Author Topic: about yew growth  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Blacktail

about yew growth
« on: May 16, 2008, 01:26:01 pm »
my question is about the growth or size of yew.if your out looking for good wood for warbows.does the size of tree matter.are older trees better than younger or smaller tree.what do you looks for in trees that will give you a war bows...do you start out with a certain elevation.any info would be great.photos are better.thanks john

Offline Tom_Brone

Re: about yew growth
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:47:17 pm »
High alitude yew is the best because it grows slower. The slower it grows, the thinner the growth rings, and the stronger the wood.

What you want for a warbow is:
- a nice straight piece, 76-78" long
- a good contrast between sap and heartwood is always nice
- free of knots
- thin growth rings (30 rings per inch is a good starting point for a beginner)

You will want to scrape the back to one single growth ring, jus to be on the safe side. There is room for minor errors, and if you're uncertain about he bows back, it's best to back it with rawhide.

Maybe it's best to start with ash or elm. Or with yew backed with hickory. Other good combinations are:
-lemonwood (and other variants)-purpleheart-hickory
-ipe- hickory/bamboo
-osage-hickory

and many many others!

all the best,
Tom

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:18:06 pm »
You want High Elevation Yew....5000 foot or better....fine growth ring that are barely distinguishable....with no knots if possible...and as little Character as possible too...then you want to remove the Sapwood down to about 3/8" thick...try your best to follow one growth ring here....do it outside in the light...it is easier to see the rings out in Natural Sunlight....try your best to not violate this Growth Ring....but with Yew....it is not as traumatic as if you did the same to Osage.....Osage would have a Come-a-part if you violated it's back...yew is more forgiving of Boo-Boos....but still try to do it perfectly ....don't say thats close enough....try your best and you can get it done right

How many Bows have you built??? f you are unsure of yourself at this Point ....Yew is a serious undertaking...so if you don't think that you are ready yet.....may I suggest...a Hickory backed Elm or Ash Stave....with the Hickory Backing ....it not only adds strength to the Bows Back....it also looks just like Sapwood when glued to a wood that has some color to it....and lends itself to look like Yew....and these woods combined are really good performers too...hope that this Helped
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:13:13 pm »
thanks guys for all the great info...i was just wondering if the elevation is the key to tighter ringed yew.....and if 30 rings is good then my question is awnsered...thanks john

stevesjem

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:18:54 am »
Hi Blacktail, High altitude, slow grown alpine yew is probably the best, but hard to come by, ring counts of 60-100 rings to the inch are what i usually get, this will make an exceptional bow with high poundage for very little mass. But it's expensive.

Steve