Author Topic: Boo backed hickory bow based on Arvin’s design.  (Read 4487 times)

Offline superdav95

Boo backed hickory bow based on Arvin’s design.
« on: July 02, 2023, 06:59:45 pm »
Similarly like Simk I too have been the benefactor of getting to know Arvin and build a few bows based on his design.  This bow is a tribute of sorts to the bow he sent to me and I tweaked a few things that were insignificant but added my own touches.  This bow is 68.5” ttt and it pulls 50lbs at 28”.  It is a heat treated hickory stave bow build backed with a boo strip.  It’s about 1.3-1.4” widest point narrowing to about 3/8” or slightly less at the tips.  I used Buffalo horn overlays and kept them smaller to reduce the weight.  The speed I got from this bow was very good at 187fps on average at 9.2gpp.   It retained about 4.5” reflex after shooting in.  It’s mass is just over 600grams.  I have not put a leather wrap on it yet but will do it soon.  It shoots very straight and the deep shelf is near center shot.  Quite happy with this bow.  Here’s a few pics.  Thanks for looking. 

Dave
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Boo backed hickory bow based on Arvin’s design.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 07:04:10 pm »
Few more…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 07:21:13 pm »
so many outstanding bows!  That boo backed hickory looks very fast... great work as always.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 07:53:31 pm »
Another beautiful bow, very nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 07:59:15 pm »
Yep, looks awesome, and fast. Professional job.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 08:56:08 pm »
Thanks guys! 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 12:18:30 am »
Very nice bow, and sounds like quite a performer.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 06:17:18 am »
lovely work... I can't help wondering how far it would throw a flight arrow :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Will B

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 08:05:46 am »
Beautiful bow!  You are putting out some really nice bows!  I love the full draw and your finish work is top notch.

I’m working on a similar BBH and have a few questions on your build. Is this one asymmetric?  If so, how much longer did you make the top limb? 

I’m hoping to use a hickory stave and was wondering how you flattened and prepared the back of the stave for the bamboo. Thanks!

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 08:20:10 am »
Another beautiful fast bow, as usual.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 09:00:17 am »
The bamboo on the back looks awesome.  Is that just dye rubbed in?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 10:43:24 am »
The bamboo on the back looks awesome.  Is that just dye rubbed in?

Thanks Aaron.  Yes it’s leather dye rubbed in.  I use a progressive approach going from lighter Colors to dark.  I use heat gun for mild heat in between the different Colors.  This keeps the creeping and bleeding of Colors to a minimum and allows you to rub it and blend it manually with a rag.  It allows you to get the blend you want. I’ll use a fairly dry rag for this step.   Hope this helps.  I may have to post a short vid on how I do it maybe if there is an interest.  I’m sure there is many ways to do this and get a good result.  I also lightly sand the back of the boo to just remove a little of the film so the dye will penetrate in some spots.   Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 10:44:15 am »
Another beautiful fast bow, as usual.

Thanks mike!

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 11:00:14 am »
Beautiful bow!  You are putting out some really nice bows!  I love the full draw and your finish work is top notch.

I’m working on a similar BBH and have a few questions on your build. Is this one asymmetric?  If so, how much longer did you make the top limb? 

I’m hoping to use a hickory stave and was wondering how you flattened and prepared the back of the stave for the bamboo. Thanks!

Thanks will!   Yes go for it it’s a great combo and performs well.  You can reach out to me in dm or email too.  Yes it is asymmetrical with top an inch longer.  Basically I use my fingers and a pencil to mark a fairly consistent line along the sides for the back removal of any crown to flat.  I’ve used files wrasps for this and have used my belt sander for deeper crowns.  You basically want to get it flat and scuffed well for glue up.  I also use the belt sander for my boo strip.  My poles are mosso poles which I get whole In 10 foot lengths.  I’m sure the boo strips would be easier if you can get them.  I found that the strips are more convenient for sure for these builds.  I buy the poles myself instead as I like having the option of other bamboo bow builds like the 5 piece bows where wider limb pieces are used.  I also lightly toast the belly of my strips too.  This step may be unnecessary if you get good dry strips.  I know guys that don’t toast the belly of their boo strips and have good results too. I just started doing this step as I know what it does for my other bamboo bow builds and helps remove excess moisture if any.  Anyway going into way more detail here message me if you like.  Cheers. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2023, 11:20:08 am »
lovely work... I can't help wondering how far it would throw a flight arrow :)
Del

Thanks Del!   My plan is to get one like this done up and send to Arvin for him to test out. Heck I may just send him this one.  I do have my eye on a very clean hickory stave that I may reserve that.  This bow here has some minor splits out towards the tips on the belly I didn’t like although they are hardly noticeable I know they are there.  They filled in nice but still.   It would be very cool indeed to have a flight record bow.  We shall see.  He and I have been discussing this idea of flight testing for a bit.  Thanks again. 

superdav95@gmail.com