Author Topic: black locust flatbow build  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Zugul

black locust flatbow build
« on: October 14, 2022, 12:25:19 pm »
So, I've started this new project after srewing up a cuple of bows in the last year. All the bows I have mede to this day fretted or came out very low poundage. My goal with this one is to get 40-45# at 28" with low enough set and no frets, hopefully. Since I'm not very experienced I opted for a safe design: 68 1/2" TTT, 67" NTN, 2" wide at fades and 5/8" at the tips. I've made some tweeks to its shape with a heat gun since it was a bit out of alignement and had some twist where the grain flowed around a knot. I could not take off all the twist so should I leave the side where the belly "dips" a bit thicker to avoid the wood getting pinched or not? I've used my fingers to gauge the thickness taper until now, in the future I'll switch to a caliper and try to make it as even as possible. should I leave a little extra wood where there are bumps on the back to avoid the belly getting pinched or do I have to chase the perfect thickness taper? I want to take it super slowly with this stave since I don't have meny left, and this is the best one  :BB Feel free to make constructive criticism about my work, I know it's far from being perfect and I'm willing to learn  ;). Wish you all a good weekend and a lot of good bows!

before straightening
20220906_103808 by Mattia Zuccolo, su Flickr

after straightening
20221014_171715 by Mattia Zuccolo, su Flickr

how the twisty part appeared before, now the twist is approximatly half as much
20220906_103712 by Mattia Zuccolo, su Flickr

same spot, viewed frontally
20220906_103743 by Mattia Zuccolo, su Flickr

on the tillering tree, the string is loose and hanging just shy of the 6" mark (top limb on the left)
arco a riposo by Mattia Zuccolo, su Flickr

now the bow is drawn, 40# at the 15" mark. I felt pretty confident since I spent a cuple hours to get a decent thickness taper, scraping all the obviuos thick spots I encountered.
arco teso by Mattia Zuccolo, su Flickr

Offline M2A

Re: black locust flatbow build
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 08:04:19 am »
I'd try to keep that area working just as much as the rest of the limb. Its tricky and better a bit too stiff than creating a hinge by accident. I think your tiller looks good so far. Are you going to heat treat and add some reflex? or leave as is? I think your dimensions are good for 45+ lbs easy. You could trap the back later in tillering, to take some stress off the belly wood. I do that at about 20" when tillering out to 28".
Mike     

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 10:43:29 am »
The belly should reflect what the back does. So if there is a hill on the back the belly should follow it with the wood doing an equal amount of work. It looks like you've done that perhaps inadvertently?

The only leaving extra wood is needed is if there is a knot involved. Then leave extra wood on the width letting the knot swirl.

The tiller loks lood.

Watch mid limb and on to the nocks it does need to come around later on in the tillering.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Zugul

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 11:20:22 am »
Are you going to heat treat and add some reflex? or leave as is? I think your dimensions are good for 45+ lbs easy. You could trap the back later in tillering, to take some stress off the belly wood. I do that at about 20" when tillering out to 28".
Mike     

I was thinking not to heat treat the bow because heating it again could make the parts I've bent return to their original shape, changing the string alignement. If I'll do it anyway I won't put in reflex but heat treat it straight, a section at a time with a heatgun, having 2 or 3 C clamps per side to ensure it won't chage shape... Could this be a good idea? I've never trapped a bow, but in theory I know how it's done. The only information I'm missing is what's the correct angle at wich you should srape material from the corners of the back of the bow. I'd say about 45° shoud be allright, correct?

The belly should reflect what the back does. So if there is a hill on the back the belly should follow it with the wood doing an equal amount of work. It looks like you've done that perhaps inadvertently?

I did it simply laying out on the sides of the bow a line with a caliper, 13 mm thick from the corner of the back so I would have a reference and avoid getting one side thicker then the other. Then I scraped the belly very close to those lines, leaving it a bit round in the areas where I was not sure how to proceed.

The only leaving extra wood is needed is if there is a knot involved. Then leave extra wood on the width letting the knot swirl.

there's only a very small pin knot right at mid bottom limb, I left 1/8" extra width there to be sure.

The tiller loks lood.

Watch mid limb and on to the nocks it does need to come around later on in the tillering.

Jawge

so should I leave those parts a bit stiff for now and work them later or should I make them come around a bit more?

anyway, thanks guys for your imput, I'm really glad I'm going in the right direction  :BB
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 12:14:20 pm by Zugul »

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 07:03:18 pm »
I was talking about the belly in relation to the back. What the back does the belly does also to make the thickness constant. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline M2A

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 10:13:14 pm »
Correct Zugul heat treating could reverse the corrections you made. I usually try and make string adjustments when I heat treat. If you have it clamped you should be ok. Nothing worse than watching the wood move back to how it started :)

I have never thought of trapping as an angle but as distance. But I guess I do a 45 degree angle because I trap each side 1/8" taske the corners down the same. I took a few pics on a stave thats roughed out so Ill try and explain best I can.  First I mark out the back of the stave with line 1/8" from the corner.
IMG_5132 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
I put a few measured marks but draw the line with my fingers as the gauge. 1/8" each side has worked fine for me but could go a bit more I suppose.   
IMG_5133 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Then I do the same down each side measuring from the back of the stave.
IMG_5134 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Finished thickness of your bow may only be about 5/16"(8mm) or less at the sides so I would not recommend going any deeper than 1/8" here.
Then remove the wood at he corners to the lines. No need to trap out to the tips, tapper the trapping out when you have about 3/4" width in limb.
Hope I explained that correct. Just some food for thought. I'd tiller it out to at least 20" before considering trapping. Thats just how I do it.
Mike     

Offline Zugul

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 06:04:53 am »
M2A you'v been chrystal clear! Unfortunatly I normally got chrysals before getting to 20" draw so trapping won't help me in that regard. I guess it happened for a cuple of reasons: I did not put a lot of effort in getting a good thickness taper from the get go, the bows were shorter and less wide, the wood was pretty low quality and overall I rushed a bit too much.
Now, I have a few doubts about heat treating. For me the most convinient way to do it would be with a heatgun, but from what I've seen and heard using a fire pit should give better results because the wood gets toasted more deeply. How slow should I go to get a similar depth with a heatgun? I've tried to heat treat my last bow, but the colour change reached maybe 1 mm (0.04"), a bit too shallow to make a significant difference. Also, if I heat treat too soon, the harder layer of wood will get scraped away during tillering, so I guess it should be done in the final part of the process, maybe at 22-24" for a 28" final draw lenght, correct?
one more thing,at this point should I keep the belly perfectly flat or should I take off the corners first to get a more lenticular cross section (middle of the belly 1/16" to 3/32" higher then the sides) and flatten it out when I get closer to the final draw lenght?

I was talking about the belly in relation to the back. What the back does the belly does also to make the thickness constant. Jawge

So the difference in strain the portion of the belly a few mm deeper is not going to be relevant if the thickness of the wood in that point respects the thickness taper, right?
sorry if these seem pretty obvious observations but if I don't understand perfectly how the things should be done and why they have to be done like that, I'm going to screw up again and again  (lol)

Thank you for your patience!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 06:11:33 am by Zugul »

Online superdav95

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 12:39:01 am »
Zugul. 

As for heat treatment I would clamp the bow to a form to a slight reflex and slow bake over coals using a pit method.  You can achieve  very similar results using a heat gun too.  I’ve done this myself a number of times in the winter months when my fire pit was covered in snow.  I build a stand for my heat gun that positions the gun over top of the belly of the bow about 3-4”.  I usually start at the fade of one side and just move the gun along every 4-5 mins on high setting.  It may vary in time depending on your gun and heat output.  I think mines a dewalt make it it helps.  This gets you a deep heat treatment and jay move it along 2” or so.  Try a build your gun support to trap most of the heat to the belly and avoid the heat getting around to the back.  I go about 4 mins or so check it for depth then move it couple inches and this gives me a cook that goes little over half way thru the limb.  I do prefer to use the hot coals method as I can do 4 bows at once and don’t have to move the gun every 4-5 mins.  I’ve also done this repeated 2 times on bows with good results if I felt it didn’t go as deep as I liked.  I also applied pine pitch while still hot on one of my bow once as demonstrated by Marc St. Louis.  He has a good video showing this.  I found that  It seals and locks in the hydrophobic nature of heat treated white wood. Just food for thought.    Here’s a pic of my gun support I used if it helps. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Aksel

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 03:53:07 am »
Wood source?

I have never worked with black locust but I hear it frets easy. Is this stave from the same source as those other bows you "screwed up"? Sometimes you simply hit a bad tree and make staves from it and then they all cause the same problem..

design.

You make this longer and wider which is good.

Tillering method.

If you made a few attempts previously and they all fret in similar ways you need to change something in what you are doing.
If there are knots or minor bumps on the back I usually leave the belly flat and let the back compensate with extra thickness. That works with elm at least.
When I am working a stave I really don´t want to mess up, I go very slow. In between rasping and checking the tiller, I sand it or scrape every part of the limbs smooth and make it look like a nice bow at all times. It might sound stupid but it helps me to stay focused and go slow. After floor tillering to a VERY nice bend at what seems like a good draw weight (compare flexing the limbs against the floor with other bows) and sand it I pull it to brace height 20-30 times on a long string and check the reflection in a window. When that is perfect I let it sit braced for a while to see if it takes any set at all. If I go this slow and careful to brace height I usually won´t have much more work to do to get it to full draw. This is really key in my experience, to get it to perfect brace height with no set. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 08:55:21 am by Aksel »
Stoneagebows

Offline M2A

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 07:33:14 am »
Lot of good info from Superdave and Askel. So Ill try and not repeat all they said ... Its not practical for me to heat treat with a fire pit so I have used a heat gun for eavery bl bow I have posted here. I mark the limb off in 6" lenghts. Then work each 6" section for about 5 min to get the color I want, heavier(better) locust maybe a bit longer, lighter wood a bit shorter time. This is about half the time I would do for white woods such as hickory or elm. The color Superdave has is about my goal. My new heat gun has digital settings, so I set it at 850 deg F.  Its discussed in older topics but I believe the heat treatment workes deeper than the color change, just my thoughts on that. But you could do that at 24" inches on the tiller. Because you already have tip overlays glued on I'd stay away from the tips about 8" or so to not degrade the glue joint. Just my thoughts if you decided to heat treat.

I think the problem most encounter fretting with bl is because they use dimensions too short or too narrow or both. I think at 68.5"x2" is good for what your after, to be successful. I also try and keep the belly flat as I go when its on the tiller tree. Make yourself a tillering gizmo, helped me alot to find the stiff spots. Although it will not work well around that 1 area your questioning.

Take your time. Sounds like you have learned from your past experiences and are going to make this one work. and best of luck.
Mike

Offline bassman211

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 09:54:29 am »
Like any other wood not all Bl is equal. I failed with the first 4 attempts with one Bl log that I cut. Bad wood. Either the back would crack ,or the belly would fret. Last 4 bows was a good thick ringed log, and all were successful bows that are still shooting  fine using the same method. I chased a good heart wood ring, and trapped the back. Floor tillered it. Put it on a 4 inch reflex form, and heat treated the belly. Got every thing lined up. Then tillered carefully. I sinew backed a couple as they were 48 to 50 inch horse bows with 25 and 26 inch draw. All the bows were in the 40 to 50 lb range, and from 48 to 62 inches long. That is my limited experience with Bl. Like any other bow it all starts with at least a decent piece of wood. Guys who sale bows on the Primtive forum use primo staves, and the cost goes to the buyer. Good building, and hunting.

Offline Zugul

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 02:33:09 pm »
Zugul. 

As for heat treatment I would clamp the bow to a form to a slight reflex and slow bake over coals using a pit method.  You can achieve  very similar results using a heat gun too.  I’ve done this myself a number of times in the winter months when my fire pit was covered in snow.  I build a stand for my heat gun that positions the gun over top of the belly of the bow about 3-4”.  I usually start at the fade of one side and just move the gun along every 4-5 mins on high setting.  It may vary in time depending on your gun and heat output.  I think mines a dewalt make it it helps.  This gets you a deep heat treatment and jay move it along 2” or so.  Try a build your gun support to trap most of the heat to the belly and avoid the heat getting around to the back.  I go about 4 mins or so check it for depth then move it couple inches and this gives me a cook that goes little over half way thru the limb.  I do prefer to use the hot coals method as I can do 4 bows at once and don’t have to move the gun every 4-5 mins.  I’ve also done this repeated 2 times on bows with good results if I felt it didn’t go as deep as I liked.  I also applied pine pitch while still hot on one of my bow once as demonstrated by Marc St. Louis.  He has a good video showing this.  I found that  It seals and locks in the hydrophobic nature of heat treated white wood. Just food for thought.    Here’s a pic of my gun support I used if it helps. 

If I'll heat treat it I'm going to go with the heat gun method, and will for sure build a stand for it since it's pretty boring to keep it by hand, ahah. I will also cut some long, very thin wood strips to clamp to the sides of the bow, as "heat shields", in this way the sides and the back of the stave should be fine. I could go for a touch of teflex, between one and two inches if I think the bow is bending very well and I'm feeling brave  (lol). I don't have pine pitch, could some bees wax do the trick?

Wood source?

I have never worked with black locust but I hear it frets easy. Is this stave from the same source as those other bows you "screwed up"? Sometimes you simply hit a bad tree and make staves from it and then they all cause the same problem..

This stave came from a different tree harvested from the same property of the ones that fretted, but it has a very different colour and "texture": the previous ones responded in a very strange way at being scraped or sanded, leaving thread-like fibers when worked upon with a scraper or sandpaper. They had a very light colour and some dark streaks too. I do still have one stave from that tree, but I decided to leave it even if it was already roughed out.
here's a comparison pic of the woods
20221017_173852 by Mattia Zuccolo, su Flickr

Tillering method.

If you made a few attempts previously and they all fret in similar ways you need to change something in what you are doing.
If there are knots or minor bumps on the back I usually leave the belly flat and let the back compensate with extra thickness. That works with elm at least.
When I am working a stave I really don´t want to mess up, I go very slow. In between rasping and checking the tiller, I sand it or scrape every part of the limbs smooth and make it look like a nice bow at all times. It might sound stupid but it helps me to stay focused and go slow. After floor tillering to a VERY nice bend at what seems like a good draw weight (compare flexing the limbs against the floor with other bows) and sand it I pull it to brace height 20-30 times on a long string and check the reflection in a window. When that is perfect I let it sit braced for a while to see if it takes any set at all. If I go this slow and careful to brace height I usually won´t have much more work to do to get it to full draw. This is really key in my experience, to get it to perfect brace height with no set. Good luck!

In my previous attempts I layed out the front profile, roughed it out, thinned the stave without taking measurements or spending some time feeling with my fingers for a good thickness taper and I just started floor tillering it. Now I reckon only people with a lot of experience can eyeball the thickness taper and get it right from the get go, so mine was an error dictated by inexperience and impatience. I will leave the belly flat through out the tillering process and to be extra safe I won't use rasps or drawknives on the limbs from this point, so I'll take it very slowly to complensate my inexperience. for the tillering method I'm going to use the long string until I reach at least 18" of effective draw, then I'll think about shortening it to brace the bow. for that time I should be able to get the limbs bending evenly, I hope!  :D

Lot of good info from Superdave and Askel. So Ill try and not repeat all they said ... Its not practical for me to heat treat with a fire pit so I have used a heat gun for eavery bl bow I have posted here. I mark the limb off in 6" lenghts. Then work each 6" section for about 5 min to get the color I want, heavier(better) locust maybe a bit longer, lighter wood a bit shorter time. This is about half the time I would do for white woods such as hickory or elm. The color Superdave has is about my goal. My new heat gun has digital settings, so I set it at 850 deg F.  Its discussed in older topics but I believe the heat treatment workes deeper than the color change, just my thoughts on that. But you could do that at 24" inches on the tiller. Because you already have tip overlays glued on I'd stay away from the tips about 8" or so to not degrade the glue joint. Just my thoughts if you decided to heat treat.

I think the problem most encounter fretting with bl is because they use dimensions too short or too narrow or both. I think at 68.5"x2" is good for what your after, to be successful. I also try and keep the belly flat as I go when its on the tiller tree. Make yourself a tillering gizmo, helped me alot to find the stiff spots. Although it will not work well around that 1 area your questioning.

Take your time. Sounds like you have learned from your past experiences and are going to make this one work. and best of luck.
Mike

Normally how close to the belly do you get with the heatgun? mine only has 2 settings, 660 F° and 1020 F° so I think I should put it on high and keep it further away then you to get a similar result. I do have a tillering gizmo, but this stave is not as straight as it seems so I'm scared to screw it up if I use it... To help me see the bend I'm using aaron's method, from this topic: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=36145.0 maybe it won't be as precise, but it should allow me to see a hinge forming way before my untrained eye. in this way I should also be able to monitor set as it developes and avoid scraping those areas too much.

Like any other wood not all Bl is equal. I failed with the first 4 attempts with one Bl log that I cut. Bad wood. Either the back would crack ,or the belly would fret. Last 4 bows was a good thick ringed log, and all were successful bows that are still shooting  fine using the same method. I chased a good heart wood ring, and trapped the back. Floor tillered it. Put it on a 4 inch reflex form, and heat treated the belly. Got every thing lined up. Then tillered carefully. I sinew backed a couple as they were 48 to 50 inch horse bows with 25 and 26 inch draw. All the bows were in the 40 to 50 lb range, and from 48 to 62 inches long. That is my limited experience with Bl. Like any other bow it all starts with at least a decent piece of wood. Guys who sale bows on the Primtive forum use primo staves, and the cost goes to the buyer. Good building, and hunting.

in my very limited BL experience, the thick ringed wood I harvested was the bad one, while the thin ringed behaved better! Wood is some strange stuff!  (lol)
thanks again for all your advice, you guys are awesome!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 02:58:31 pm »
Correct, Zugol; you need to respect the thickness taper which why the belly and back should be in sync.  Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Aksel

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 04:13:32 am »

In my previous attempts I layed out the front profile, roughed it out, thinned the stave without taking measurements or spending some time feeling with my fingers for a good thickness taper and I just started floor tillering it. Now I reckon only people with a lot of experience can eyeball the thickness taper and get it right from the get go, so mine was an error dictated by inexperience and impatience. I will leave the belly flat through out the tillering process and to be extra safe I won't use rasps or drawknives on the limbs from this point, so I'll take it very slowly to complensate my inexperience. for the tillering method I'm going to use the long string until I reach at least 18" of effective draw, then I'll think about shortening it to brace the bow. for that time I should be able to get the limbs bending evenly, I hope!  :D

BL has fairly visible grain, right? Use that as your guide to remove wood evenly. Let the grain "feather out" towards the nocks. That will ensure you get the thickness tapering out roughly in a correct way and then you can use calipers or as I do, use your fingers to feel where stiff spots are. Make sure you have a good even thinkness taper on both limbs before you put it on the tree.. It is tempting to pull it too far. You can really do a lot of work at floor tillering stage.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 02:20:59 pm by Aksel »
Stoneagebows

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2022, 12:11:22 pm »
Can’t offer any advice but, I wish you luck and hope this turns into the bow your hoping for..