Author Topic: 51 lb hickory @ 27"  (Read 2272 times)

Offline M2A

51 lb hickory @ 27"
« on: March 30, 2023, 01:06:39 am »
Hi Folks. Been working on this one for a while on and off this winter. Ill post the pictures in the post below and keep this one for the words in case you want to skip over. Stave came from some of the nicest hickory I may ever come across. Friday the 13th of March 2020. Same day the state shut down for covid.   So I call those staves my Friday the 13th stash. A local tree cutter dropped it off at the firewood processor the day he cut it. After a few days working on things by myself, and with the schools all shut down I enlisted the help of my boys because I was running out of steam being a farm hand with the growing season soon coming they needed that special father son bonding experience. They were great and I enjoyed their help in more ways than one.

When the stave allows my favorite style to build is eastern woodland type bows with scalloped bows on the top of the list. This one was pretty good so figured I try a double scallop. I heat treat with a heat gun on a form and stop when I get a dark enough color. This piece of wood took more heat than any piece of wood I have done before. An average piece of locust takes about 5 min per 6 inches, while hickory is usually around 14 min for 6 inches, this piece took 18 min. So it was over an hour a limb! There is some dark streaks about 1/4" below the back from some damage, a dead knot or wound near but not in the piece of wood. Not the first time I came across this and it doesn't seem to affect things. Slight twist but not enough to worry about and slight sideways bow to the whole piece, so that helps put the arrow a little closer to the side. Doubt you can see that in the pictures. Also a small snake at the top of the top limb that maybe I should have handled a bit different. I thought it would look cool but looks more like I screwed it up. lol

Sometimes I like to keep things plain but dont have no problems getting fancy when given the oppertunity. Maybe the next one like this I make ill try some modern paints but for now Ill stick with keeping things as natural/primitive as fits my thoughts. Bloodwood, walnut hulls, rock powder and copper chelate(ok not primitive but very water soluble). While the handle has some silk thread accents around some milkweed cordage I spent several hours twisting up to get the 10 ft I needed. That in it self held this whole project up a few weeks because I didnt feel like taking the time to make the cordage.

Bow is 60" ntn and 51 lbs @ 27". Put a little reflex in the outer limbs and please it held. Good cast and a fun bow to shoot. Overall pretty happy with how it turned out. Pics seem to show the colors a bit funky in some of them. I'll have to work on that in the future. Maybe taking the pics in a wooded area was not the best choice but didnt think it correct to have a cider block or steel siding backgroud was right.  Thanks for your time.
Mike                         

Offline M2A

Re: 51 lb hickory @ 27"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 01:15:15 am »

Offline Aksel

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 05:33:11 am »
Super nice primitve looking bow. I am glad you stuck to natural pigments painting it.  :OK
Stoneagebows

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 07:32:06 am »
Very nice work, tiller looks great along with all the finish work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 08:20:34 am »
That is a very nice bow.  I think you have that style mastered. I never get tired of looking at those bendy scalloped bows.

Phillip King

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 08:50:06 am »
 :BB 8)

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 08:52:52 am »
Very nice bow. Great tiller. Really like the paint job.

Offline Will B

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 09:50:45 am »
Great bend on that bow, Mike. I really like the scallops and the paint job as well.  I’ve had hickory that seemed to take forever to turn color. They seem to make very hard-hitting durable bows. Very nice work!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 10:07:16 am »
Nice bend Mike.

Glad you got her finished up before you got to busy. I’m guessing you have apple trees to trim now.

I trimmed my dads a couple weeks ago. It should have been done a couple years ago so it was a bigger job than it should have been. I think I did ok though. Saved some material for grafting.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 10:08:16 am »
Nicely done.  I love the authentic look of this bow.  Tiller looks really good.  Very cool
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 10:28:41 am »
Very cool bow. Every thing about it.   8)  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 02:20:27 pm »
I concur, cool bow!

My buddy Greg made me nearly the same as yours out of locust. I just stare at its beautiful lines.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 06:39:41 pm »
What everyone else has said + it will be an awesome hunting bow for those woodlands.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 08:08:25 pm »
looks great congrats,,

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 06:56:19 am »
Oh yeah, thats a beaut! I’ve got one like that from Badly Bent. Truly admire the artistry that gies into it
DevilsBeachSelfbows