Author Topic: Build along hickory Buffalo horn belly/ sinew backed bow (pic heavy)  (Read 4517 times)

bownarra

Re: Build along hickory Buffalo horn belly/ sinew backed bow (pic heavy)
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2022, 04:05:47 am »
Right...now you need more reflex ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2022, 05:32:25 am »
In the past on this type of build just before sinewing I usually put masking tape on the belly.I've read of horn cracking before while sinew is drying.Just a precaution anyway.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Rowan Bows

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2022, 06:33:22 am »
so awsome Idea man and all in a molle shape. I love mollies must give you a tremendous speed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2022, 09:03:14 am »
Right...now you need more reflex ;)

I was hoping to get 10-11” reflex.  Right now after few days after laying final layer I’ve got 9+”.  Wil it get more as it dries or should I tighten the string to force it?   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2022, 09:10:34 am »
In the past on this type of build just before sinewing I usually put masking tape on the belly.I've read of horn cracking before while sinew is drying.Just a precaution anyway.

Thank for suggestions Ed.  Last horn bow I tried to put masking tape on ruined it by pulling fibres.  I blame the cheap tape. I’ve heard the same thing with horn cracking under stress so it’s was my worry as well.   I’ve been nervous of doing it again even with good 3m tape or painters tape for fear of pulling fibers.  The bow still functions but it has a small spot of lighter colour in the section of horn where it pulled.  Not sure if this is just a one off situation and would like to trust to do it again.  What tape are you using to put on the horn.  And have you ever seen tape do that before.  I’ll try and take a picture of it if I can.

Found a pic. It’s not great but you can sort of see where it pulled a bit. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/25z2stSsv1dq1QDV9

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 09:43:32 am by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2022, 09:14:29 am »
so awsome Idea man and all in a molle shape. I love mollies must give you a tremendous speed

Thanks man.  She’s build for speed.  I love the molles too.  They have a nice side profile I think. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2022, 09:55:24 am »

Thank for suggestions Ed.  Last horn bow I tried to put masking tape on ruined it by pulling fibres.  I blame the cheap tape. I’ve heard the same thing with horn cracking under stress so it’s was my worry as well.   I’ve been nervous of doing it again even with good 3m tape or painters tape for fear of pulling fibers.  The bow still functions but it has a small spot of lighter colour in the section of horn where it pulled.  Not sure if this is just a one off situation and would like to trust to do it again.  What tape are you using to put on the horn.  And have you ever seen tape do that before.  I’ll try and take a picture of it if I can.

Cheers
I just used a masking tape called frog tape for painting trim.I've never had it pull fibers of horn off or wood for that matter.It mostly helps before sinewing in that spilled or excess glue does not adhere to the belly any while sinewing.
I don't think it does as good a job as a strip of canvas and hide glue but I've never had any cracks ever develop.
If your humidity is'nt really low during drying I don't think there is a danger there.
Those cracks turn up mostly on wider bows.Like almost 2" wide.The sinew shrinks length wise and width wise.
I'm curious.What length of working limbs and what length of levers is on this bow?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2022, 12:57:06 pm »

Cheers
I just used a masking tape called frog tape for painting trim.I've never had it pull fibers of horn off or wood for that matter.It mostly helps before sinewing in that spilled or excess glue does not adhere to the belly any while sinewing.
I don't think it does as good a job as a strip of canvas and hide glue but I've never had any cracks ever develop.
If your humidity is'nt really low during drying I don't think there is a danger there.
Those cracks turn up mostly on wider bows.Like almost 2" wide.The sinew shrinks length wise and width wise.
I'm curious.What length of working limbs and what length of levers is on this bow?

Ya that tape is good stuff.  I should have used that instead.  I have some 3m stuff here but not likley as good as frog tape for removal as that’s the whole point of that stuff.   I’ll try out some frog tape on some scrap horn and see how it goes to build confidence with it.  I probably would have been fine to just warm the tape a little prior to removal.   Oh well live and learn.    The molle bow limbs are 1.75” at widest part out to 1.5” before they narrow in for levers.  The working limb is about 17-18”.  I measured from end of fade at base of limb to start of taper at the levers.  Levers are 11” long. 

Thanks for your feedback! 

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2022, 01:06:39 pm »
So I decided to increase reflex to 10.5”.  Call it good till it dries and cures.  This will end up with lots of reflex I suspect in the end. 

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com