Author Topic: Elm harvesting  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Muskyman

Elm harvesting
« on: May 02, 2023, 12:16:45 pm »
Have a 8-10 inch diameter elm I can harvest. Do you treat it like Osage and draw knife the bark and sapwood off, or does it come off like hickory does?  Leave the bark on and let it dry?  I think it’s a slippery elm.
Also how would you rate it as bow wood? As good as hickory, better?

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Elm harvesting
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 12:38:07 pm »
It will peel off this time of the year, leaving a perfect back.  Winged elm is great wood but I don't care for American elm.  I have never tried slippery elm.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 01:03:06 pm »
Not sure where you live. I'm in central Michigan and the bark wont slip off yet. Another 2-3 weeks and it will easily slip off. I have no problem with any of the elms, it's decent bow wood. Make it 1.75-2" wide and plenty long and you will like it. Tempering it is essential, like all white woods.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 02:21:02 pm »
Our local red elm in VA peels off pretty well in May, and makes a great bow.  Splitting it is a major bitch, though.  You might need a chainsaw to help get through the interlocking grain.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 02:42:01 pm »
Really hard to split. Chain saw is the ticket. Not real easy to work with, but my favorite white wood for bow making. Takes heat well, and can make a fine bow.
American elm is the only elm I have had access to, but never any complaints about it. In my area it can succumb to disease  often.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 03:03:55 pm »
You can also use a circular saw to put a kerf down its length. The split will follow it. That being said, I use saplings for nearly all my whitewood bows. I don't split them, just make a bow. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 04:22:27 pm »
PD I’m in southeastern Ohio. This tree is flowering right now. I’m probably going to give it a few more weeks before I cut it. Also have a few shagbark hickory trees out back I looked at last fall. Probably wait a while and get all of them about the same time. Not in a rush.
As far as the splitting goes, You are all right. I’m aware it’s a pain. Got some in the last of my firewood pile and I left it there for that very reason. I split my wood with a maul to help stay in shape and elm will either kept you in shape or kill you. Got to be the stringiest toughest stuff out there.
I’m guessing you have to let it dry for a year or so like other wood?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 09:54:44 am »
At least a year if left a full stave. Or, rough a bow out and stash it somewhere dry and controlled. You could get after it in a few months.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 02:37:16 pm »
 Chinese Elm is one of my favorite woods, about 5 years ago the city removed 20 of them, pipe straight with no twist or knots for about 8 ft. They were all about 24" in diameter. They piled them up for me but I was not able to get the portable saw mill out fast enough to process them and they were all hauled off. I was sick.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 06:52:51 pm »
Ouch, that really stinks Badger. I’d be heartbroken if that happened to me.. It’s tough enough to find decent bow wood without having it snatched away from you. I’m constantly looking for it now days. I’m slowly starting to get a little stockpile built up. I’ve yet to find any that I’d call great but I might stumble across some yet..

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 04:00:50 pm »
Harvested part of my elm tree today. Decided not to cut the tree down and just took one limb off it. Ended up with two staves that are pretty good sized. Might saw one of them into later on my bandsaw. Both staves are 77 inches in length..
I’m guessing dry it for a year or so?

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 01:36:34 am »
I’m guessing dry it for a year or so?

with care and monitoring, you can dry it in a month

start roughing out the bow, but leave the bow the thickness of the handle for now and the width you need full length  1-1/4 thick by 2-1/2 or whatever

seal the ends and up the sides for a few inches from the ends

it will loose a lot of water the first few days, then loose weight slower.  monitor daily for small checks forming and place in a cooler and or less dry place if checks start forming. (checks indicate the surface drying faster than the core) you can be more aggressive drying when more moisture has left

do you have a scale you can check the mass of the bow with and monitor the water loss?

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 09:00:22 am »
No scale but I have it on my list of things to buy. Probably let them sit for a while then maybe saw them into more manageable sizes. I put a couple good coats of polyurethane on them. Stashed them in my shed for now. Going to harvest some hickory out back and have some Osage that’s should be ready in September/October. Also have a few bows in the works, so not in a rush. I would like to speed them up some when I get more time to spend on them.
Thanks Willie

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2023, 01:42:01 pm »
some woods dry well with back and ends sealed but with split faces left unsealed
dunno about elm

Online Aksel

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2023, 02:46:42 pm »
What willie said about elm is good advice. In my experience elm doesn´t check much at the ends so I never seal ends. I typically split into staves and reduce thickness. Small diameter elm has an amazing tendency to take a huge back set (and warp), same thing if you reduce green stave to bow dimensions and then dry, so best tip is to leave the stave in uniform dimensions.

A scale and a digital moisture meter is cheap and worth its weight in gold. You just weigh the stave every day or so until no further weight loss. Elm looses moisture quickly and you can easily go from dripping green to finished bow in 30 days. With a scale and moisture meter.
Stoneagebows