Author Topic: Hickory bow build.  (Read 19778 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Hickory bow build.
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2023, 09:57:00 pm »
Looks great Dave. Sounds like it’s going to a good home.   :)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2023, 09:39:27 am »
Can’t wait to see this bow finished. That looks like a screamer.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Will B

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2023, 05:42:19 pm »
Great build along. The sinew looks really nice!  Should be interesting stringing it initially with all that reflex. Thanks for taking us along with the photos, video and description.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2023, 07:46:17 pm »
Great build along. The sinew looks really nice!  Should be interesting stringing it initially with all that reflex. Thanks for taking us along with the photos, video and description.

Thanks guys.  Lookin forward to getting this bending and tillered up.  It will need a stringer for sure I think.  I’ve strung them up with push pull method before but it wasn’t pretty.  I’ll see about getting a stringer made up to go with it if the bow retains 7” or more of it reflex.  It may not be too bad.  I may also use string bridges at the general area of the apex of the recurves.  This will help with getting it strung up I think and not slipping the string so easily.  I’ll post updates in a week or so.  Thanks for following along. 

Cheers.

Dave
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2023, 08:07:54 pm »
Here’s some pic updates next day after dried up a bit.  Color looks really good and solid.  I saved the longest bundles for one continuous layer on each limb. Hard to tell from the pics but it layed down nice.  I ended the sinew pretty well right at the bend. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2023, 08:10:37 pm »
Good tip alignment too.  That’s always the worry with these sinewed bows is keeping the tips in line.  I got luck here.  I put a straight board across the bend at the tips to keep them straight while drying up sinew.  Works pretty good. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2023, 08:14:12 pm »
Here’s where I suspect I’ll cut in the shelf and how I’ll shape the handle up.  My recipient likes this style handle so why not give him what he likes! I will likley leave the shelf bare for him to dress how he wishes.  It will be rounded as shown in pencil. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2023, 08:16:44 pm »
Here’s where I plan to put the string bridges if I go that route.  I’ll cover with leather too.  Here’s a few pics of what they will be similar to. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2023, 03:32:03 pm »
Looking very good. I really appreciate neat and clean workmanship. Ever considered the Grumley Deerslayer style bridges?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline barebo

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2023, 07:38:36 pm »
I've built just over 80 bows - no glass - staves all natural and some flat sawn with bamboo or other backings. They were all pretty good serviceable bows. Had 2 break and made replacements of course. Now, upon seeing the amount of technique's you've implemented to move this stave into a rocket launcher puts me in 3rd grade at the hands of a college professor!
I'm in awe after being "out of the loop" for some time now, how the art of bow building has advanced. I'd sure love to be able to actually put my hands on this one after you have it finished to simply nock an arrow and let it fly. Amazing, and Pearldrums is spot on, the meticulous attention to detail is evident and reflected in the bow. Wow!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2023, 10:48:46 pm »
Looking very good. I really appreciate neat and clean workmanship. Ever considered the Grumley Deerslayer style bridges?

Thankyou pearl drums.!   I’ve seen some pics of these Grumley deer slayer bridges.  They are gorgeous actually.  I may have to try them on another build.  For this build I’m thinking more of keeping mass at a minimum for speed.  Thanks for following along
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 11:00:38 pm by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2023, 10:59:05 pm »
I've built just over 80 bows - no glass - staves all natural and some flat sawn with bamboo or other backings. They were all pretty good serviceable bows. Had 2 break and made replacements of course. Now, upon seeing the amount of technique's you've implemented to move this stave into a rocket launcher puts me in 3rd grade at the hands of a college professor!
I'm in awe after being "out of the loop" for some time now, how the art of bow building has advanced. I'd sure love to be able to actually put my hands on this one after you have it finished to simply nock an arrow and let it fly. Amazing, and Pearldrums is spot on, the meticulous attention to detail is evident and reflected in the bow. Wow!

Wow!  What a great compliment.  Thankyou very much.  It’s very nice of you to say this.  I’m sure hopeful this bow performs well.   I’d say you are doing well to only break 2 bows.  I’ve broken several unfortunately.  Mostly for testing purposes to push to the limits.  Natural materials often get a bad wrap as far as performance is concerned.  Many on here have proved and continue to prove that natural material bows are every bit as fast and high performers as the fg bows out there.  I’ve had the bug for a bit now and love experimenting with natural bows.  This bow will likley be tested for speed as a flight bow if I can get it to the specs requested.  Fingers crossed.  Thanks for following along.  Cheers. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 12:30:00 am by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2023, 09:10:16 pm »
Yes still watching this close. It’s beauty also. Heck I’d like to test one of your bows!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2023, 09:52:05 pm »
Yes still watching this close. It’s beauty also. Heck I’d like to test one of your bows!

Thanks Arvin.  You may indeed be testing this one if it survives tiller.  I’ll speed test it on my own here before I send it out.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2023, 08:07:19 am »
That is a beauty, coming along very nice.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good