Author Topic: 2023 bow trade - BUILD IN PROGRESS  (Read 12457 times)

Offline Kidder

2023 bow trade - BUILD IN PROGRESS
« on: June 01, 2023, 05:49:16 pm »
Welcome to the 2023 Primitive Archer Bow Trade! The purpose of the trade is to share our skills with our community here and make the BEST bow you have ever made for your recipient, and to have a lot of fun along the way! It really should hurt a little to send out your bow. This trade is about the bow you build, not the bow you receive. If you do not share this philosophy, then please do not sign up.  If you do share this then, let's get building!  The rules for the trade are listed below.

Please read this entire post before signing up so you know what you are getting into.  Here is how to sign up:

1.  Send me a PM with the following information:
     Full Name
     Full Address
     Email Address
     Telephone number
     Which Country(ies) you will ship to
ALSO PLEASE INCLUDE A LINK TO A SUCCESSFUL COMPLETED BOW YOU HAVE POSTED HERE - IT WILL MAKE MY LIFE EASIER!

2.  Reply to this post with, I'm in and include bow specs preferred
     Example:  LH or RH
     Draw Weight 45-55 pounds
     Draw length 27 to 29 inches

Here are the rules:
A.  In order to sign up, you must have posted at least one successful bow on this site.  Please don't be offended if I ask for verification. NEW THIS YEAR - if you previously participated but were unable to provide a successful bow in that trade, you must provide me with proof you have completed one successful bow since.
B.  All participants in this trade need to participate in the thread and post pictures of their progress,  Start out by posting a picture of the stave, staves, board, billets, etc. that you plan to use for the build.  then continue to post progress of your build. If a participant does not post the progress of their build then it is up to my discretion to remove them from the trade (I only do this after several failed attempts to communicate with you several different ways!)
C.  No bows should be shipped to someone that is not making progress on their bow.  If you are done with your bow and ready to ship, please be in touch with me to help decide if you should ship or not.
D.  Any participant that chooses can also build a second bow to be used as a reserve.  The reserve bows will be used to ensure that ALL participating members get a bow.  Please let me know if you plan to build a reserve bow so if it is needed I know who to contact.
E.  Deadline for signing up will be the end of the day, June 30th
F.  Shipping deadline will be Wednesday, January 1, 2024.
G.  Have fun.
H.  Communicate with me.  I understand things happen that can keep you from building a bow.  If this happens, the sooner you can let me know, the better.  I can then reshuffle the trade and everything can work out.
I. As an incentive for your hard work, if you finish your bow on time and meet the shipping deadline your name will go in the hat for a drawing. I haven't decided what it will be yet, but it'll be exciting - maybe a book, or a hand tool, or arrow shafts, or a jar of honey from my bees...we'll just have to wait and see! Two years ago Selfbowman graciously agreed to build a bow for the incentive raffle and it
turned out beautifully! Last year I donated a dozen sur-wood shafts. If anyone would like to build an incentive bow please let me know!

I’m going to participate and here are my stats
RH
26” draw
45-65 lbs

Let's make this a great trade!

Thank you.

Brendan
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 02:44:53 am by Kidder »

Offline Kidder

Re: 2023 bow trade - sign up open
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 07:11:02 pm »
I’m in!
RH
26” draw
45-65 lbs

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 07:37:44 pm »
I’m in
Rh
29”
48-55lbs
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 05:01:23 pm »
Exciting news for anyone who is entering the trade this year…Superdav95 has graciously volunteered to build a bow for the “on-time bow raffle”! Sounds like he will be building a heat treated bamboo backed hickory bow. So if you are on the fence about signing up this should get you into the ring! To be considered for the draw you have to enter the build, complete your bow and be ready to ship by the deadline. That’s it! Thank you Dave!

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 10:03:22 pm »
I'm in.
Lh
50lbs at 25in

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 11:36:02 am »
You beat me to it Dave. Well if I was in the trade I’d make sure I was on time. Nice jester Dave. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 05:35:06 pm »
Hey guys here’s some pics of the boo backed hickory and some stats on it.  It finished out at 47lbs at 27”.  At 10gpp it shot 181,183 and 185fps.  My chrono was acting up again so it was a struggle to get consistent readings but did eventually get some consistency in my readings.  It shoots fine at 28” draw too I just wanted to keep my gpp arrow weight at 10 so I pulled to 27”.   Good shooter and shoots very straight.  No weird arrow flight.  It’s near center shot shelf.  Very happy with this bow.  I kept it narrow on advice from others on here. 1.3” at widest then eventually tapered to the tips.  I kept my boo strip quite thin too on good advice from kidder here. I also toasted the boo strip belly slightly too.  Not too much to change much in Color but to rid most of moisture.  I had to flatten it again after this as it will swell a bit.   Whoever gets this bow will be happy with the way it shoots.  The handle area on this sliver of hickory was very narrow.  This is why I decided to build up the handle area with some rosewood.  I book ended the rosewood to get its grain to match and look good similar to what would be done with knife handle scales.  I ripped a solid piece down the middle and basically glued it to the handle area.  I had prepared the handle area with a taper as can be seen for visual effect.  I got luck with the glue up of the boo strip too and ended up with almost non existent glue lines.  Thanks for looking and figured I’d post this here to get those on the fence to sign up! ;).  Cheers. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 05:39:23 pm »
Few more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Kidder

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 08:15:54 pm »
What a beauty Dave! Someone is going to get really lucky this year!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 11:47:22 am »
Looks great Dave!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 10:36:41 am »

Offline Kidder

Re: 2023 bow trade - BUILD IN PROGRESS
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2023, 02:47:47 am »
Well it looks like there is only 3 of us this year. No sweat - we’ll have fun regardless. For the trade this year I’ll be building another Boo Yew I think. Once I get going I’ll post up some pictures.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 09:59:38 pm »
So here is the belly blank I intend to use. It’s starting as 71” long and 1 3/4” wide. Not totally sure dimensions I’ll go for yet. You can see that it is plain sawn, which I try to shoot for on boo backed bows if there are any knots. This way all the pins will run from belly to back and be protected by the boo instead of running off the side of the limb creating a potential weak spot. Just my preference.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2023, 10:29:35 pm »
Lookin like a good plan kidder. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2023, 12:43:20 pm »
Fellas.  Here’s my piece of wood I’m using for my bow trade this year.  It’s a very long piece of yew with very tight grain with great Color.    It’s fairly straight with a little deflex which I will steam out.  Here’s are some pics.  Suspect this will be around 67-68” in length final bow ttt.  Shooting for around 50lbs.  Here’s some pics of the piece of wood. 

superdav95@gmail.com