Author Topic: Spiral fluflus  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Postman

Spiral fluflus
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:06:19 pm »
Hey pat - are those awesome flu's of yours made with a single "3 rivers" type flu wrapped spirally?  ??? do you have To tease them out before installation?
Thanks in advance for any help
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Spiral fluflus
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 01:39:48 pm »
Pat will be along I am sure ,but I can tell you no,You just attach it to the top and work your way down and around the shaft,I turn the where the quill's will face into the wind not with the wind.
I attach the top with a little staple and put the glue on the feather and rap,then attach to the bottom and after it is dry I pull out the staple and trim the ends and put a spot of glue on the ends.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:08:51 pm »
I do them similar to Pappy, wrap down the nock end so that the feather is attached at a bit of an angle to the shaft, then put superglue on the quill and wrap it to the front and tie it down, just like wrapping hackle when fly tying. One full-length feather will make a good 5 1/2"-6" spiral. You might want to do a dry test run or two before putting the glue on to judge how far apart to make the spirals.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:34:35 pm »
thanx!

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:38:07 pm »
One thing I have seen is that it makes a big diference in matching the wing to the direction of spiral. I am not sure which is "right" and which is wrong, but one way seems tosit very differently on the shaft to the other. A friend made a set and put thw spiral of one the other way. it looked andshot very different.
Mark in England

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:31:39 pm »
Yea, what they said. The last ones I did I just ties the nock end, spiraled the feather around the shaft and wrapped the fore end...no glue.
Postman, the full feathers you get from 3rivers is what my red flu flus are. You can make your own with goose or turkey but I prefer bright colored flu flus.   
   Mark, yes, there is a certain direction for each side of the feather but I'm not sure either. I just see which way works best. I have done it both ways and they both impede the arrow but the wrong way looks funny. ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:01:27 pm »
As an aside, I almost shot a blackbird with one a couple of minutes ago. I think it grazed his back.  ;D
   Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 01:17:27 am »
aim small, miss small! ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 01:28:55 pm »
good info guys. I prefer the bright colors too. I actually spray painted my "stump" arrows with blaze orange marking paint. When they hit and bounce, I can easily mark them with my horrible eyes, or send the rugrats on a quest to find them.  I hate looking for arrows. Now that it's greened up, it takes the fun out of practice, if a good shot turns into a 1/2 hour search. As many mentioned on a previous post, target butts don't really help me. Stumpin' rules!