Author Topic: Starting a new ALB  (Read 5627 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Starting a new ALB
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2023, 09:49:42 pm »
Pat, well done. Tiller looks good to me too.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2023, 10:49:14 pm »
Thanks, guys. I shot 15 arrows today and she shoots well but has some hand shock. I think once I shape the limb tips it will smooth that out. I added tip overlays this afternoon so tomorrow I'l shape the tips. Then sanding and a few coats of Tru-Oil and a hemp cord handle wrap with a floppy rest.
 I am concerned about the knot that runs across the top limb about mid limb. I guess we'll see.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2023, 12:04:40 pm »
I narrowed the tips and added mahogany overlays(TBIII)...

..of course the dogs are doing what they like to do on a rainy day.

...and I added the leather handle overlay to fill out the back of the handle. Once the glue dries(TBIII)I'll shape it to the handle...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2023, 12:54:33 pm »
looking good so far, Pat. I dont blame you for having concern over that knot. Suckers will sneak up and nip you when you least expect it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2023, 01:17:37 pm »
Looks like a nice tiller Pat. Sometimes it’s nice having a bunch of half done stuff to switch things up and keep a person from getting impatient and doing something dumb on just one when patience is what is needed.

Yes often times the slow way is the quickest and most dependable way.

Bjrogg

PS Yeah that knot going all the way across is a little scary
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2023, 01:34:24 pm »
Pearlie, I guess I'm just waiting for something to happen with that knot. I'll be bringing this bow to the Classic so I'll give it a good workout there if not before.
 Thanks Brian. It feels good to just be building bows again. It's been a long dry spell for me the last few years.
The locust blank and hickory were given to me a few years ago so I wanted to give it a go no matter what the outcome is. The same guy gave me a lemonwood blank and hickory backing that made a great ALB. I was hoping the same for the locust even though I have bad luck with locust, always have.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2023, 09:30:38 am »
Nice build Pat. The tiller looks good also.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2023, 10:45:48 am »
Looks good Pat, can’t wait to see it and shoot it live . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline superdav95

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2023, 11:57:06 am »
Cool bow!  Great idea with the leather and glue.  Should be a neat look. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2023, 04:22:16 pm »
Thanks, Guys.
Pappy, hopefully by the time for the Classic I'll have 2 for you to shoot.
 Dave, I've done this for a few years now.It really makes the handle comfortable bu rounding off it back. Even with selfbows and their crowned backs it makes it more comfortable. I wet the leather first so it will soften enough to form over the back. Once the glue dries I carve the shape with a sharp knife and finish the shaping with a rasp and sandpaper. I saturate it with super glue sometimes but this time I just added Tru-Oil as I'm finishing the bow with it. Here is a pic of it with the Tru-Oil on it...

I put some medium brown Fiebings leather dye on the bow's back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2023, 12:33:08 pm »
Here is a side view of the handle area.

I'm on the 2nd coat of Tru-Oil. Once I get as few more coats around the handle I'll add the Floppy Rest then a hemp cord wrap on the handle. It's raining today so the Tru-Oil curing will be a bit slower.
Modify message

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2023, 11:37:50 pm »
Here goes the handle wrap.
 You have to be sure you wrap the cord the correct direction, going the way your fingers point. If you go the other direction the wrap can loosen over time.
 I start the wrap at the top of the handle ares, under the floppy rest for this bow. I lay the tag end along the back of the bow and wrap the cord over the tag...

...and wrap 10 or so wraps over the tag...

clip off the tag and continue on...

When you get near the bottom of the handle lay a separate loop down ans wrap over it...

once you get to the bottom of the handle cut the cord and stick the end through the loop and pull the end of the cord through under the wrap and pull tight then clip the excess cord...

...after the handle wrap is complete I like to singe the loose threads that stick out with a cigarette lighter. I didn't take a pic of this.

Now, get the Massey finish ready to saturate the cord wrap. These are what you need to do this...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2023, 11:48:29 pm »
I guess I forgot to show the Floppy rest glued to the handle. I grip the handle with my middle finger at the center(balance point for a symmetrical bow) and make a pencil mark right at the top of my hand. This is where the rest of the floppy rests goes. I use contact cement on the bow and the rest...

I use a sharp razor to bevel the portion that is under the wrap so it allows the wrap to be smooth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2023, 11:00:20 am »
Here is my process for saturating the cord wrap handle. I use 2 paper towels folded and rolled up for the applicator...

then I put a wad of 2ton epoxy in a clean container and mix it well...

then pour about 1/3 of this container with acetone and mix it until the epoxy dissolves...

..and use the rolled paper towel applicator to saturate the cord on the handle. I use as much as it will take...

once the wrap is saturated it time to wait for the acetone to evaporate and the epoxy to cure. I don't use any particular recipe. It really doesn't seem to matter for this application.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2023, 11:39:08 am »
Looks great.  I’m gonna have to try this out.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com