Author Topic: Rabbit sqealing  (Read 10849 times)

Offline Kegan

Rabbit sqealing
« on: May 18, 2008, 12:16:10 am »
Been working on the back of the hand rabbit death call. Just wonderd what I could use it on? Weasels and bobcat I've been told, but anyhting else?

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Rabbit sqealing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:22:13 am »
I've been with my uncles and we've called in foxes and coyotes with a rabbit death call.     That sounds very morbid.
    Sean ;)
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:30:52 am »
It will work on about any predator.  I have used it on bobcat, coyote, fox, mountain lion, crows and believe it or not, it works on wild pigs. There are other calls that work better for specific animals, but a rabbit distress will work for all of them.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:01:01 pm »
I've called up several foxes, a bobcat, owls, and several other critters over the years by squeaking on the back of my hand. Back earlier this year, I called up a red fox to within fifteen-twenty feet or so of me and my friend Barry in broad daylight. It got so close that he started reaching for a rock.  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 04:26:55 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:21:55 pm »
Used to go varmint huntin at night with a blade of grass stretched between the thumbs for a rabbit in distress - saw lots of eyeballs :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 03:22:30 pm »
oh yes kegan try it on coyotes and fox here in Pa. watch bear will come in too, coyotes are very hard to kill here, weve killed two by trapping so far and my dad called one in, its rare though to callem in, but itll work for fox
Modern Day Tramp

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 04:43:35 pm »
How do you make the distress call on the back of the hand? Would like to try that.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 04:57:12 pm »
my dad does it but i cant get it down, but the blade of grass pulled taunt between your thumbs and blown on works welll, real well, its get real loud
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »
D. Tiller- Lick the back of your hand and wet your lips. Purse the front and place them agains the bac of your hand. Make "kissing" sound out the sides of your mouth, right around the fronts of your lips. Sounds just like a dying rabbit we heard before.

Foxes are my main "target". We don't have alot, so I wanted to see if I could call one in and get a good look at 'em. Don't want to shoot- just see. Good to know it's such a versatile call though, another trick in the archer's tool box ;D.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 09:36:57 pm »
Sometimes it'll call up a buttload of assorted little birds, too. Don't know why they're attracted to it, but they are.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 10:09:25 pm »
Steve, free carion! Those little birds wont shirk at a little rabbit for dinner.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

kdub

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:08:05 am »
I have often wondered if the grass whisteling technique could work for calling ducks.  Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 06:22:20 pm »
yeah it might theres different ways of distorting the sound or maybe it would work justas a high pitched squeal, never hunted ducks
Modern Day Tramp

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 06:49:06 pm »
when i used to hunt with my homade blowgun (7 feet of half inch pipe with foot long darts. pretty deadly) i used it to call in birdies, which i would stick and use for bait to trap coon, fox, and kyote. works pretty well.
lets just shoot it

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 08:24:26 pm »
the few times i tried hunting crows with a bow this year the dieing crow brought in not only crows but also the songbirds, they are attracted to anything
Modern Day Tramp