Author Topic: Osage Static Questions  (Read 1911 times)

Offline wooddamon1

Osage Static Questions
« on: February 24, 2022, 08:32:48 pm »
Hey guys, I'm working on my 5th bow and planning on trying a static recurve and have a couple questions.

First, is a gradual, even taper of the limb thickness still necessary? Or is it okay to have an even thickness from the ends of the fades to the start of the curves?

Second, I plan to leave the tips full width while bending  (1 1/2"), does that seem excessive, or good to go? I want to make sure I have enough there for tweaking alignment if necessary, correct?

Third, I plan to steam the entire bow and clamp it in my reflex form,  wait a couple day then I'll do the tips with dry heat. Does that sound like a plan?

At this point the back profile is laid out with the grain, which is the straightest I've worked so far. Just a slight twist on one end to correct when it's on the form. Trying for 50#@28". The stave is 66"

Thanks for any tips and insight!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage Static Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 11:02:50 pm »
The ultimate limb thickness always depends on the tiller. If the limbs have parallel sides the thickness will have to taper some to bend properly. You could go ahead and narrow the tips to 1" to 3/4" wide then re-shape later to the final shape. Less wood will be easier to bend. I have bent full width recurves successfully but narrower would bend easier. If you can get the belly to one ring where you bend it there will be less of a splintering chance.
 Are you going to steam the tips? If so you can seal the back with shellac where you steam to help prevent any checking as it dries after steaming.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 03:31:33 am »
Absolutely a good taper is necessary. Recurves work best with a parallel width limb, start your width taper 10 inches or so from the recurves. The 'extra' width helps to stop them twisting.
Do not steam the entire bow. Use dry heat to heat treat/ shape the limbs. Boil your tips under water. Under the water is much better than steam.
1 1/2" wide is fine but make sure they aren't too thick - most common mistake people make. The center of the limb shouldn't be more than 1/2" to 5/8ths thick.

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 10:14:58 am »
good advise given.. good luck...gut

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 01:21:19 pm »
Thank you guys, very appreciative!

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 05:39:30 pm »
I steam mine, but boiling would probably be better. 1/2 hour for each 1/2in of thickness. Would not recommend dry heat for static tips, just my opinion....
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 01:42:18 pm »
Trying a pic post. Got it down to blank size, no pics yet.

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 01:44:17 pm »
Thanks, Stixnstones, that's the plan now after more research. Boil the tips then bend.

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 05:09:46 pm »
Another pic of where I'm leaving off for today. I think I'm ready to heat some reflex in tomorrow if I have time.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 06:34:53 pm »
Lookin good
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 06:46:03 pm »
Good luck wooddamon1

I do like bownarra.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2022, 02:24:54 am »
I forgot to say a couple of days soaking the tips underwater makes a HUGE difference!

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2022, 09:15:22 am »
Thanks again, guys!

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 08:08:23 pm »
Got most of the deflex out with dry heat, then boiled the tips and bent them. A little more heat tweaking for the tips, but not much. Then some rounding, rawhide backing and walnut tips before tillering. Looked good to my newbie eyes on the floor.

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 08:09:44 pm »
Forgot this pic