Author Topic: arrow heads from sawblades?  (Read 7277 times)

radius

arrow heads from sawblades?
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:43:35 am »
Hi,

I cut out a few knife blanks from an old 10" circular saw blade I had laying around.  The teeth were 1/8", but the blade itself was more like 1/16"...there is plenty left...not big enough for knives...is this too big and fat for arrowheads?  Too heavy? 

If I do use them, what size should they be?  I'll be shooting from a 60#bow or so...and making them as trade points to epoxy/tie into a slot at the tip of the arrow...

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: arrow heads from sawblades?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:27:41 am »
Here are a few I am working on.

The big points are 1 1/4" wide, and 3" long including the 1/2" tang.  They weigh in at about 190 grains.  The top poins are 1 1/8" wide and 3" long and weight about 160 grains.  They came from a tablesaw blade.  The points on the left are from an old hand saw blade.  They are 1" wide, and 3" inches long and close to 135 grains.  I tried three times to lower the temper to drill the holes, but could not do it.  I ended up using an old bit and pulling down on the drill press handle until the bit turned red hot and literally puched the holes in them.  This is some tough steel.  I am planning on using some of it for a fillet knife or two and maybe a pocket knife blade.  Nugget, they are almost done, I haven't forgotten about you.  I hope this helps.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:26:32 pm »
Here are some I made from circular saw blade. Weigh about 150 grains.

Madcrow- I've been wondering about buying some handsaws and just using them for points. What kind of had saw blades work?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:04:07 pm »
I have found that circular saw blades don't really keep an edge very well. What you want are the giant bandsaw blades.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:17:29 pm »
Circular saw blades make good broadheads.But Sean is right,they are not all created equal.Some will not hold an edge, but some will.You just have to experiment.When I cut mine out on a chopsaw,the steel that cuts cleanly,will usually hold a good sharp edge.On the other hand,the blade that leaves "flags" as you cut,is usually inferior.Most of my points range from 150-175 grains,and are about 1.25" wide,and a little over 2 " long,with a 3/4" tang.Hope this helps.  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 03:18:27 pm »
I have found that circular saw blades don't really keep an edge very well. What you want are the giant bandsaw blades.
    Sean

I'll second that one. I've made some points of bandsaw that were better than Zwickeys for toughness. Circular saw needs care and resharpenning.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 12:17:08 am »
....yyeeaahh, just dont send none of them screamin down south, i dont wanna get the things pulled out of me. looks good dude.
lets just shoot it

Offline Butch Speer

• St. Clair Mo.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 10:26:08 pm »
A lot of times, table saw blades that have carbide insert teeth, use a mild steel body. Look for saw blades that have just plain teeth cut into the body. These can even be tempered.

Butch
God Bless
Butch
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 05:09:23 am »
Kegan, I usually check yard sales and auctions.  I look for old hand saw blades.  The steel is thinner and harder.  I have not tried any of the newer blades. 
1/2 primitive, as far as the circular saw blades, I try to get the non carbon tipped blades and I usually heat treat and temper them to around RC 55 or so.  They hold an egde good and can be sharpened with a small file or a slow grinding wheel.  Also, if you can find some of the industrial grade sawblades that alot of construction crews use, they already have a high temper.