Author Topic: Some beadwork  (Read 4704 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Some beadwork
« on: November 03, 2022, 08:17:24 am »
Finished up on some pieces of beadwork.A 4" square and a 4" rosette piece.
Demostrating the four directions colors.Yellow to the east.Red to the west.Green to the south.White to the north.
I used #11 seed beads.Cobalt,ponytrader,crow pale blues.Greasy yellows.Siouw greens.Reds.and whites.
A little crowded in some places but it'll have to do.
I will sew these to a large brain tanned shirt in the future.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 08:21:24 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stoker

Re: Some beadwork
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 09:58:04 am »
Looking good. They'll be great on a shirt
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 10:26:00 am »
Very nice beadwork, Ed. Can you suggest a how to book on doing beadwork? I've had different folks try to explain the different stitches to me but I do better with pics or personal instructions that the spoken word.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 08:00:38 pm »
Sure....These books [not very expensive] besides the techniques shown will give you ideas for designs also.One of the other reasons why I bought them.The more you investigate the more ideas you'll get with more books.Sharps needles/nymo thread and wax/ and beads can be gotten from suppliers.
A person if wanting to get into this should read on the history native american beadwork eastern and western.Mostly lazy stitched geometric designs western and more applique floral designs eastern.Books on native culture and beliefs help too.Understanding where this all comes from.
Good lighting and good eyes are needed.Brain tan is the best material to do this on.It's done on other materials too but brain tan is the best.Satisfying hobby if your into it.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 09:15:47 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 08:16:24 pm »
You will see no stitching showing through the leather with the siouw or squaw lazy stitch.Some is showing through using the applique stitch or in line stitch in the center of the rosette which is normal.The bands will become too pinched to lazy stitch clear to the center of rosette.The rest is siouw lazy stitched.The siouw lazy stitch is preferred by me brcause it is faster for me to do.
2 ways of doing rosettes applique or lazy stitched.Both type stitched rosettes take more advanced experience.
An example of an appliqued stitched rosette.Beads are wrapped in a circle and stitched down every 3 to 4 beads going through the leather.It will never show because the item is sewn onto a garment such as this buffalo mounty styled hat.

A smaller spaced stitch is needed on the inner circle than the outer circle using the siouw lazy stitch.All lines of bands need to point to the center.Stitches showing through in center of rosette here.
Square projects need the same length stitch on each end of the bands.Easier to do.

Applique stitching can be done not going through too.This takes a lot of back stitching never going through.

It can be done many ways.It's all up to choice/technique/and experience.
I think one of those books show different types of edging also.One shown here on this hooped brain tan piece and the front edge of the bill on the buffalo hat which is a wrapped edge technique.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:53:41 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 10:55:52 pm »
Thanks, Ed. I'll look up these books...and thanks for the explanations. Very nice beadwork.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 01:11:21 am »
OK Pat..Your welcome.
BowEd
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 03:59:50 am »
Thanks for shareing Ed - enjoy Your work Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 07:57:56 am »
Thanks Bob.
I've got plenty of brain tan to use now from last summers' work.It takes a bit of inspiration to push me over the edge nowadays to do projects.
I'm consolting with a wizard of a quill worker from Germany to get started with that sometime.His work is just outstanding and I would call it art myself.
A person can do a combination of beadwork and quill work on a piece also.Just beautiful really.Both crafts help a person get more articulate with more experience.
I've boughten a book reccommended by him to help.

Picture on book design not too far of from my beadwork on these moccassins.It's called a key hole design.
Made this to kinda represent a sun flower.

A side note....A fella wanted to trade me a static recurve osage even over for this pair of mocs.I declined the offer as I make recurves myself.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 03:54:30 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Chumash

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 08:51:49 am »
Really fine work, congrats!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 03:50:08 pm »
Thanks...Never met ya but I'm sure we could make some bows/shoot some arrows/and swap hunting stories a while.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 06:59:28 pm »
Nice work, Ed!  A great selection of books and patterns.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 10:29:06 pm »
Another piece.Measures 3" by 3".Still plenty of need for improvement here.I tried to depict a mountain with the 4 winds acrossed it.

Ponytrader,cobalt,and crow pale blues as backgrounds and reds for crosses.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 07:14:23 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Chumash

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 03:09:17 pm »
You do really great stuff, especially the leatherwork and also the beadwork (my fingers are just too thick, too stiff and too old, I realized after my first attempt!).

The rest sounds tempting and you are always invited to my place if you ever come to Germany....

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 04:52:05 am »
There's a fella in your country of Germany who calls himself Michael Bootz that does far better bead and quill work than me.An artist.

I knew a fella here in the states that I'd talk to at rendezvous's by the name of Jerry Stainbrook.[deceased now].A retired navy veteran. A bead worker also.Fastest beader I've ever seen.He would get paid by the inch.Fantastic scrimshaw artist also,but would wear magnifying goggles to do articulate work.
I don't mean to be contrary but he had a lot thicker fingers than mine.
He did not brain tan and was constantly after me for scrap brain tan pieces.We did a fair amount of trading.
BowEd
Ed