Author Topic: Test/a little news  (Read 4051 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Test/a little news
« on: March 06, 2022, 02:50:19 pm »
Just got through shooting this straight tipped sinewed winged elm bow through the chronograph.It pulls a touch over 47#'s @ 28"so I used a 475 grain bamboo arrow.I got two identical shots through it at 186 fps.62" TTT.
I must mention that I used a 9 strand 70 grain string also and I used Robin as a spotter while shooting.

slight opposing propellers on this bow.

I'll doll her up and show the rest of the story over the next few weeks.I see I did'nt quite get it to full draw in the picture or I did but the slow camera shutter action of the camera did'nt catch it right.
I thought I would post this to prove my observations on a subject.There was a discussion some time ago on a thread called "The mass principle question" started by freke about it's relation to sinewed bows.The disussion migrated to comparing recurves to straight tipped wooden bows' performances.
This bow is not an anomaly as I've seen this before over the years with other woods like KCT and hickory.Here's the discussion about it some time ago.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,70936.0.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 05:18:20 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RyanY

Re: Test/a little news
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 03:07:17 pm »
Love the tiller shape. Can’t wait to hear more.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 03:16:51 pm »
You can't post such a "killer tiller" and such great numbers without filling us in on the rest of the story...and pictures are a MUST...  :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 03:19:13 pm »
Thanks Ryan.It's different than the usual bow profiles working in such a shorter section of the bow and has been shown before.A fella not on here for a while called "bushboy" used to show some real dandies.
It was the performance thing that prompted me to post this.Far as I can see examining it it's got 45% working limbs and 55% stiffish outer limbs.The 3" fade into the lever does'nt bend much either with the bow having around 11" working limbs and around 15" stiff levers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:06:16 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 03:20:31 pm »
Thanks.I'm getting older Bob but I'll get er done.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 06:38:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 03:26:50 pm »
Nice one ED, and at 186 sounds like ya got a keeper. Bob

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 04:12:47 pm »
That is an acceptable fps!  Nice. looking bow!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 04:53:05 pm »
I could hunt with that bow…nice everything! Just out of curiosity, what’s the mass weight?

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 05:09:45 pm »
Wow that thing is smoking.  Lovely tiller

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 05:26:34 pm »
Thanks fellas.
Nonbacked....I did give the bow an 8" handle and fades.The mass weight on it is 17.50 ounces.With the lightened up outer limbs and tips many times these come in under weight even as a self bow.It can depend on how long handle and fades are.

Being sinew backed I don't think it conforms to the mass principle of self bows.At least it never has in the past for me.With it's reflex according to the table it should weigh at least 22 ounces as a self bow.

The way I see it I replaced wood with denser material [sinew] in the right places,and made it work for it's living stretching in the profile I applied it in.This bow shows that per gram weight wise a person can get a lot more efficient power and speed per gram from sinew than you can wood if it's applied properly in the right profile on only the inner limbs on some designs.

Hawkdancer.....All of acceptable Jerry.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 09:52:06 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 05:29:17 pm »
  Very impressed Ed, I value your test results also.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 05:43:41 pm »
thank you for posting,, I have always felt straight tip sinew bows were underrated,, this one being a little long by conventional standard,, shows they can really shoot and also that sinew does not weigh a bow down,,  )P( great work congrats on a really nice bow,,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 06:26:22 pm »
Steve....Thanks.Just trying not to get bored over here.
Brad...I chose a medium length bow.Starting out width dimensions and my normal thickness for a flat bow working limb on this bow being winged elm and the density that it is dictated the length for my needed draw weight.I gained around 10#'s by cutting off 4".The rest of the draw weight gained I got using the sinew.
The sinewing is crowned very well also and only on the inner limbs and handle.
Without shortening it and sinewing it would of made about a 35# bow at best at the width that it was.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 05:20:15 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Will B

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 06:44:40 pm »
Nice bow Ed! That’s an impressive result. Always love seeing your bows posted here.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 08:00:48 pm »
Thanks Will.....I don't make as many per year any more so I try to focus on harder challenges.
BowEd
Ed