of it, still some fiddling with the handle and tuning.
It's the first and only apple bow I made and I am really like the wood it was indeed hard to work especially in the beginning, and a little more wonky than I am used to  but it was really fun and I am happy so far.
 I haven't measure the weight after last heat treat but suppose its about 45@at28" now.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 01:16:22 pm »
nice work congrats

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2023, 05:00:15 am »
it looks good. A full draw picture would be great