Author Topic: snake skin  (Read 1087 times)

Offline timmyd

snake skin
« on: March 17, 2022, 02:41:35 pm »
anyone buy any snake skins recently? last time i bought i got them from Pine Hollow but the last few times I checked, they haven't had any listed.

Offline Hamish

Re: snake skin
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 08:13:46 pm »
All the snakes hid because they didn't want covid :)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 10:53:09 am »
Check out hide and fur dot com.   They usually have a decent selection.  I've never ordered from them so can't speak regarding quality or service.  Just been looking.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 09:25:17 am »
There are a few prairie rattlers on eBay that are dried not tanned.

I used to buy all of mine from a dealer that went by bsktcas , he sold matched sets of very good skins of $25-$30, last time I checked his sets were over $50.

His store was called Skins N Scales, he doesn't have any up for sale now but probably will after the rattlesnake roundups start out west.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 02:10:50 pm »
I have bought several pair from bsktcas on eBay in the past also. Very nice skins. I think the last I bought were $35 a pair for 33” or 34” skins. Usually the bigger the skins the more expensive they get. Remember also the longer/bigger the skins the bigger the pattern gets. For me the I like to use the shortest skin I can for the bow I’m skinning to maintain as much of the pattern as I can.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 03:42:56 pm »
Check out hide and fur dot com.   They usually have a decent selection.  I've never ordered from them so can't speak regarding quality or service.  Just been looking.

Haven't bought any snake skins from them, but their 'select quality' 100 out of 100, their 1st quality is generally about 95% perfect.   'very slightly damaged' is between 90% and 95%, 'slightly damaged' is normally no better than %85.  For a bow I wouldn't buy any skins less than 'very slightly damaged'.  Anything less is to likely to have a tear or cut running into the center.  They have very few photos.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 08:05:05 pm »
Just ask Mike at Pine Hollow...he always has some.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...