Author Topic: All bamboo tri-lam?  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Apex Predator

All bamboo tri-lam?
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:59:57 am »
I'm about to start an all bamboo R/D bow. I understand that a bow like this can be a real screamer, but takes bunches of set. How wide and how much reflex should I induce at glue up? Raw boo back, action boo core and belly. I have two pieces of action boo, so this would be a tri-lam. Thanks
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

perry

Re: All bamboo tri-lam?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:38:38 pm »
A few folks out here are using bamboo laminate flooring that has been heat treated for core laminations and backings with success . I have made all bamboo bows and they all developed a lot of string follow . I have read that tempered bamboo resists compression better . Don't the Japanese temper the belly lams on their bows ?

I have not tried the tempering , but in my approach I reasoned a trapazoid cross section , 2 to 3 " deflex - 4 to 5 inches reflex could help the limb tips stay at least flush with the riser , The bows I made where 66" -70 " , tapering from 1 1/4" at the fades to 3 /8 " nocks . All my all boo bows disapointed me with stringfollow . Last all natural  laminate I made had boo back ,switched to a tapered boo core and I switched to using some white oak on the belly and reduced the reflex and deflex to 2 1/2" and the bow worked out well , I'd say due to white oaks better compression and a better tiller at first brace due to the boo backing and core being tapered

Hope some of my bad experience can help

regards Jacko
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:44:15 pm by perry »

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 07:02:47 pm »
ya definently got to get us some pics of that if it works.
lets just shoot it

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 07:16:49 pm »
It will definitely work.  Many have built bows like this.  I just wanted some pointers on specs.  I know it will take more set than a similar wood belly, I just didn't know how much.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:23:15 pm »
oh, sorry. no insult meant.  ;)just be sure to get a pic of it WHEN it works. there. i just aint ever seen one like it before.
lets just shoot it