Author Topic: Ash Molle Deflex/Recurve sinew backed, 59"ntn(otb) 51#@28" "MilkyWay"  (Read 6421 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

I made two sinew backed bows this winter. My firsts.
This floor tillered bow was sitting in the warm box almost 3 years. Finally I could motivate myself for a sinew backing.Also the recurves was some kind of first with boiling them with form in a big pot! Worked out (ok - not exactly symmetrical, but good enough) although didn't do this again as there are easier ways to do it.
Also heat treated,  and tapered cross section before sinewing. Very nice piece, no knots and very straight. Thought to make a bow for thump shooting with a draw of 30" at least, but the heat treated wood became so thin, I decided to go for a shorter draw.
The sinew covers only the back and not the tapered sides, which transforms to rectangular outwards.
The total flat belly turned convex as the sinew dried, so I guess the back is flat now and only the sinew creates the crown. So, this resulted in a very even thickness of wood. It also gained about 2" reflex - lost in tillering...The bow looks pretty much the same now like before sinewing.
So now she has 2" of backset which returns to 2 3/8" when resting.
It is bending just a tiny bit in the grip, which is Ishi inspired.
The levers are inspiried by Korean hornbows. I think they can be made in a very light construction but string alignment is not 100% so I didn't risk. And its fast enough anyway - don't have fps but its for sure one of my faster bows :OK
String bridges are made of buffalo horn - also the nocks.
The snake skin is a blue tree python. the white scales reminded me to the Milky Way - so she got her name. It was a hard job to dress her up as the skin had a pronounced ridge where the snakes spine was.
Handle is just wrapped with a soft buck skin leather.
Ok, enjoy the pics, at least I did - it was a hard pic.
As always, critics are also welcome - that's my first sinew bow and there is always something which could have been done better.

Offline Rowan Bows

damn what5 a great bow - simply awsome

Offline backtowood B2W

The draw is very nice. poundage rises about 3# per inch in the beginning of draw, around 2# in the take off from the strings from the bridges.

Offline backtowood B2W

Thank you rowan bows, yours are also very nice!!
but more to come

Offline backtowood B2W

The bow is up side down in this FD!!
Correct one is further down!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:49:03 am by backtowood B2W »

Offline superdav95

Holy molle!  What a nice bow.  Loves the lever design.  For you first sinew job I’d say you nailed it. Well done. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline scp

Impressive bows. Useful descriptions. Thanks.

Offline RyanY

Absolutely stunning all around!

Offline backtowood B2W

Thank you guys.
I just wanted to make her a new string of 452x and recognized the the leather strip was on the wrong side.
So that means the bow in the fd pic is up side down!! :o.
Sorry for that, I will make new ones when my boy come home...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Very nice detailed work on your bow.A lot of time devoted to this one and it shows.Good intermixing of styles.Good width on the inner limbs to maintain less set with power.
Your getting the mantra down right for a better efficient bow.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 07:34:53 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline smoke

What a great looking bow! The skins really set it off. Excellent work!!

Offline backtowood B2W

Very nice detailed work on your bow.A lot of time devoted to this one and it shows.Good intermixing of styles.Good width on the inner limbs to maintain less set with power.
Your getting the mantra down right for a better efficient bow.
Thank you Ed ,glad you like it! Width max. is 2 1/8", and tapers pyramidical to 1 5/16" at the shoulder.
Thank you smoke, I have another one like this and one rock python, time will tell when I will stick them to another sinew bow.
OK, FD - update this is the correct one, don't know how I could mess this up :fp
also a half draw pic when the string takes off. The brush nock like string bridge also works out as string holder - which is a nice feature and happened by accident - didn't plan this...
Ah and I found some older pics from the boiling set up and heat treatment. The HT set up is bit dangerous but worked out. An enclosed heater is for sure the saver way!!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:59:02 am by backtowood B2W »

Offline backtowood B2W

One thing I also forgot I made 3 layers of sinew of about 50 Gramm in total. and take off of the string at 17"
Total mass is 517Gramms. The new string is made like Simons make them - 452X - nice stuff, only 6 strands!
Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:54:26 am by backtowood B2W »

Offline Rowan Bows

this Idea is simply awsome. As I said awsome bow, never seen something like this before. The lever shape is so beautiful and I very curious about weight reducement to the levers. also ash has often the problem that the recurves go back again but this (Id like to say architectural genius strike) sure gives some sability. The grates point in design I think is the fish skin + the lever shape - man it looks like a sting ray. awsome job dude!!!

Offline diliviu

WOW!
Making a beautiful, perfectly tillered recurved sinew was boring for you, so you carved these unique recurves to have low mass And stability!
A bow more than words could praise.